Mr Zaf Naqui

Mr Naqui is a Consultant Hand, Wrist and Upper Limb Surgeon. His routine practice includes all elective Hand, Wrist and Upper Limb surgery. He also specialises in complex Hand and Wrist trauma and sports injuries. His NHS practice is at Salford Royal Foundation Trust (Hope Hospital), one of the leading teaching hospitals of the University of Manchester. His roles include Specialty Tutor and Lead for Clinical Governance and Patient Safety in Trauma and Orthopaedics. He is an examiner for the European Board Hand Diploma and a committee member for the ‘BSSH Instructional courses in Hand Surgery‘. He is the founder and convenor for the Masterclasses in Hand Surgery for the BSSH. He is also an Honorary Senior Lecturer at the University of Manchester. Mr Naqui is Chair of the North West Surgical Hand Society and SAS Hand Manchester. Mr Naqui was awarded dual postgraduate certification in Hand Surgery from both the British and the European Boards of Hand Surgery in 2013 becoming the first Consultant Surgeon to hold these awards. He is a faculty member on a number of surgical courses, including the preparation of senior surgical trainees for European and British Hand Diploma as well as the specialist FRCS Orthopaedic exam. He has a keen interest in undergraduate and post-graduate teaching as well as surgical training, lecturing in the UK and abroad. He has completed a Masters degree in Orthopaedic Engineering, published his research in numerous journals and presented it within the UK and internationally. One of his research projects evaluated the latest techniques of wrist injury surgery. Mr Naqui is from Manchester and attended The Manchester Grammar School before studying medicine at University College London. He underwent higher specialist training in Orthopaedics in the North West. After this, he undertook a 12 month Hand and Upper Limb Fellowship at Wrightington Hospital followed by a Fellowship in Plastic Hand Surgery. Mr Naqui has also won fellowships at Harvard University and was awarded the prestigious British STACK Fellowship in 2013 and the American Board International ASSH Fellowship in 2014. Mr Naqui is a member of The British Society for Surgery of the Hand, European Wrist Arthroscopy Society and The International Society for Sport Traumatology of the Hand. His hobbies centre on his two young daughters, squash and trekking. In 2009 Mr Naqui trekked to the summit of Mount Kilimajaro and is now attempting to encourage his girls to share his passion for trekking. Speciality Areas: Hand and Wrist Arthroscopy Medicolegal Hand and Wrist Sports Injuries in the Hand and Wrist Wrist Arthroscopy Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Dupuytrens Disease (incl. Injection Therapy) Trigger Finger Ganglion De Quervains Disease and Tendonitis Arthritis of Thumb Arthritis of Hand and Wrist Small Joint replacement Mucous Cyst and Tumours Fractures of Hand and Wrist Scaphoid Fractures Wrist Replacement Elbow Cubital Tunnel / Ulnar Nerve Entrapment Tennis / Golfers Elbow Olecranon Bursitis Elbow Stiffness

11th April 2019
Written by a patient at Trafford General Hospital

Mr Naqui and his team are fantastic. Very professional and caring a true gentleman! At the consultation Mr Naqui explained what this problem was and what needed to be done. The surgery was explained in full and an appointment was arranged within a few months. I had struggled for months with a rather large pearl ganglion on my middle finger and was finding it increasingly difficult to carry out everyday tasks like writing or opening jars. The surgery to remove the pearl ganglion from my finger was very quick and painless under local anesthesia. I even got to see the ganglion once removed ( I had asked prior to the surgery) Recovery was relatively painless. It didn't take long for me to be able to use my hand properly again. The follow up appointment was informative too. Thank you again Mr Naqui !

1st April 2019
Written by a patient at BMI The Alexandra Hospital

A lovely doctor, I felt well cared for and at ease. Thank you.

9th March 2019
Written by a patient at Spire Manchester Hospital

I feel that I was very fortunate to have had Mr. Naqui operate on my hand. Though some time back, Mr. Naqui gave me a very detailed account of what the problems were, and the possible outcomes so that there would be no ambiguity about the involved procedure. On the morning of the operation I was introduced to the team that would be involved in the operation. This took place at Trafford General. The operation barely took half an hour and I had no immediate or subsequent discomfort or pain, apart from an itchy palm weeks later, which has now gone. The aftercare was excellent - provided by the NHS. Apart from removing stitches, and dressing the wound I received further information and therapy at Trafford General. I have had a later consultation with Mr. Naqui, and again he pointed out the potential problems that could arise in the future as this is a disease. We are both pleased with the outcome. I am extremely grateful, as I was losing the grip in my right hand as the little and ring fingers were both curled up into the palm. Now both fingers work as they should. A brilliant outcome and many thanks to a brilliant surgeon and his team. Thank you.

15th February 2019
Written by a patient at Trafford Health Centre Wic

I first saw Dr Naqui on 4th June 2018 following a referral by my GP for Dupuytren's contracture in my right little finger. I was very impressed by the way in which Dr Naqui explained the various issues to me - he has great way of talking to his patients and really communicates well. I subsequently underwent surgery in early September 2018 just three months after the consultation. The surgery was successful - my finger is now almost perfectly straight and I am delighted with the result. I could not have hoped for more and am very grateful to Dr Naqui and his team for their great work. Everything from start to finish was professional, efficient and effective yet at the same time relaxed and friendly. Thank you.

15th February 2019
Written by a patient at Spire Manchester Hospital

Mr Naqui, has operated on my hands on several occasions to correct dupuytrens contracture. On each occasion his explanations and calm manner have allowed me to make a fully informed decision. On the day of the actual operation he seems to find the time to spare that extra moment despite a busy list. The results have been on each occasion excellent and after 10 operations in total I know what I am talking about. If you need to see a hand specialist he is the one.

Short link to review Mr Zaf Naqui: http://iwgc.net/efbhp