Mr Jonathan Hughes

Consultant ENT / Head and Neck / Thyroid Surgeon Jonathan Hughes graduated from the University of Bristol Medical School in 2000. He received training in Plastic Surgery, Neurosurgery and General Surgery prior to starting Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) training in London. His higher surgical training included placements at recognised centres of excellence, including The Royal National Throat, Nose and Ear, Imperial College, University College, and St Bartholomew's Hospitals. During his ENT training, Jonathan was awarded the Royal College of Surgeons of England Research Fellowship to undertake basic science research into viral gene therapy for the treatment of cancer. This research was conducted at the Barts Cancer Institute, London and culminated in the award of PhD in 2013. Following ENT training and research, he completed two Royal College of Surgeons of England accredited fellowships forming the basis for his super-specialist interests. The Imperial College Head and Neck Fellowship focused on management of benign and malignant tumours of the head and neck. The North Thames Laryngology Fellowship was based at the National Centre for Airway Reconstruction at Charing Cross Hospital and focused on the management of voice, airway and swallowing disorders. In 2014, Jonathan completed a travelling fellowship to two international centres of excellence in the USA. Memorial Sloan-Kettering is the top cancer hospital in the USA and Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania is a pioneering centre for the use of robotic technology in head and neck surgery. During this time he learnt the very latest minimally-invasive techniques used by world leaders in the field. Following a Consultant appointment at Oxford University Hospitals, he was appointed as a Consultant ENT / Head and Neck Surgeon at University College London Hospitals and Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trusts in 2015. https://uk.linkedin.com/in/jonathanhughesentsurgeon

8th September 2017
Written by a patient at Spire Bushey Hospital

From the opening consultation Jonathan was great, he inspired confidence, listened, wanted to know my complete medical history, prior to the current year, in the lead up to the treatment. Also I did not feel rushed and there were plenty of chances to ask questions and all arrangements were about what suited me, so the whole experience felt like a 5 start service. With reference to my surgery it was very clean, concise and accurate and i recovered very quickly, with no infection. I was also seen by him before and after the operation in the hospital, to again, answer questions, see if i was okay and generally reassure / explain any procedures to be undertaken. I would be more than happy to recommended him to any friends and in fact have already passed on his details to a friend at work.

2nd September 2017
Written by a patient at University College Hospital

Dr Hughes was very helpful and informative. He answered all questions asked which put me at ease.

18th July 2017
Written by a patient at University College Hospital

I was anxious and he put me at ease. He gained my trust and I was confident in his ability both surgically and in the consulting room. He was thorough in his investigations and gave me the time I needed. He was pleasant and made a stressful episode much easier to cope with. I would like to thank him for being generally brilliant and lovely.

15th July 2017
Written by a carer at Spire Bushey Hospital

Would like to thank Dr Jonathan Hughes for his professionalism and attentiveness during my minor operation. I found him to be informative and reassured me through the whole process. I couldn't be more pleased with the results of my surgery, scaring is minimal and has healed nicely. I would happily recommend Dr Hughes and look forward to future consulatation.

14th July 2017
Written by a patient at University College Hospital

Everyone member of staff I encountered at the head and neck unit at UCH was kind and courteous and helpful and professional and made my diagnosis and surgery a very calm and pleasant experience. From the admin staff at reception who kept me informed about the schedule, to the porter who took me to surgery and gave me the correct measures of water, to the anaesthetist and surgeon who put my mind at ease about the procedure and the nurses who cared for me when I regained consciousness and the catering staff who provided very nice food and a cheery smile, I was absolutely delighted wth them all. Jonathan Hughes has a wonderful team and just like the others, was able to make time to answer all my questions in language I can understand. All hospitals are staffed by good people but there must be something special about the way UCH Head and Neck is managed because they are all on top form all the time and that can't be a coincidence. It's not as though I am an easy-going patient - I think other hospitals might classify me as a little "difficult", yet at UCH Head and Neck I never once felt uncomfortable about the information I was given or the way I was treated. It was perfect.

Nearest Endocrinologists