Mr Patrick Lusty

Treatment information Some of the principal treatments carried out by Mr Patrick Lusty include: Hip replacement surgery Joint manipulation treatment Joint pain treatment (joint injections) Knee arthroscopy surgery Knee ligament surgery Knee replacement,Sports injury and sports medicine Professional profile I have been a consultant orthopaedic surgeon since 2007. I completed international fellowships specialising in joint replacement and sports medicine surgery. I am an expert in hip and knee surgery. I specialise in hip and knee surgery. I perform minimally invasive joint replacement surgery, revision (redo) joint replacement surgery of the hip and knee. I also practice soft tissue knee surgery such as arthroscopy (keyhole surgery), and arthroscopic anterior cruciate reconstruction surgery, and meniscal (cartilage) repair and resection. I have been running a busy consultant practice for over ten years. I have performed more than 1,500 primary joint replacements (hips and knees) and more than 200 revision joint replacements (redo hips and knees) on the national joint registry. I perform 250 knee arthroscopic procedures including anterior cruciate reconstructions a year. To ensure optimum patient outcomes I recruit my patients to the Amplitude clinical outcome system for long term follow up (http://amplitude-clinical.com/) I am orthopaedic clinical lead for the multidisciplinary team treating fracture neck of femurs in Southend University Hospital. I welcome appropriate patients wishing to refer and pay for treatment themselves without the need for a GP's letter of referral. I am available for appointments at the Spire Wellesley Hospital on Monday, Thursday morning, evening and Saturday morning.

• Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery

« 1 2 3 4 »

30th November 2019

Excellent service from the beginning to the end. Thank you.

21st August 2019

I received a total hip replacement on 3rd July 2019, was up and out of bed same day and home the following day. When I met Mr. Lusty I was hugely impressed by his professionalism, high energy, great focus and caring approach to the problems I was experiencing. In my opinion he is surely right at the top of this field in knowledge, patient care and surgical skills. My mobility was so poor I could see I had muscle wastage on my right side and I was housebound through pain and inability to stand up straight. I believe his wonderful, precision surgery has corrected what would have been a life limiting disability. I researched consultants before I went to see Mr. lusty and will always be grateful my good sense and good fortune took me to him. If you need this procedure or are contemplating it, this is the surgeon to go to.

28th August 2019
Response from Mr Patrick Lusty

Thank you for your kind feedback. I am lucky enough to be doing a very successful operation with the support of a great team. I am glad all has gone well. Patrick Lusty

Written by a patient at Southend Hospital
6th August 2019

Mr Lusty carried out revision of canulated screws and a total left hip replacement in March and after 5 months, I have been discharged. I fractured my hip and it was repaired with screws and after some 10 months unfortunately developed necrosis, which meant the bone had died due to lack of blood supply. I had developed leg shortening which made me walk with a bad limp, in fact most of my time was spent resting, due to the the pain I cannot stress how much this operation has improved my life, from immediately after the surgery. I had a general anaesthetic, due to the revision of the screws, but still recovered well and was discharged home on crutches. I had expected severe pain, but am delighted to say that it did not happen. I was advised Paracetamol and codeine, but did not take the latter very often. I did the Physio exercises 3 times a day and progressed to walking with 1 stick extremely quickly. I found the Paracetamol helped and the exercises became easier within a week or so. Prior to my fracture I was at the gym and doing cardiac rehab exercises. This came to a stop with the fracture, but now I am back to walking, all be it a slower pace than before, but then I am an older lady and never ran a marathon before, so that's fine. Mr Lusty, is pleasant, easy to talk to and inspires confidence. He takes the time to listen to you and makes everything sound so straight forward, he has a good sense of humour and is a very pleasant man to deal with. I have only ever heard praise of him from the ward staff. I must also mention his team, who take the time to explain everything fully after the operation. This makes the whole experience much easier.

28th August 2019
Response from Mr Patrick Lusty

Thank you for leaving this review. A fractured hip can often be fixed rather than replaced, Some repairs are at risk of avascular necrosis which unfortunately happened here. I am glad your hip is now working well and that the team all helped improve your experience.

5th August 2019

I had a right hip replacement at the Spire Wellesley hospital on the 19th June last, carried out by Mr Lusty. I was walking unaided after four weeks and signed off after 6 weeks. I have been an OAP for quite a few years so I think that thanks to Mr Lusty this was a brilliant result.

28th August 2019
Response from Mr Patrick Lusty

Thank you for taking to time to leave this review. Hip replacement is a wonderful operation when it goes well. I am glad that our team was able to help.

20th June 2019

Just seven weeks after my total knee replacement I was extremely pleased to have been signed off by Mr Lusty. I am sure, like many I was quite apprehensive about the knee replacement procedure. However, just seven weeks following the operation I was walking well without the need of supporting walking sticks. Opting for a spinal injection did I feel assist in recovery immediately after the operation and after just a couple of nights in hospital I was ready to return home. For the first few weeks there was a need to continue taking the pain killing drugs which enabled me to continue the important exercises required to get movement back into the knee joint. Within weeks though, I felt comfortable taking just a few paracetamol as-and-when I felt the need. As they say, there is no gain without pain and the importance of making a big effort with exercising certainly paid off. After just four weeks the Physiotherapist felt I was OK to start driving again and after six weeks walking without the aid of a stick. There is little doubt that Mr Lusty and his team are fully abreast of this knee replacement procedure. Their approach to this operation is extremely professional and in my case I find the outcome rather remarkable. I was and am surprised how quickly my new knee is able to fully support weight without any real pain. If asked, were there any issues? Well yes, night times were difficult to begin with as the muscles etc felt very bruised and finding a comfortable sleeping position wasn't easy. Have I been lucky? Maybe; but I have tried to continue the exercises which I feel have played a key role in my recovery... exercises after which, often required the regular application of a large bag of frozen peas to reduce any swelling, yes the bags of peas worked well! Having had a successful outcome it is difficult to say what improvements might be made to improve the care I received. The operation and immediate aftercare I received from Mr Lusty and is team has been a credit to their skills and I have no hesitation in recommending them to anyone who requires knee surgery. I would add that for some, the four sessions with the physio might not be enough. In particular where some encouragement is required to make the required effort to continue with important regular exercises. For some the Physio sessions might be seen as a motivator and confidence booster. I feel that in most cases four sessions at one week intervals would not be sufficient. Maybe, the operation should come with a few months Gym membership? Thank you to The Spire Wellesley in particular Mr Lusty and his team

23rd June 2019
Response from Mr Patrick Lusty

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a thorough account of your knee replacement I am glad you have done well. More physiotherapy is available if required.. Physiotherapy is not like having a personal trainer, and the exercises need to be done frequently, not just with the physiotherapist. There is evidence that working on an exercise bike both before and after knee replacement speeds recovery and improves outcome.. I am glad that the frozen peas were a help however there are better ways to reduce pain and swelling, specific cooling packs that can be hired to avoid cold burns. Best wishes Patrick Lusty

« 1 2 3 4 »