Mr Zaf Naqui

Mr Naqui is a Consultant Hand, Wrist and Upper Limb Surgeon. His routine practice includes all elective Hand, Wrist and Upper Limb surgery. He also specialises in complex Hand and Wrist trauma and sports injuries. His NHS practice is at Salford Royal Foundation Trust (Hope Hospital), one of the leading teaching hospitals of the University of Manchester. His roles include Specialty Tutor and Lead for Clinical Governance and Patient Safety in Trauma and Orthopaedics. He is an examiner for the European Board Hand Diploma and a committee member for the ‘BSSH Instructional courses in Hand Surgery‘. He is the founder and convenor for the Masterclasses in Hand Surgery for the BSSH. He is also an Honorary Senior Lecturer at the University of Manchester. Mr Naqui is Chair of the North West Surgical Hand Society and SAS Hand Manchester. Mr Naqui was awarded dual postgraduate certification in Hand Surgery from both the British and the European Boards of Hand Surgery in 2013 becoming the first Consultant Surgeon to hold these awards. He is a faculty member on a number of surgical courses, including the preparation of senior surgical trainees for European and British Hand Diploma as well as the specialist FRCS Orthopaedic exam. He has a keen interest in undergraduate and post-graduate teaching as well as surgical training, lecturing in the UK and abroad. He has completed a Masters degree in Orthopaedic Engineering, published his research in numerous journals and presented it within the UK and internationally. One of his research projects evaluated the latest techniques of wrist injury surgery. Mr Naqui is from Manchester and attended The Manchester Grammar School before studying medicine at University College London. He underwent higher specialist training in Orthopaedics in the North West. After this, he undertook a 12 month Hand and Upper Limb Fellowship at Wrightington Hospital followed by a Fellowship in Plastic Hand Surgery. Mr Naqui has also won fellowships at Harvard University and was awarded the prestigious British STACK Fellowship in 2013 and the American Board International ASSH Fellowship in 2014. Mr Naqui is a member of The British Society for Surgery of the Hand, European Wrist Arthroscopy Society and The International Society for Sport Traumatology of the Hand. His hobbies centre on his two young daughters, squash and trekking. In 2009 Mr Naqui trekked to the summit of Mount Kilimajaro and is now attempting to encourage his girls to share his passion for trekking. Speciality Areas: Hand and Wrist Arthroscopy Medicolegal Hand and Wrist Sports Injuries in the Hand and Wrist Wrist Arthroscopy Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Dupuytrens Disease (incl. Injection Therapy) Trigger Finger Ganglion De Quervains Disease and Tendonitis Arthritis of Thumb Arthritis of Hand and Wrist Small Joint replacement Mucous Cyst and Tumours Fractures of Hand and Wrist Scaphoid Fractures Wrist Replacement Elbow Cubital Tunnel / Ulnar Nerve Entrapment Tennis / Golfers Elbow Olecranon Bursitis Elbow Stiffness

5th December 2017
Written by a patient at Salford Royal Hospital

I was referred to Mr Naqui from Bradford Royal Infirmary for a severe pain I had in my wrist (turned out to be a cyst on my scaphoid bone). Although sometimes the waiting times for appointments were delayed once at the hospital, I felt I was given enough time at each appointment to discuss what and where the pain was. After a year under Mr Naqui's care (pain for 5yrs before that), and an operation that did fix it (as far as I am concerned at this time) I have now been discharged.

30th November 2017
Written by a patient at Trafford General Hospital

I coasted through my treatment which was a Dupuytren's operation with good communication throughout, and no cancellations. My operation was a complete success, and I have now been discharged. The surgeon and staff did an excellent job, and I have complete faith in Trafford General Hospital.

18th November 2017
Written by a patient at Spire Manchester Hospital

He was very pleasent and made me feel very comfortable. He explained things really well and always kept me in the loop. Keep up the great work!

14th November 2017
Written by a patient at BMI The Alexandra Hospital

I had an operation for Dupuytren's to my little finger. This was the second time I have had this done and the result is fantastic. The finger is almost straight, which is a marvel, with very little scarring. Mr Naqui is a very good listener and explains things very clearly. He has an extremely pleasant manner and very professional. He makes you feel totally at ease and you put your trust in him completely. I would recommend him most highly.

13th November 2017
Written by a carer at Salford Royal Hospital

We were referred to Mr Naqui following my son injuring his arm with a knife. He had been originally treated at our local hospital but was subsequently complaining of issues with his hand and arm. Mr Naqui listened intently to our concerns and then asked a number of questions to ensure he fully understood. He then queried whether my son had been prescribed antibiotics following his visit to hospital, to which we replied he had not. He promptly suggested that these be obtained to minimise infection in light of the knife being deemed to be dirty. He examined the wound and suggested that his symptoms were trauma related and would subside but if my son was still experiencing issues in a few days, an ultrasound would be required to rule out damage to a tendon. Mr Naqui was knowledgeable and professional in his approach and made us feel at ease throughout the whole process. He did not use convoluted medical terminology unless referring to something specific but then immediately followed this up with a simple explanation. I have no hesitation in recommending him to anybody with hand and wrist issues as he really does know his stuff! A commendable surgeon.

Short link to review Mr Zaf Naqui: http://iwgc.net/efbhp