mr-shivakumar-shankar

Mr Shivakumar Shankar

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Written by a NHS patient at Queen's Hospital
1st November 2022

Mr Shankar carried out my hip replacement in November 2021. I cant thank Mr Shankar enough for his surgical skills and care which have given me a new lease of life without pain. I recently had a twelve-month follow up and Im so pleased that my implant is working perfectly. I remember my operation well and Mr Shankar and his team explained the whole procedure and all the potential hazards and risk assessments. The aftercare with the COPE team was also excellent and I was walking normally within a few days of the operation. To the whole team....."Thank you so much".

Written by a NHS patient at Queen's Hospital
21st October 2022

Mr. Shivakumar Shanker performed TKR for both knees. Both have been with satisfactory results. The first knee was done using tractional method. The second was Robotic surgery. Mr Shivakumar has has pleasant personalty. Easy to talk to, had time to answer questions. When I saw Vinny on20th October 2022, he came personally came to talk me and was satisfied with the progress I was making. I would definitely recommand him if you wish to get hip or knee replacement. Overall the staff were very caring at KG hospital.

Written by a NHS patient at Spire Hartswood Hospital
14th October 2022

I found Dr Shankar to be very thorough and helpful, he kept me informed on the progress of my treatment, before and after my surgery. He has been able to return me to mobility, pain free for the first time in years.

Written by a NHS patient at Spire Hartswood Hospital
17th September 2022

My TKR surgery was a complete success thanks to my surgeon Mr Shankar. He was very caring and put me at ease, he also answered any questions I had. I would certainly recommend him and I hope that when the time comes for my other knee replacement he will perform my surgery.

Written by a private patient at Spire Hartswood Hospital
14th September 2022

My surgery was a complete success

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Mr Shivakumar Shankar was awarded the iWantGreatCare certificate of excellence in 2022 for delivering outstanding care.

I am a consultant orthopaedic surgeon with special interest in Computer navigation assisted and Robotic Hip and knee replacement. I routinely perform knee arthroscopic procedures, knee cartilage reconstruction procedures including PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) injection.
I work as a NHS consultant at Barking, Havering and Redbridge Hospital. My work is based at Queens Hospital, Romford and King George Hospital, Good Mayes.
I obtained my higher surgical training in Trauma and Orthopaedics on the North East Thames and London Deanery on the prestigious Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital (RNOH) rotation.

I trained in University hospitals like RNOH and the Great Ormond Street Hospital. I obtained trauma training at one of the London’s major trauma centre, the Royal London Hospital. I also obtained training in various district general hospitals in London and Essex.
I am Fellowship trained. My UK fellowships were the prestigious RNOH, Stanmore lower limb arthroplasty fellowship.
Armed with evidence of innovation in the form of computed assisted and robotic lower limb arthroplasty to aid provision of best outcomes for my arthroplasty patients, I completed my fellowship at The Golden Jubilee Hospital, Glasgow in computer navigation assisted hip and knee arthroplasty fellowship.
To further my experience, I completed a travelling fellowship in Germany in Rummelsberg in the reputed unit of Professor Wagner with experience in anterior approach hip arthroplasty. I have clinical and academic links with the unit
My additional leadership roles in my NHS hospital are
Infection lead for Department of Trauma and Orthopaedics: Current lead supervising and working with multidisciplinary team for accurate diagnosis and effective treatment of surgical site infections in elective and trauma patients

Clinical Audit Lead for Department of Trauma and Orthopaedics: Currently supervise all the clinical audit projects in the department

Clinical Lead for neck of femur and femur fractures management : Supervise timely management to provide best quality of patient care for these vulnerable group of patients

I have published in peer review journals and presented in many international and national orthopaedic conferences.I am a reviewer of original articles in Indian journal of Orthopaedics.
Further to my mandatory qualifications of MRCS, FRCSEd (Tr & Orth), I have completed my MSc (Tr &Orth) from the University College of London. I have also completed a formal Diploma in Computer assisted Orthopaedic surgery.
I use computer navigated and robotic surgery, which increases the accuracy of hip and knee replacement surgery further to improve the longevity of the artificial joint. My expertise in the computer navigation technology improves the functional outcome of my hip and knee replacement patients.

Areas of interest