Mr Gerard McGowan

• Ophthalmology

26th April 2018
Written by a patient at Gartnavel Royal Hospital

I cannot recommend the services of Dr McGowan enough. This guy is so good at his job but his manner with a patient is just exceptional. Eye surgery can be intimidating but Dr McGowan's happy, confident and knowledgeable approach puts you at ease and having undergone 2 surgeries with this chap already, I cannot stress how safe you are in his hands. Top notch, five star surgeon, classy, good banter and very good taste in music. Dr McGowan thank you!

29th March 2018
Written by a patient at Gartnavel Royal Hospital

I had a detached retina 45 years ago when I was 19 years old. Unfortunately the operation, though successful, left with me with only partial sight in my right eye. My left eye was very short sighted and over the past few years I developed a very dense cataract in my right eye as well as the beginnings of a cataract in my left eye. My optician referred me for a cataract operation but I was disappointed after having consultations with two doctors. Both advised me that due to my extreme short sight and previous operation they felt a cataract operation would be too risky. I had resigned myself to the fact that my eyesight would slowly deteriorate and I would eventually go blind. Then I received an appointment for a consultation with Dr McGowan at Gartnavel and that, quite literally, has changed my life. He felt confident that he would be able to help and his positive attitude gave me hope. I had both cataracts removed before Christmas and it has been nothing short of a miracle! The care I received was exceptional and my sight has improved so much that I no longer require glasses to drive or to read a book. My optician has told me it is the best result she has seen for someone who was as short-sighted as myself. Dr McGowan is very approachable and has an infectious confidence and I am in awe of his surgical skills. I really can’t thank him enough for improving my life in this way.

8th September 2017
Written by a patient at Crosshouse Hospital

Looking back on the past year, I realise how fortunate I have been, in having such a excellent surgeon ..... Dr McGowan has been amazing. A year ago, I was involved in a serious accident .... A bearing the size of a fist exploded under pressure, and smashed into my face ..... It was a high impact metal injury, lens damage, retina tear serious trauma plus haemorrhages and then later pressure in the eye rocketed ..... After various repairs, I eventually had an implant in arterial chamber and the iris reconstructed. At A&E the eye specialist was first class, and contacted Dr McGowan ...... My first thought was I am going abroad on holiday in a few days, can it be fixed before I go, or after I come back ..... I did not appreciate the seriousness of the damage, but quickly realised when Dr McGowan said that I could not fly, and that our priority was to save the eye and as much sight as possible ...... One year later, after a few surgeries, lots of appointments, I now fully appreciate how dedicated Dr McGowan is in ensuring his patients have the best possible care. After surgery to repair the damage to the eye, it was then a case of wait and see how much sight was saved and how the eye recovered .... Waiting to see what the eye pressure would do, was a concern, as the eye does not like trauma .... Unfortunately the eye pressure did go crazy, but thankfully another colleague was an expert in that field, and managed to bring it under control with some laser surgery .... My thanks to Dr Inglis also. Now, after the arterial/ lens implant , most of my sight has been saved, and apart from monitoring the pressure, I have few side effects after such a serious injury ..... Whilst doing the implant, Dr McGowan even managed to reconstruct the iris, this helped dramatically with the appearance of the eye ..... Now at first glance or with glasses on, my eye now looks as close to normal as possible. Years ago, I would have simply lost the eye, to think that it was repaired in three different areas, the amount of sight saved is amazing. I truly appreciate all the work Dr McGowan has done, and feel that his fantastic manner, and calm attitude helped me in dealing with the damage .... Thank you again, I really appreciate all that was done.

7th August 2017
Written by a patient at Abbey Carrick Glen Hospital

Being partially blind already and having a dense cataract on my seeing eye, this operation had to be a success. My first consultation with Mr McGowan went extremely well and he understood the ugency and how precious it was for me to have the correct outcome. I suffered a stroke in January this year and have comunication and mobility problems. Mr McGowan made me feel at ease when assessing my problems. I was seen on the Friday and my operation was scheduled for the following Tuesday, which was fantastic! My operation turned out to be a challenging one and I was in theatre longer than usual, but the outcome has been life changing and has helped me a huge deal with my stroke recovery as well as everyday life. I would highly recommend Mr McGowan as he is very professional, caring and compassionate.

11th January 2017
Written by a patient at Ayr Hospital

I had various eye problems before being referred to Mr McGowan a few months ago. He immediately put my mind at ease and explained what treatment was required. He made a phone call and I left the consultation with an appointment for surgery only two weeks later. On the day of surgery I was again taken through the procedure in a very professional and comforting manner. It as also evident that the whole team responded well to each other with a few laughs thrown in for good measure. The procedure went well, as did the recovery, with the timescales described by Mr McGowan being spot on. I now have an appointment for treatment on my other eye which was again arranged surprisingly quickly. All in all I've had excellent treatment carried out very quickly. Mr McGowan not only knows exactly what he is talking about but he also has a great "bedside manner". No concerns at all, great experience from start to finish.

Nearest Ophthalmologists