kettering-general-hospital

Kettering General Hospital

Rothwell Road, Kettering, Northamptonshire, England, NN16 8UZ

Written by a NHS patient
19th February 2021

I am the mother of a patient who attended the Accident & Emergency Department at Kettering General Hospital on Saturday 5th December 2020 at approximately 4.00pm. He had at the time severe Mental Health issues which led to him requiring an emergency appointment with the Crisis Team at Northamptonshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust on Monday 7th December 2020. During this time I was supporting him as his carer. At the hospital, after explaining his distressed condition and that I was supporting him as a carer, I asked if I could accompany him in his medical consultation at the Accident & Emergency Department. At this point, I was told in no uncertain terms, by the Health Professional checking patients in at the reception desk, that this would be impossible. She said, in an uncompassionate tone, that they were not valid reasons. This left me with a feeling of sadness, for my son, myself and the patient service being delivered by Kettering General Hospital. I left the hospital extremely worried about the Mental state of my son. After picking him up from the hospital two hours later, I asked him how did the assessment go. He informed me that, on entering the consulting room, the Medical Health Professional was watching a football match on his mobile phone. I was horrified. I honestly thought my son was joking. This behaviour is totally unprofessional and .unacceptable. I am a patient representative/Involvee with NHFT and this was an extremely bad patient experience. I appreciate that we are in a pandemic, but i feel that lessons can be learned from this and I do not want this to happen to any other patients, especially when they are vulnerable. I have already fed this experience back via the feedback form on Kettering General Hospital NHS Foundation Trust website approximately two weeks ago.. I have yet to receive a reply.

13th January 2021

I was admitted as an emergency by first having a visit from a superb gentleman from the paramedic called Warren on. 21/12/2020. He was so good at explaining everything in terms we could understand so caring . He even rang my wife the next day to find out how she was and also how I was. I was first admitted to A and E and then was found a bed on Clifford Ward where my care was superb. After a little while I was given a bed on Harrowden A because of the intense care that I needed because of the terrible COVID virus . Nurse Mary was a great influence on Harrowden A ward and was kind enough to ring my wife to explain what procedures I was having to put her mind at rest with all the worry. My care was endless by all the wonderful doctors and nurses. With their dedication after a three week stay where I was really poorly was allowed to come home. I cannot thank each and everyone of them enough to the ladies who delivered the food and to the domestics keeping every where clean.

2021-02-16 07:55:19
Response from Kettering General Hospital

Mr Jones, Thankyou so much for taking the time to feedback and am glad to hear you are home and recovering. I will ensure your comments are communicated back to the staff. Kind Regards, Louise Hyde Matron, Urgent Care Wards

26th August 2020

Can’t be improved

12th March 2020

I had been through 3 early miscarriages in succession. For the first I was sent to Kettering A&E and the gynae was very dismissive, saying she would get me in the next morning for an urgent scan in case of an ovarian cyst - the scan was arranged 4 weeks later! The third miscarriage my GP sent me to A&E where I waited sitting next to a pregnant woman - the nurse was very helpful when I was in tears and let me wait in a room around the side so as not to feel traumatised whilst I was miscarrying. The nurses were great. Unfortunately after a long wait I saw a gynae (different one to the last time) who told me these were not ''proper miscarriages'' as they were early ones and had me in tears even worse than when she came in by being so dismissive.No bedside manners for someone mourning 3 babies. she said the NHS wouldn't do anything for me. this turned out to be untrue as a referral was made by my GP to Northamptonshire hospital gynae dept who did various bloods and found the cause of the miscarriages.

{{category}} working at Kettering General Hospital ({{entities.length}})

Short link to review Kettering General Hospital: http://iwgc.net/eb4el