mr-mamun-rahman

13th October 2020

I have recently undergone 2 phases of surgery on both eyes: in each case this involved cataract surgery and iStent insertion. This resulted in my vision in each eye being classified as greater than 20/20. For the first time in 55 years, I no longer require glasses, other than for reading. This has had a dramatic effect on my day to day life. His professionalism and guidance through what at the outset seemed daunting procedures, resulted in a calm and reassuring experience throughout. I wish to express my sincere gratitude to Mr Rahman and his entire team.

15th September 2020

In my opinion, Mr Rahman, who has operated on me 4 times; 2 glaucoma, 2 cataract operations, has been outstanding, each time making the process easier than the previous and installing in me a confidence and trust that could not be surpassed. I would like to extend my sincere thanks to him for giving me my sight back.

11th February 2020

I have recently had cataract surgery with Mr Rahman, and as a very nervous patient, he put me totally at ease. After initial consultation, it was deemed necessary to have surgery on both eyes. Mr Rahman put me totally at ease during surgery, and spoke to me explaining the procedure while he was working. His manner , while being totally professional at all times, was very calming and soothing. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Mr. Rahman to anyone considering cataract surgery. The results I have had are truly amazing. Many thanks.

Written by a carer at Stobhill Hospital
4th February 2020

Yesterday my 93 year old mum had an op to remove a cataract from her right eye. Mr Rahman had overseen my mum's treatment plan and he also performed the procedure at Stobhill Hospital. My mum has a few things wrong with her eyes and I imagine this would have made the removal of the cataract a bit more complicated. Mr Rahman took the time to introduce himself to my mum before the op and this really settled her and made her much more calm. Immediately after the op Mr Rahman came and spoke to me to say that everything had gone well and that my mum had done very well. This morning when I woke my mum for breakfast the first thing she said was," Oh it's very bright in here!" For a 93 year old who had been living with a very dulled down version of the world it was such a lovely surprise. Today she has been looking at a magazine and really appreciating seeing her surroundings again. We are very grateful for the first class treatment she received.

Mr Mamun Rahman (GMC no. 6048722) is a substantive NHS Consultant at two Glasgow hospitals: the New Stobhill Hospital, and the New Victoria Infirmary. He also has sessions at the Golden Jubilee National Hospital. He is a very experienced cataract surgeon performing over 800 cataract operations annually. Audits show his surgery is currently 6 times safer than the national average for cataract surgery (last updated 2/11/18, based on 3775 consecutive cases). He also has an interest in minimally invasive surgeries (MIGS) and non surgical laser treatments for glaucoma, and has inserted more iStent MIGS devices than anyone else in Scotland. He has an interest in teaching and is an Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer with the University of Glasgow Medical School where is in charge of the teaching programme for South Glasgow. Mr Rahman is also an official Examiner for the FRCS (Ophthalmology) examinations. A Dundonian by birth, he completed his undergraduate training at Edinburgh Medical School. His ophthalmic training was undertaken at the internationally respected Tennent Institute of Ophthalmology in Glasgow during which time he was the recipient of the Pfizer Ophthalmology Medal (2005). He has also broadened his knowledge with training in famous institutions such as the Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia, U.S.A.

Nearest Ophthalmologists