Mr Andrew Carrothers

Andrew is a specialist hip and knee surgeon with interests in pelvic & acetabular surgery, hip and knee replacements, foot and ankle and lower limb trauma reconstructive surgery. He is currently a full time Consultant in Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgery at Addenbrookes, Cambridge University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust. He also consults and operates at the Spire Lea Cambridge and Nuffield Health Cambridge Hospitals. In addition he is a Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgeon in the Royal Army Medical Corps (V), having served in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

• Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery

13th January 2018
Written by a patient at Nuffield Hospital Cambridge

Mr Carrothers recently carried out a full knee replacement operation on me and I am delighted with the result. I found Andrew professional, totally understanding of my condition, supportive and very calm in his manner. I would have no hesitation in recommending him totally for his orthopaedic work

12th January 2018
Written by a patient at Spire Cambridge Lea Hospital

A remarkable man.Clearly a skilled and dedicated surgeon/medical professional but most notably he immediately established an excellent interpersonal relationship with me as an apprehensive patient.My 2 hips were probably routine to Mr Carrothers but I was made to feel special ! He explained things simply, answered all my questions and reported appropriately to my GP with copy letters direct to myself.The natural consequence of all this was I relaxed, and in his words, was a model patient.Also, let's not forget the scores of medical and non-medical support staff who make the whole procedure happen.None of these people go to work to do a bad job but they clearly enjoy working with Mr Carrothers. Check out his military service,teaching and innovation work.See BBC tv Look East 04.01.2018 alternative hip procedure.Hopefully Mr Carrothers will remain in medicine and not migrate to politics or something equally useless.

10th January 2018
Written by a carer at Spire Cambridge Lea Hospital

Mr carrothers has been looking after my husband since 2015 my husband was involved in a serious car accident in 2014. My husband suffered serious injuries, one of the injuries was open femur fracture of the right leg with lots of on going hospital stays and appointments. Also my husband had abroken knee cap. After seeing numerous Doctors and surgeons at addenbrooks hospital. My husband was seen by this very pleasant and brilliant surgeon at the spire lea hospital in Cambridge. Whom Mr carrothers performand leg operations on my husband's leg removal of pins , and a rod ready to perform a knee replacement which the operation was a success. And also knee replacement on left leg. What a brilliant and charming surgeon Mr carrothers is my husband and I have the up most greatest respect for this man He's looked after my husband so well.

9th January 2018
Written by a patient at Spire Cambridge Lea Hospital

I feel extremely fortunate to have been treated by Andrew Carrothers. I was terrified of having hip replacement surgery, largely because it is a major operation and hospital is not an environment I am familiar with. Mr Carrothers put me at my ease, with his confidence and explanations. I felt reassured that he would take care of me to the best of his ability (which is not inconsiderable!). He brings skill, empathy and appropriate humour to a scary scenario (for me) and I am extremely grateful to him. The outcome of the operation is a resounding success and if I needed further treatment, I would hope that he would be able to conduct the operation.

8th January 2018
Written by a patient at Addenbrooke's Hospital

I first saw Mr Carrothers at his private clinic on an NHS referral. I had a complex history of non-union fractures; my referring rheumatologist diagnosed osteoporosis and recommended pelvic fixation. Mr Carrothers convinced me that conservative management was best, giving the fractures longer to heal, triaging my bone health more thoroughly, and to proceed with surgery only when he was confident of a favourable outcome. He transferred my care to Addenbrookes for further investigation, and to have his main team support my surgery. I have seen Mr Carrothers for over 2 years, my fracture history is better understood and I am receiving treatment to control the underlying problems, I can then be re-listed for surgery. Mr Carrothers is a true professional: He listened to me, he was not dismissive of my own clinical observations which were not consistent with the initial diagnosis; he addressed all my concerns and if he could not, consulted with specialists who could. He devised a clinical plan which I felt confident would mitigate the risks through better understanding of my fractures. He is clearly highly regarded by the integrated team that I have been seeing, confirming my belief that I am in skilled hands, he is one of the most caring , supportive and courteous surgeons I have ever met. My only suggestions for better care are organisational. Surgeons are reliant on supporting services being available in a timely manner; I waited so long to see an equally competent bone specialist that my underlying problem, which was diagnosed within 2 visits had deteriorated to the extent that I was no longer fit for surgery when it was offered. I was also referred for ultra sound guided injections and assessed for hydrotherapy, both these services were unavailable. My own view is that integrated medicine for more complex cases is getting harder to implement. Only improvements in these areas will help people like Mr Carrothers treat patients more effectively and the only way in which I could have received better care, which was out of his control. These are my views and Mr Carrothers has remained very loyal to his organisation throughout. Mr Carrothers is clearly a knowledgeable and experienced surgeon and his conservative and meticulous approach prior to surgery has almost certainly improved the chances of a good surgical outcome and more effective aftercare. I am so very grateful for his clinical guidance and as a clinical immunologist I am no easy patient to manage. I can suggest no personal improvements save for more theatre time or cloning himself!

Short link to review Mr Andrew Carrothers: http://iwgc.net/egbsv