mr-gokulan-ratnarajan

Mr Gokulan Ratnarajan

Written by a private patient at The Mcindoe Centre
23rd June 2021

I found Mr G Ratnarajan a charming young man, who treated me with respect and kindness. He described the two procedures to me, and explained that my left eye, due to a condition I had would take a little longer. In the event both operations went extremely well and I am delighted with the results.I would strongly recommend anyone needing eye surgery to get an appointment with Mr Ratnarajan.

Written by a private patient at Queen Victoria Hospital
23rd June 2021

In June 2021 I was unable to continue driving due to cataracts in both eyes, although I had got used to the vision that I had. After two weeks I have had both cataracts removed, without pain, and Mr. Ratnarajan and his team have opened up my eyes to clear, full colour vision. I thoroughly recommend taking this step as it unlocks your world - I wish I had been brave enough to do it sooner. Many thanks.

11th March 2021

From an early age I have been short sighted and this, along with a family history of glaucoma, meant that my eyes were checked regularly. Over time, my sight deteriorated and my eye pressure increased. Cataracts formed in both eyes and in my mid 60s, the optician informed me that my sight was just about good enough to drive legally, although I had already given up night time driving due to being unable to cope with glare from oncoming car lights. On the recommendation of my optician, I met with Gok Ratnarajan to discuss possible treatment for both glaucoma and cataracts. Various tests were carried out and, on assessing the results, he outlined a number of options available which could help with my sight and longer term, with helping to reduce eye pressure. This involved inserting stents in both eyes to help with relieving pressure and a selection of different lens available when the cataracts were removed. These options were outlined in a clear way, detailing benefits and any potential side effects. At the end of this discussion, I agreed with the insertion of stents and chose toric lens. About a month later, surgery was completed on my left eye and six days later on my right. Although I knew my eyes were not great, I really hadn’t appreciated how much difference new lens and removing the cataracts would make. From the moment I left hospital following the first operation, the difference in my eyesight was immediately evident. It was as if a net curtain had been drawn back. I could easily read car number plates from a distance. Car lights were no longer dazzling and watching the scenery as we drove home, the colours were wonderfully clear. Living by the sea, it was a delight to be able to pick out sea birds skimming across the waves, something which I would have struggled to make out pre surgery. Admittedly it was a bit strange living without glasses after more than 60 years wearing them, but adjusting didn’t take long. I could use the computer without squinting to make out the screen and a cheap pair of reading glasses sufficed short term until my eyes settled down sufficiently for prescription glasses to be obtained. Perhaps most noticeable of all, I wasn’t constantly squinting over, through, round my glasses, struggling to make out details on TV or intricacies when constructing/painting model kits, which is incredibly frustrating. Everything became clearer. I knew exactly what to expect from my eyes. Distance/middle distance work did not necessitate the use of glasses. It was only close work that required help. It is almost impossible to explain the relief of trusting exactly what your eyes can do. Nearly six months on from surgery, both eyes have settled down and I am delighted with my day-to-day vision. Pressure has reduced slightly in both eyes. Prescription glasses have been selected for close work. Apart from being delighted with my vision, I am very grateful to Gok and his team for their professionalism and help in challenging times.

Written by a NHS patient at Queen Victoria Hospital
5th February 2021

I consider myself truly fortunate to be under the care of Mr Gok Ratnarajan. From the moment I first met him in the Corneo Plastic Clinic I felt so comfortable with his easy manner whilst he explained to me, the situation with my eye health. I had been with another Clinic for a few years, which no longer practiced and had to find an alternative hospital clinic to help me find the way forward with my Glaucoma and worsening cataracts. It felt like a great weight had been lifted from my shoulders to hear everything Mr Ratnarajan was explaining to me in such an easy to understand way. I had and felt total confidence in what would eventually have to take place. Mr Ratnarajan has definitely got empathy - he is very kind, and is so dedicated to his work, I would say, passionate about it. He's extremely professional and totally efficient. I have recently had combined cataract and glaucoma surgery which involved stents being inserted into my eyes and cataracts removed. I thought I could never go through with it without a general anaesthetic - but with Mr Ratnarajan's reassuring explanation of what would take place, I - over a period of months, finally decided to go ahead with the operations (separately of course) - when the time came, and having a local anaesthetic. There was absolutely nothing to worry about and it is a short procedure. Recovery is not long at all, and the improvement to my sight is incredible - so much better than when I was a teenager - without glasses! I am now 75 - and it has changed my life really.. I owe my grateful thanks to the amazing surgeons doctors and nurses who were involved with both my operations and also the laser treatment pre surgery - to help prevent further drainage issues - I'm so pleased to have had that which Mr Ratnarajan performed around 18 months ago. I had wonderful care, not only during my surgeries, but before and following. Both teams at the Queen Victoria Hospital and the McIndoe Centre were so helpful and encouraging making sure I was comfortable and OK. Very impressive attention to all details in the Theatres - and at every test before reaching the operation table... Special thanks also to Dr Natalia Maes and Dr. Khan - I very much appreciated your expertise - thank you so much. I could not ask for more. Thank you so much, I am so happy to be at the Queen Victoria for this very special and ongoing care. Mr Ratnarajan - thank you for all you do, for the enormous difference you make to patients' lives.

Written by a patient at Queen Victoria Hospital
26th December 2020

Mr Ratnarajan operated in Novembe 2020 to extract and replace cataracts in both my eyes at the McKindoe Centre, East Grinstead. All rooms were bright, modern and tidy. The staff, without exception, were all attentive and wonderfully patient, and incidentally in uniform with clear name badges. In theatre all equipment was stowed neatly under sterile covers. All the nurses were careful and kind and stayed within theatre when wearing sterile garments.They marked, checked, rechecked and rechecked the operation site and recited their intentions. Otherwise apart from a gentle reassuring commentary by the surgeon, there was no talking in theatre. All as it should be, but only seen after deciding to proceed with the operation, which was painless and without later complications. I did not realize how poor my eyesight had been and was astonished at how bright and clear everything had become afterwards, which is all that matters. I am hugely grateful to Mr Rajnarajan, not only for his remarkable skill, and courtesy of wearing a suit when not operating, but particularly for his detailed explanations before admission, and and also for sending copies of all relevant letters and history. This is totally unique in my experience of healthcare, the proper thing to do, and was a great help in giving me a positive and less anxious attitude to the surgical procedures. I offer my thanks to everyone in the team. It was a pleasure to meet Mr Rajnarajan and all in the team at the McKindoe centre.

Mr Gokulan Ratnarajan, BSc MBBS FRCOphth, is a Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon and Head of Glaucoma at the world renowned Eye Unit in Queen Victoria Hospital, East Grinstead. Through Innovation and Excellence Mr Ratnarajan’s has improved the quality of care and treatment options available to cataract and glaucoma patients. Mr Ratnarajan’s research has won numerous national and international awards and receives referrals nationally for complex cataract and glaucoma management. Read more about Mr Ratnarajan’s profile and innovative approach to patient care at www.innovationeyeclinic.co.uk

Nearest Ophthalmologists