Mr Mamun Rahman

Mr Mamun Rahman (GMC no. 6048722) is a substantive NHS Consultant at two Glasgow hospitals: the New Stobhill Hospital, and the New Victoria Infirmary. He also has sessions at the Golden Jubilee National Hospital. He is a very experienced cataract surgeon performing over 800 cataract operations annually. Audits show his surgery is currently 6 times safer than the national average for cataract surgery (last updated 2/11/18, based on 3775 consecutive cases). He also has an interest in minimally invasive surgeries (MIGS) and non surgical laser treatments for glaucoma, and has inserted more iStent MIGS devices than anyone else in Scotland. He has an interest in teaching and is an Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer with the University of Glasgow Medical School where is in charge of the teaching programme for South Glasgow. Mr Rahman is also an official Examiner for the FRCS (Ophthalmology) examinations. A Dundonian by birth, he completed his undergraduate training at Edinburgh Medical School. His ophthalmic training was undertaken at the internationally respected Tennent Institute of Ophthalmology in Glasgow during which time he was the recipient of the Pfizer Ophthalmology Medal (2005). He has also broadened his knowledge with training in famous institutions such as the Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia, U.S.A.

10th October 2019
Written by a patient at BMI Ross Hall Hospital

I had two cataract operations carried out by Dr Mamun Rahman in 2017. I attended consultations with him pre and post these operations. His manner at consultations gives one complete confidence in his ability. His explanation of his diagnosis and the treatment required could not have been clearer. During the operations, carried out under local anaesthetic, he clearly explained exactly what he was doing and reassured me that all was well. I had complete confidence in his ability. Post operation, I asked him to review me every six months, and this he has done in a very clear and confident way. It was a great shock to me when I learned that eye operations were necessary. I am very grateful to Dr Rahman for his excellent services to me. I have no hesitation in recommending him.

5th October 2019
Written by a patient at BMI Ross Hall Hospital

I started my treatment with Mr Mamun Rahman in May for cataract surgery. He has a very calm, confident personality and immediately put me at ease. My surgery took place a few weeks later and I can honestly say I did not feel any pain. Mr Rahman chatted throughout. I had no marks at all on my eye the next day. A few weeks later following my surgery I developed fluid which affected my vision. Thankfully Mr Rahman reassured me that this would resolve. He requested a scan for me and prescribed eye drops. He also advised to put the other cataract operation on hold as it could happen again but he would start the drops the day before surgery. He is a very experienced surgeon and I had complete confidence in him. The fluid did resolve and I had my second cataract operation done in August. He personally returned a call I made to Ross Hall with a query regarding my medication and gave me advice about resuming my regular chiropractor appointments. My treatment has now been completed and my optician tells me I have 20/20 vision. I would highly recommend Mr Rahman. I appreciate the support I received from him.

11th August 2019
Written by a patient at Golden Jubilee National Hospital

I have just come across this site.Dr Rahman did my cataract surgery in May 2016 and Sept 2016 in the Golden Jubilee Hospital.Put simply he was BRILLIANT and I have alot to thank him for.I wore glasses from the age of 4 and now I just need them for reading.It was like a light being switched on for me.Yes I was uptight but with Dr Rahman and his team beside me it was great.I know this is late in thanking Dr Rahman but better late than never and thanks also to his team.His work was exceptional and I was very fortunate he did both my eyes.So thank you Dr Rahman. He was at my preassment and also came into the waiting room for my right eye surgery and we both remembered each other. He commented that I had really benefited from this surgery.Anyone who is going for this surgery all I can say is go for it the benefits are amazing.

11th July 2019
Written by a patient at BMI Ross Hall Hospital

Received excellent care from Mr Rahman for recent cataract surgery. During the consultation process he made himself available to discuss my anxieties about different lens types, both at consultation and subsequently on the telephone. He was very pleasant and a good communicator. The surgery went very well and he was reassuring and thorough during the procedure. Post operatively my recovery has been excellent with no bruising and good vision immediately. I would highly recommend Mr Rahmann

10th July 2019
Written by a patient at BMI Ross Hall Hospital

I first met Mr Rahman 5 weeks ago after removing myself from the NHS waiting list for a cataract removal. He greatly impressed me from the onset with his very personable manner. My operation was successfully carried out just one week later. Mr Rahman was most reassuring throughout the whole process. I now have my quality of life back and am most grateful to him. He is a delightful gentleman and I would highly recommend him to everyone. My only regret is that I didn't contact him sooner!

Nearest Ophthalmologists