25th January 2019
Written by a patient at Gartnavel General Hospital

I was treated at Gartnavel over a period of three months with exceptional care throughout. Gerard McGowan was open with wonderful manner. Prior to Vitrectomy Surgery he gave a confident air and there was a relaxed atmosphere. I felt lucky to have been referred to, and treated by, Mr McGowan.

23rd January 2019
Written by a patient at Gartnavel General Hospital

Dr McGowan is professional and approachable. He is clearly a very skilled surgeon and leads his team well. I was an emergency retinal detachment case and 6 months pregnant at the time. I am so grateful and pleased with the care I received. My sight was fully restored and the experience positive due to the honest and high quality care I received. I only wish there was time and an avenue to thank him and his team for their care.

6th December 2018
Written by a patient at Gartnavel General Hospital

From the first appointment with Dr McGowan ,I was seen promptly and underwent a Vitrectomy at Gartnavel promptly. I was fully advised by him of my condition,and the options available , and fully briefed on what was involved in the procedure. I was confident I was in safe hands , and appreciated Dr McGowans knowledge and skill as a retinal surgeon. I particularly appreciated his relaxed and positive attitude to his work. The team around him ,including the ward staff were so kind and supportive. I fully appreciate the treatment I received and will be forever grateful to Dr McGowan for a successful outcome to my surgery. When I see at the clinic the complex and life changing work he does there is really no words to express that.

19th November 2018
Written by a patient at Gartnavel General Hospital

Dr McGowan has a very caring, friendly manner which put me at ease. I had total confidence in him. I would say the care I received was excellent!

9th August 2018
Written by a patient at The Glasgow Nuffield Hospital

I suffered a detached retina before Christmas and due to circumstances (flying out to Canada for 10 days) and not realising what my symptoms meant it remained detached for nearly two weeks. I was referred as an emergency to Dr McGowan and was examined and operated on in a matter of hours. I have since developed a cataract, which tends to be expected after retina surgery, and Dr McGowan removed this. I cannot praise the treatment I received highly enough. Dr McGowan put me at ease and at every stage explained the procedures and what I could expect. He impressed me with his easy going manner and approachability. I have been told by my optician that I am extremely fortunate to have the quality of eyesight I have considering the length of time my retina was detached. I consider it not a matter of fortune, but the skill and attention that was given to me by Dr McGowan. After surgery I require no different prescription reading glasses than I did before this occurred. During my operation Dr McGowan calmly and professionally mentored a student who carried out my surgery. He had an excellent manner with the student, yet ensured throughout the procedure that she carried out the surgery exactly as he would have completed it, giving her guidance and advice when necessary. I am very grateful and thankful for the treatment I received under this surgeon.

Nearest Ophthalmologists