mr-andrew-carrothers

Mr Andrew Carrothers

18th September 2020

My replacement hip operation was delayed as a result of the Covid epidemic but I was kept informed of the situation and I was recalled as soon as possible. Mr Carrothers and his team made me feel very safe throughout the whole procedure and I felt I was well cared for throughout my 2+night stay. Everything was explained thoroughly to me in language I could understand and as a result I opted for the robotic procedure. 6 weeks later I can walk unaided and have had some discomfort but little pain Aftercare has also been good with physio and information to aid my recovery

14th September 2020

He saved my life when I was hit by a car on a zebra crossing, 11 months on life is nearly normal. Three major operations in one go.

3rd September 2020

In early 2020 I had a total hip replacement operation at the Nuffield Hospital Cambridge. To say the least I was very nervous. Mr Carrothers reassured me, explained everything to me in a calm and positive way. The operation went very well and my recovery back to Normal was rapid. If or when my other hip needs replacing I would go back to Mr Carrothers in a heart beat. Thank you and your team x

Written by a patient at Addenbrooke's Hospital
2nd September 2020

I fell 5m from a ladder in late March 2018 and was taken to Broomfield Hospital, Chelmsford. Following X-rays, they realised my shattered hip could not be repaired by them and thankfully I was transferred to Mr Carrothers at Addenbrooke’s Cambridge University Hospital. Mr Carrothers and his team repaired my shattered hip with metal plates and screws. Then, under a second operation a week later, I had a new artificial hip joint. The expertise and care I received from Mr Carrothers and his team was incredible and I am eternally grateful that I was in such good hands. After 12 months I was able to do all the things that I could do before my accident i.e. hiking, cycling, swimming, etc. I am most sincere when I say that if it wasn’t for Mr Carrothers and his team I would not be able to carry on my normal fully active life. As a PS, I add that following discharge from hospital one needs to take advantage of the NHS physiotherapy, and continue to build up muscle strength, flexibility and strength by going to a gym. I cannot recommend Mr Carrothers highly enough. David Holliwell (aged 75)

Written by a patient at Spire Cambridge Lea Hospital
28th August 2020

I met Andrew Carrothers after a friend recommended him to me. This was during the Covid 19 Pandemic when it was impossible to get NHS treatment or referrals. I called his secretary on a Monday afternoon and she gave me an appointment with him for 8:30am the next morning. By that time he had my X-rays and could see the problem with my hip. He explained that during these difficult times it was not easy to get the facilities for a robotic operation and it could take four months or more, but he could operate by the normal method, which he assured me he had been doing for over ten years and was very good at. He said I might get a hip replacement this way within weeks weeks rather than months. The way he explained the whole thing gave me great confidence, and I was happy to move forward with his suggestions. Three days later I had a call from his secretary asking if I would like to go on his list for a date two weeks later. I agreed to this and in no time at all I was being wheeled into the theatre. I am very pleased with the results of the procedure. The next day I was up and walking with sticks, and within two weeks I could walk without sticks at all. I had virtually no pain after the operation, just some localised swelling which soon settled down. I came home on day three. I had dissolvable stitches and butterfly strips with a waterproof dressing over the whole thing, so was able to shower from day two. The operation site is now, after 6 weeks very good, and almost unnoticeable. The initial confidence which Andrew Carrothers imparted has been proved correct and I am very pleased with the procedure, and would highly recommend his services and expertise. I will certainly use him again when my other hip needs replacing.

Mr Andrew Carrothers was awarded the iWantGreatCare certificate of excellence in 2020 for delivering outstanding care.

Andrew is a specialist hip and knee surgeon with interests in pelvic & acetabular surgery, hip and knee replacements, ankle and lower limb trauma reconstructive surgery. He is currently a full time Consultant in Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgery at Addenbrookes, Cambridge University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust. He also consults and operates at the Spire Lea Cambridge and Nuffield Health Cambridge Hospitals. In addition he is a Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgeon in the Royal Army Medical Corps (V), having served in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

Short link to review Mr Andrew Carrothers: http://iwgc.net/egbsv