Mr Gareth Stables

Specialist Knee Surgeon, with an interest in sports injuries and arthritis. Large practice performing knee arthroscopy (Keyhole knee surgery) for early arthritis, cartilage and ligament tears (ACL reconstruction) and knee replacement surgery. General trauma surgery and care for patients with fractures (broken bones).

5th October 2017
Written by a patient at Warrington Hospital

Having suffered with and persisted to try and stubbornly ignore the constant knee pain for almost twelve months I finally admitted to myself i needed to seek a specialists view and via my healthcare provider Mr Stables was recommended. From the first consultation even though having listened to the potential risks I have felt safe in his care and fully informed about my conditions and possible solutions I was also able to arrive at my own conclusions as to the best treatment for myself. I have undergone two separate procedures on the same knee since my first consultation the second being almost a year to the day which demonstrates my trust level, I have to commend Mr Stables and the staff that have looked after myself on both occasions including all communications. Although surgery is a daunting thought I felt completely relaxed on both occasions and the levels of care whilst within the hospital were excellent. My second procedure was a high tibial osteotomy which sounds nicer than it actually is or looks when you are first shown an image of it but in all honesty it was much better post procedure than I had anticipated. I am currently moving into my 4 month of post operation recovery and I would put it simply into three recovery. My first month was mainly about managing the pain via the prescribed medication and the management of the swelling and bruising with ice and elevation whilst trying to maintain and improve movement of the knee, I would suggest being prepared for the long days i.e. somewhere pre arranged to sit with food and drinks readily at hand , I had a large bean bag on the sofa which was just the correct height for me, I could walk with the aid of crutches within a hours of the operation but you are unable to carry much so that's is something to think about, I hated the thought of losing my independence so silly things like being able to make and carry your own drinks was important. Be prepared for monotony, books movies crosswords etc. The second phase moved more into frequent physio visits and home exercises to increased load and movement of the knee, this is to be honest difficult to motivate yourself to do on a daily basis, it is a balance between pain and a need to do it frequently i focused on doing as much as I could put up with, but within a couple of weeks I had full knee movement and I could walk with some discomfort but walk all the same which is a huge milestone to put the crutches aside. My third was was don't be scared of the staircase this was my mental block , walking upstairs unaided without crutches or a handrail as a safety net basically worried that my knee would give way or the pain would become unbearable so the target was to simply walk up and down stairs like I used to every single day normally, this sounds like a small step ( no pun intended ) but it was the most difficult thing for me, persistence of ten times a day making myself walk up and down two flights of stairs started to pay dividends, going up became easier but strangely walking back down is more difficult to overcome, I am pleased to say however I am now able to walk in both directions without too much trouble, The physio treatments and exercises provided on frequent visits have supported my recovery greatly and they are matched to your ability at each visit, not too much but just enough to push you ahead. I am now purely focusing on strength building as after having a couple of bad knee pain years and hobbling rather than walking the muscle waist on my quads is the only thing holding me back now but this improves daily as my strength increases the remaining joint pain reduces. I understand that I'm not 16 anymore and 50 is looming but I am in a much better position than before I visited Mr Stables. In total my initial road to recovery from pain to everyday activities will of lasted around 18 weeks which is a far better place to be than constant pain , so thank you.

11th October 2017
Response from Mr Gareth Stables

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I'm glad to hear that we have been able to provide you with a good experience. The comments about your recovery are really useful not only for other patients contemplating this surgery but also for me in allowing me to get a deeper understanding of a patients perspective of the road to recovery. I will be able to share these insights and tips with my patients in the future!

3rd December 2016
Written by a patient at Spire Cheshire Hospital

Would have been good to have the notes readily available although I appreciate that gareth's secretary wasn't available. It would have been useful to see the MRI scan.

15th January 2017
Response from Mr Gareth Stables

Thank you for the feedback. I'm glad to see that we were able to give you a good experience. It is sometimes a frustration that scans and notes are not readily available, but sometimes getting a quick appointment can beat the paperwork! MRI scans and scan reports are always available and if you contact my seretary we will be able to send you a copy. Thank you for the comments. - Mr Gareth Stables

28th October 2016
Written by a patient at Spire Cheshire Hospital

I had a knee operation by Mr Stables back in June and am still currently seeing him regarding a problem with the other knee. He is very patient, understanding and easy to deal with - helping to ease any fears or concerns I had. I would hightly recomment him and also the Spire Hospital as the care they provided was fabulous.

21st November 2016
Response from Mr Gareth Stables

Thank you for your feedback I'm glad to hear that you had a positive experience and we were able to make you feel at ease when you came in for your treatment. - Mr Gareth Stables

1st September 2016
Written by a patient at Spire Cheshire Hospital

Was provided with a balanced prognosis of my condition with clear options on potential treatments. Was not pressured to make an automatic decision for surgery.

21st November 2016
Response from Mr Gareth Stables

Thank you for your feedback. I'm pleased to hear that we were able to give you the right information and time to allow you to decide what was best for you. - Mr Gareth Stables

2nd June 2016

I found the knee replacement was naturally painful after the operation, but with a positive attitude that it would make a difference to your life can give you determination to get back on your feet. It certainly has with me. If you listen to the surgeon and follow his instructions you will come out on top.The after care was amazing. The nurses on the wards along with many other members of staff were always there to help me. The follow up knee clinic with the physiotherapist was at first painful, but again determination and patience on your part brings you through this. I have just recently taken a bus ride on my own which is something I have not been able to do for years. That made me feel really good. The thought of the scar you have afterwards sounded horrific, but this was explained to me before the operation. After it heals it is a thin white line on which you can buy some make-up to cover it up if it bothers you. I can't kneel down any more, but then again having pain for years I couldn't do that anyway. It hasn't hindered all the things I can now do. After a time I found myself walking down the stairs, although slowly , one foot after the other. Once the wound improved and was sealed I used Bio Oil on it. In doing this I found it helped to smooth the look of the scar. It is important to attend the knee clinic to get the everyday movement started and then once completed you may be offered a chance to go to a Recipe for health class.( This is a class where you will find the majority of people have had operations similar to your own. This can improve both flex-ability in your knees and boost your confidence.You may feel tired after this class, but don"t be put off. Keep going, as you will find it gets easier and less painful. The exercises are adapted to be done whilst sat on a chair. I went to this class after about five months of coming out of hospital and now I feel great. So I have been going ever since. I will always be grateful to Mr Stables for doing this for me and to the staff for looking after me. I was treated so well I simply can"t fault it. I would recommend the knee replacement to anyone who needs it.

10th April 2017
Response from Mr Gareth Stables

Thank you for taking the time to give such a comprehensive summary of the post operative recovery period. There are some excellent tips here for patients considering knee replacement surgery! It is good for a surgeon to get a patient's perspective and I will be able to share your insights with my patients. Thank you for the positive feedback which I will pass onto the team. - Mr Gareth Stables

Short link to review Mr Gareth Stables : http://iwgc.net/efgwg