Mr Stephen Tai

I am a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon at East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust, who specialises in adult hip and knee arthroplasty and the management of traumatic injuries. I consult privately at Pinehill Hospital in Hitchin. Having studied medicine at St Mary's Hospital medical school, I underwent specialist training on the highly regarded Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Stanmore, Specialist Registrar rotation. I then continued my sub specialty training in adult hip and knee replacement surgery on the prestigious year-long fellowship with the Specialist Orthopaedic Group in Sydney, Australia. During this fellowship, I was trained in the latest arthroplasty techniques, including the direct anterior approach to the hip, computer navigated hip replacements and patient specific implants. I have completed a second fellowship in complex trauma at University Hospital, Walsgrave - one of the busiest major trauma centres in the United Kingdom. Traumatic injuries remain a specialist interest of mine, and I am the trauma lead in my NHS hospital. I have published a number of articles related to my areas of sub-specialty interest and I have written book chapters on traumatic injuries.

• Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery

28th September 2017
Written by a patient at Pinehill Hospital

Mr. Tai was extremely helpful in his dealings with my questions and I felt completely satisfied with the operation. I recovered extremely quickly and the scar that was left was very small and unobtrusive. He listened to what I said and was very reassuring and I felt very safe in his hands. He has a very friendly manner towards patients and put me very much at ease which to my mind is very valuable. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him to anyone needing surgery.

28th September 2017
Response from Mr Stephen Tai

Thank you for your feedback. I'm delighted that you are happy with the results of your operation, and in particular your surgical scar.

14th August 2017
Written by a patient at Lister Hospital

Greeting me properly before the consultation. Checking on the move ability of my knee and asking questions to make sure I was happy and showing the X-ray pictures on screen of the replacement knee, what was done and explained the materials used. Mr Tai mentioned a follow up appointment with the special nurse in nine months time to make sure everything was still alright and with no problems. The whole experience I found very good. Meeting Mr Tai before the operation and his assistant explaining what was going to happen down to the nurses afterwards giving good care. I never had any pain the whole time due to the medication given. Mr Tai also visited just before I left the hospital asking if everything was OK.

17th August 2017
Response from Mr Stephen Tai

Thank you for your feedback. I'm delighted you are pleased with the service that you received.

3rd August 2017
Written by a patient at Pinehill Hospital

Mr Tai was very careful on my behalf. Whilst I was in hospital he visited more than once, and over the weekend, after my hip replacement, and was very reassuring with his observations and comments. I am now pain free and regaining my mobility, and my life is altogether better. Thank you!

17th August 2017
Response from Mr Stephen Tai

I'm glad you feel that your quality of life is better after your hip replacement. Thank you for your comments.

3rd July 2017
Written by a patient at Lister Hospital

I had my hip replaced at the end of March and the whole care experience was second to none. The advice, encouragement and motivation from Mr Tai and his team has enabled me to make a rapid, safe and full recovery and a return to undertaking simple tasks without any pain. Thank you so much for improving the quality of life for me my and my family.

17th August 2017
Response from Mr Stephen Tai

Many thanks for your feedback. I'm so pleased that you are happy with the service you received and with your new hip.

14th June 2017
Written by a patient at Pinehill Hospital

With reference to Mr Tai's letter of the 6th June may I say that my pain does not wear off as the day progresses. It becomes less so perhaps, with the help of the two paracetamol taken early in the morning, but there is persistent pain throughout the day both in the hip area and achilles tendon which very much restricts my walking. I accept that Mr Tai confirms my GP's view that the hip joint is operating satisfactorily and hope that the ultrasound scan can be done without any delay. I have, so far, not had any advice/appointment.

22nd June 2017
Response from Mr Stephen Tai

I'm disappointed to hear that my letter had a slight inaccuracy in it, but I am grateful for your feedback. If you have been seen at Pinehill Hospital, as your review states, it would be highly unusual not to have received an appointment date for your ultrasound by now (I presume that is what you are referring to by stating you have "not had any advice/appointment". Therefore, would you be kind enough to contact my secretary at Pinehill, and I can follow this up on your behalf.

Short link to review Mr Stephen Tai: http://iwgc.net/egb9l