Mr James Bourne

I am a consultant trauma & orthopaedic and spinal surgeon. I practice in Lancashire, where I live with my family. I qualified as a doctor in 2001 from Birmingham University Medical School, and after completing basic surgical training, I worked in Dunedin, New Zealand for over 2 years as a trauma & orthopaedic registrar. I returned to the UK, and trained on the North West higher surgical training scheme. I spent a year at Salford Royal Hospital spinal unit as the senior trainee, and then a further year as the senior trainee in spinal surgery at Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. I commenced as a consultant in 2017.

• Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery

14th April 2018
Written by a patient at Royal Preston Hospital

Showed caring compassion. He made me have a life when I nearly lost my life. Fixed my broken neck now I can get on with my life. Rang my wife on the day of surgery and explained everything and reassured my family.

14th April 2018
Response from Mr James Bourne

Thanks for taking the time to post a review. Your comments are very kind. Working in a major trauma centre, is very rewarding. There is a big team effort, starting with the North West Ambulance service, followed by the Emergency Department and Major trauma team, Intensive care team, theatre teams, ward staff, laboratory teams and admin teams. Every single person's role in that is important, I am glad all the cogs of the machine worked, and you are now on the mend.

11th April 2018
Written by a carer at Royal Preston Hospital

Mr Bourne did his utmost to make sure my sons surgery went ahead after a wait of 106 weeks whilst under the care of a different surgeon. The surgery was a huge success and has changed my sons life, he is now pain free and looking forward to the future. I would recommend Mr Bourne and his team without reservation as he is very professional, polite and a thoroughly nice man.

12th April 2018
Response from Mr James Bourne

Thank you for taking the time to post. It was a pleasure to treat him.

26th March 2018
Written by a patient at Royal Preston Hospital

Put me really at ease for a fairly serious neck operation. Carried it out successfully. Was very attentive in hospital and at follow-up consultations.

28th March 2018
Response from Mr James Bourne

Thanks for your feedback. There are a lot of risks with spinal surgery, and I'm glad I was able to put the risks in perspective with the benefits, and that you have had a good result.

21st March 2018

Following a car accident. Diagnosed with a C2 Fracture. Mr Bourne throughout showed a professional and patience attitude to my needs. Mr Bourne explained the seriousness of the operation, Very warm thoughtful, and first class Surgeon. I would have no hesitation in recommending Mr Bourne to anyone, a gentleman with a great attitude. Thank You.

22nd March 2018
Response from Mr James Bourne

Thank you. Your surgery was a team effort. I am happy to have played a role, and glad you are well recovered. Thanks for allowing me to use your images for teaching purposes. I shall pass your thanks on to the team.

19th March 2018

Great care from Dr Bourne explained everything and took great care of me a very nice doctor. Would recommend to any one.

20th March 2018
Response from Mr James Bourne

Thanks for your kind words. It is a team effort.

Short link to review Mr James Bourne: http://iwgc.net/ef9r4