Mr Raman Malhotra

Raman Malhotra is an award-winning ophthalmic and oculoplastic surgeon whose work has received international recognition. He runs courses, gives lectures and speaks at medical institutions and conferences worldwide on topics ranging from facial nerve palsy to eyelid lifts and tear trough fillers. He has written textbooks and numerous medical papers that have been published in leading journals. He also runs a successful fellowship programme. In 2007, Mr Malhotra received the American Academy of Ophthalmology Achievement Award and in September 2011 he was awarded a National Clinical Excellence Award by the Department of Health and in December 2015 he was awarded as Silver National Clinical Excellence Award by the Department of Health. He has expertise in eyelid, orbital and lacrimal disorders. In particular, aesthetic eyelid surgery, ptosis surgery, thyroid eye disease, watery eyes, facial palsy, eyelid skin cancer management and reconstruction and facial dystonias such as blepharospasm. His website is: www.ramanmalhotra.com

2nd February 2016
Written by a patient at The Mcindoe Centre

I first met Mr Malhotra over four years ago. While living overseas I suffered from thyroid eye disease - it wasn't the worst example of the condition, however due to late diagnosis it had quite a detrimental affect on both my vision, eye comfort and facial appearance. Once I had recovered I returned to the UK and consulted with numerous surgeons to discuss surgery to restore my appearance. Of those surgeons Mr Malhotra was the most empathetic, professional and thorough, however I made the disastrous mistake of choosing another surgeon who was recommended to me via a cosmetic surgery forum, primarily due to cost. As a result of a very poorly performed surgery with numerous errors I was left with disfigurements and functional problems far worse than those caused by my illness. I have had to undergo almost three years of reconstructive surgery costing tens of thousands of pounds with still more to undergo - some of the problems are not fixable. In the course of seeking repair for my facial problems, I felt it would be prudent to consult with Mr Malhotra again and for once, I made the correct choice! I never felt that I could regain my old appearance and was fairly convinced there was no surgical solution that could help me anywhere in the world. Mr Malhotra proposed a conservative surgery that would go as far as possible to restoring my old eye shape without risking further damage. Mr Malhotra, his staff and medical team were kind, supportive and professional from my first consultation to final check up and I am overjoyed with the results - I feel I resemble myself more than I ever thought possible - particularly without invasive surgery. I do regret my decision not to opt for Mr Malhotra years ago and feel I have learned a very difficult (and expensive lesson)!

29th January 2016
Written by a patient at Spire Gatwick Park Hospital

The doctor who diagnosed me as suffering from ptosis of one eye, strongly recommended Mr Raman Malhottra for treatment. When I consulted Raman Malhottra, he was very thorough in the examination he undertook and in addition to confirming the doctor's diagnosis, he also diagnosed that my other eyelid was suffering from ptosis as well. His explanation to me of the possible effects of the ailment, if neglected, was clear and persuasive. The surgery was successful and the aftercare he recommended was what was needed and my eyesight in both eyes was back to normal in the timescale he predicted The follow-up consultations were re-assuring and not only does he have the necessary professional skills, he also possesses excellent manner when dealing with patients

24th January 2016
Written by a member of staff at Spire Gatwick Park Hospital

Raman Malhotra has been really kind and gently with me, but also professional. I'm an italian doctor in Nucleare Medecine, and I have an annoing epiphora since 2014, after a cronic use of eye drops because of allergy. After having discovered this problem, I was visited by many different italian ophthalmologist.... with the same diagnosis "epiphora" due to the block of both lacrimal calanicula and the same advise to solve the problem: installation on Jones tube. This technique is demolitive and not 100% conclusive. I was quite upset and disappointed, so I decided to find other solution doing a reaserch on web (pubmed) and I found an article written by Dr Malohtra, in which epiphora had been treated using botox. I decided to contact him by email and to go in UK to meet him. The visit was well done, with lots of examintaions to evalute my situation. Finally Dr Malhotra decided thatnow for me the best solution is the botox injection and he made it after having explained me all procedure, pro and con. Injection is very quick and painless and the result is visible in a week and it lasts for 4-6 months. In my case the epiphora is not disappeared but is improves and for me It's just a great succes. I'm very glad to have come in Uk to meet him and I really appreciated his professionality and his availability.

9th January 2016
Written by a patient at The Mcindoe Centre

Fat Transfer to the Face I was recommended to Mr Malhotra by a nurse 'in the business' and my initial concern was eye bags. I hadn't expected to be offered treatment to my face as a whole, nor had I expected the option of what seemed to me a potentially more natural and less invasive procedure... and one that was also relatively low cost. The initial consultation was followed up by a thorough letter, detailing the choices and pros and cons, and the same attention to detail was given to pre and post-operative information. The day in hospital was helped by being well cared for by staff and it was reassuring to see and speak with Mr Malhotra, who has a gentle manner and is clearly very experienced in his field. Recovery time felt a little nerve racking for me; with changes in swelling it is difficult to judge quite how things will settle down. I knew I could make contact if I had concerns but instructions were sufficient and a follow-up at 10 days was perfect. I found I could return to work after two weeks and am now looking forward to the second follow-up in another two months (it is a little over 5 weeks since my operation now). There are quite a number of benefits to fat transfer and I'm certainly pleased with the results.

8th January 2016
Written by a patient at The Mcindoe Centre

Fat Transfer Surgery Raman Malhotra was recommended to me by a nurse 'in the business' over my concern about eye bags. At the initial consultation I was asked what I wanted to achieve and was given a indication of possible treatments... a detailed letter outlining the pros and cons of different options followed and I was impressed and happy (but nervous) to go ahead with fat transfer to the face, after a further discussion. What I hadn't expected was both the relative low cost of this treatment and Mr Malhotra's attention to optimal results - the fat transfer was not only to my eyes but to my face as a whole. Clear instructions pre and post surgery, rather like the first letter, followed and now, 4 weeks after the surgery, I am relieved to say that all was pretty much as predicted (which includes contending with swelling - no bruising or need to massage any lumps for me). I was able to return to work after two weeks and I did follow instructions to rest well and remove plasters etc within the proper time frame etc., in that two week period. (There was a follow up appointment after 10 days to check on progress - and contact numbers for concerns in the interim.) I had hardly heard of this form of surgery prior to the initial consultation and there really do seem to be quite a lot of benefits over other treatments (fat doesn't dissolve completely over time in the same was as artificial fillers, for example)... it certainly has made a very positive improvement to my appearance. I'm glad I followed up on the initial recommendation!

Nearest Ophthalmologists