Mr Gaurav Batra PhD, FRCS (Orth), FSEM (Sports Med)

I have been a Hip & Knee Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon at Salford Royal Hospital since 2010. I perform Hip and Knee Replacement, Revision Hip and Knee Replacement, Arthroscopic (keyhole) Hip and Knee Surgery, including ACL reconstruction. I see people with any type of sports injury to arrange diagnostic tests and organise treatment and rehabilitation. I am one of few Orthopaedic Consultants in the region who has also completed their Sports Medicine Membership exams (MFSEM) with the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. This gives me an unique insight into sporting injuries, training methods sports psychology as well as nutrition. I am a keen runner and still run in the Vets Category for Sale Harriers with a marathon PB of just over 3 hours. I have played a number of different sports at a good level including badminton and squash for my University. I am happy to see patients who have sporting ambitions at any level and are struggling to get back to their sport. You will get honest advice about what can and cannot be done. I understand how important it is for you to be able to continue to do the sport that you love so much and I will do my best to help you achieve this. I qualified in 1995 from University of Wales College of Medicine with Commendation. I did my basic Surgical Training (MRCS) in Manchester in 1998. I spent three years at the Manchester Medical School conducting research into how cells behave when human bone heals after it has broken, for which I was awarded my PhD. I started higher surgical training in 2003 and passed my FRCS (Orth) exam in 2007. During my training, I did the Bolton Knee Fellowship, Leicester Hip Fellowship and visited the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota to complete a Visiting Clinician’s Fellowship. I completed my MFSEM with The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in 2018. Thank you for taking the time to look at my profile.

• Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery
  • Sports and exercise medicine

9th September 2019
Written by a patient at Oaklands Hospital

Gaurav Batra is a good surgeon, who takes pride in his work. He replaced my hip in June with great skill and efficiency. I was quickly able to walk normally again and am now pain-free. He was also responsive to my personal situation by arranging to bring forward my surgery so that I could recover in time to care for my husband, who found he also had to undergo major treatment.

10th September 2019
Response from Mr Gaurav Batra PhD, FRCS (Orth), FSEM (Sports Med)

Very glad to be able to help. I hope your husband's treatment has gone well. Kind regards.

7th September 2019
Written by a patient at Oaklands Hospital

Very pleasing experience, new hip has given me a new lease of life. Thank you very much for your help and assistance. Highly recommended. Many thanks. John C

31st August 2019
Written by a patient at Oaklands Hospital

I would like to thank Mr Batra for giving me back my quality of life after my hip operation. He listened to my concerns and advised me well. He is a very a talented and conscientious surgeon. After the operation within a few hours I was up walking with no pain. I have to have my second hip replaced and I have no fears being in the hands of Mr Batra The Physio team have been fantastic they instruct you well and explain that indeed it is major surgery you have and to listen to your body. The Oaklands Hospital was fantastic, the team supports you all the way and I cannot fault the care I received. THANK YOU MR BATRA AND THE OAKLANDS HOSPITAL

31st August 2019
Written by a patient at Oaklands Hospital

My care under Mr Batra has been exemplary. I am always well informed about any treatment and left to make my own decisions on how I wish to progress with treatment. I always feel confident that my views are listened to and taken seriously. I cannot fault the Oaklands hospital or the care I receive from Mr Batra. He is very approachable and understanding with any concerns I may have. I always recommend the Oaklands hospital and Mr Batra as an exceptional surgeon. I can't thank Mr Batra or the staff enough for all the care and help they have given to me. The physiotherapy I have received is top notch advice and care. The physiotherapist s are kind, patient and understanding. Giving realistic targets yet challenging progressive exercises. I am always made to feel welcome by staff and I feel they see me as being a V.I.P. My care to them is important in any department at the hospital.

28th August 2019
Written by a patient at Oaklands Hospital

Excellent service from Mr Batra throughout the entire process. I had a micro-fracture procedure over 6 years ago, but had been struggling again for over a year and the pain was daily. It had got to the point where it had become the norm. Mr Batra diagnosed that it was osteochondritis dissecans and discussed how he could help alleviate the pain and what options were available. This put me at ease, as the issue hadn't been formally diagnosed before. The bio-poly implant procedure was explained in a simple way that I could understand, including all of the potential downsides and risks. I was sure that I wanted to proceed, Mr Batra was very understanding of the pain I was going through and he was diligent in getting budget sign off and approval. I had no worries or concerns about the surgery, I knew that Mr Batra was more than capable. It's been 9 weeks since the operation and the recovery is going very well. There's been great aftercare by Mr Batra and the Physio at Oaklands Hospital.

Nearest Sports and exercise medicine specialists

Short link to review Mr Gaurav Batra PhD, FRCS (Orth), FSEM (Sports Med): http://iwgc.net/eew2g