Mr Naren Basu

Consultant Breast and Oncoplastic Surgeon at one the largest trusts in the region. Trained in London and holds several degrees from St. Bartholomew's and the Royal London Medical School, University College London and Imperial College London. Completed the National Oncoplastic Fellowship in Manchester at the Nightingale Breast Unit as well as further ongoing research at the Genesis Prevention Centre. Further fellowships at Harvard (Dana-Faber Cancer Institute) and awarded the Ronald Raven Award for a travelling fellowship to the Institut Curie, Paris. Oncoplastic repertoire includes Therapeutic Mammoplasty (breast reduction technique to remove cancer), Reconstruction using implant and autologous tissue, Nipple Reconstruction, Liposculpture of the Breast and Contralateral Symmetrisation.

19th November 2018
Written by a patient at BMI The Priory Hospital

My decision to have breast reduction was a relatively easy one. I had been planning this for the last 19 years since my twins were born. Feeling rather low and dealing with the constant backaches, shoulder digs, the shape, size and low esteem and confidence, I made the decision to find and contact a surgeon who specialised in the procedure of Breast Reduction. Word of mouth is a good place to start, but I contacted my GP who gave me a shortlist of Surgeons to consider. I went away and googled the names. As I searched, there were lots of questions in my head. Level of care, what if I’m not happy with the result? Risks? Complications? Infections? Bleeding? Scars? Loss of nipple sensation? The list was endless. After a lot of research, I came across Dr Naren Basu, who specialised in Breast Reduction and breast related problems. I booked an appointment with Dr Basu. He took the time to explain everything to me, explaining how the procedure is carried out, how long it would take, potential risks, complications, pain relief. He asked what my expectations were and what I wanted to achieve. He also explained how the procedure is done, moving the nipple to a new position, opting for the anchor technique by removing the excess tissue and reshaping the breasts to a more ‘youthful’ position which would suit my body frame. Dr Basu asked me to take a few days to consider. He didn’t pressurize me. I felt very comfortable to be able to talk to someone who knew what I was feeling. It didn’t take me long to decide. I booked my next consultation with Dr Basu. I was asked to go and have my pre-op bloods done and have a mammogram as the previous one was nearly 2 years ago. The nurse went through my medical history Dr Basu listens to his patients and is happy to answer any questions and is easily approachable. This is a ‘must’ if you are going to put your trust in your Doctor. On the day of the Surgery, I checked into the Priory. The nurses came in to my room and give me compression stockings to wear and got me ready for my Surgery. I met the anaesthetist who introduced himself, then Dr Basu came in and marked me up for the Op and took pre-op photos. I was so excited. I walked down to the theatre where I was met by the Team. I was reassured all the time. Surgery was about 4 hours. When I woke, I was in the recovery room. I remember the nurse constantly monitoring me. The anaesthetist came to check on me and so did Dr Basu. He said the surgery went well. I was feeling drowsy and woozy from the painkillers and was all bandaged up with the dressings. I was taken back to my room about an hour later, Where I was so grateful for a cup of tea. I just lay propped up in my bed thankful that it was all done. Now it was time for recovery. I was all bandaged up, feeling very swollen, tender, lumpy but it was to be expected. The nurses looked after me so well and were prompt when I required any pain killers. I think Dr Basu is a perfectionist. He came to see me again and check on my progress. I spent the night at the hospital as this is recommended when you have had a general anaesthetic. It is also advisable to have someone to care for you for the following 48 hours once home. As I was not mobile for a while after I had the op, I had these funny electric compression blood pressure balloon things on my legs, which constantly tightened and released to keep my blood flowing. Understandable. The day after the surgery, I managed to get up, go to the bathroom, have a little wash and get changed. I even managed to don a little make up as it was a confidence boost. Before I left the hospital (a little over 24 hours) I was given medication and contact no’s and medical advice. I had a soft cushion which I used on the way home in the car to use as padding between the seatbelt and myself. Week one - Back home it was all about taking the pain killers (as and when required), trying to find a comfortable position to rest/sleep, keeping hydrated and eating small regular meals. There is no real pressure to get up and about. The first week is about dealing with the woozy after effects of the general anaesthetic, getting your head around the op and the unbearable pain of your bandaged chest. Another issue to deal with is constipation. This is urrgggghh. Nightmare. Best to get some sort of laxatives. Week two – went back to see Dr Basu in the clinic where he removed some bandaging. A lot of sticky surgical tape and visible bruising, swelling with meshed gauze over the areola where it has been repositioned, down each boob and under the curve of each boob. A lot of sticky surgical tape which takes forever to remove, but its best to keep all these areas dry as it helps with the healing process. Sleeping on your back is advisable for the first few weeks propped up with pillows, on sides and back as its very difficult to move. Wedging yourself in a good sleeping position finally allowed me to get some well deserved sleep. Wearing a good post surgery non wired bra is a must. Wear as soon as surgery is over. Start off with a sports bra which is tight and fitted, even a soft cup one will do which is fitted and supportive. Front fastening are ideal as its easier to remove and wont irritate the stitches. Its been 4 weeks now since my surgery in October 2018. I am so happy with the results so far. Of course, I am still experiencing the pain, Hardly any back pain. I feel so confident. The remaining bandages have been removed. The scars are so neat. All in all, I know that my breast reduction surgery was the best decision I have taken. I weighed up all the pros and cons, I can’t believe I’ve gone from a J cup to a DD cup. In proportion to my body, my boobs look fantastic. Obviously, there is still a lot of swelling but this will go down over the next 6-12 months I presume. Anyone contemplating this surgery, you will not regret it. Yes, you will be left with scars but they will a part of the ‘new’ You. The process may be scary but I don’t regret it for one second. Words cannot express how I feel. The experience has been life changing and I cannot recommend Dr Basu enough. He is caring, understanding and works magic. I cannot thank him and his team enough for everything they have done for me.

14th October 2018
Written by a patient at Queen Elizabeth Hospital

I am currently six weeks post op having undergone reduction mammoplasty with lift. Last year I had treatment for breast cancer, lumpectomy followed by chemo and radiotherapy. As time progressed I felt uncomfortable with the way I looked, the shape the size and my confidence. An appointment was made with Dr Basu and it was decided I wait for the results of my first mammogram then we would go from there. My mind was made up even before I left the hospital as he made me feel very much at ease. He explained the procedure clearly, was specific and very honest especially with the potential risks as in my case, radiotherapy. I returned to work after two weeks as my recovery was better than expected and so far I have been fortunate not to experience any of the 'risks' The care I received was outstanding from beginning to end Dr Basu and everyone involved are truly professional in all that they do. Last week I had the dressings removed and have to say the end result has exceeded expectations. For me this is life changing, I feel transformed! My breasts are perfect! The scars are hardly noticeable and I am thrilled with the whole experience. I would HIGHLY recommend Dr Basu with no hesitance, he is most caring, understanding and honest. Thank you so so much Dr Basu

27th August 2018
Written by a patient at Spire Little Aston Hospital

The first Saturday in January this year I found a lump in my left breast. I was referred by my GP to the Breast Clinic at George Eliot Hospital for initial tests which, bizarrely, was the day after my youngest sister had her last radiotherapy session in her treatment for breast cancer. I was subsequently diagnosed with triple negative cancer which was the same as my sisters. Being told you have breast cancer is scary. You find a lump and the diagnosis as to whether you have cancer is 50 : 50. Despite knowing that my sister had come through treatment well, and looked amazing in the process, there was no getting away from the fact that there are victims ... was I going to be one of them? I met Mr Basu and my Macmillan Clinical Nurse Specialist four days after my diagnosis and found that he was the total opposite of what I imagined a surgeon would be. He was warm and showed a remarkable compassion for what is predominately a female problem. He explained the different types of breast cancer, what triple negative cancer was and the most effective treatment for it which, in my case, was chemotherapy, a mastectomy and radiotherapy. With my paternal aunt having mastectomies at 37 and 50, my sister having been diagnosed at 43 and myself being 51 at diagnosis he felt it was worth referring me to the Genetics Service since the result of a gene test could influence my surgery. My sister and I had our test and I turned out to have the PALB2 gene alteration. Upon receiving this result I had a meeting with Mr Basu who listened to my feelings about the result/risk reducing surgery before giving his opinion. He then spent time explaining what types of reconstruction were available, the pros and cons of each and what he felt would suit me best. I had bilateral mastectomies, opted for reconstruction with implants and had a sentinel node biopsy at the end of June. Although my recovery is ongoing surgery was fine and certainly nowhere near as uncomfortable as I thought it would be. We had a bit of a scare when the node biopsy came back with 3 of the 4 nodes taken showing signs of disease so a CT scan was arranged. Fortunately there was no spread but an axillary clearance was needed which was done the end of July and I’m healing well. There are no words to express my gratitude to Mr Basu. He is an incredibly gifted surgeon who is approachable, respects and, most importantly, listens to his patient. He takes time to explain things clearly and doesn’t mind answering any questions long after you have left him. Receiving a cancer diagnosis is immense but I consider myself incredibly lucky. I found the lump early, came through chemotherapy with no problems, found out I had a gene alteration and had the luxury of making an informed choice regarding risk reducing surgery. I have had bilateral mastectomies and an axillary clearance and, although I have radiotherapy to come, I doubt I would’ve been able to remain so positive had it not been for having confidence that my surgeon would do his best for me. Mr Basu and his team are exceptional ... they are incredibly supportive and have made the last 7 months relatively easy for both myself and my husband. Thank you so very much Mr Basu ... you are an absolute hero and I’m truly blessed to be in your care!

26th August 2018
Written by a patient at Spire Little Aston Hospital

Following tests in the US I returned home to have a breast lesion removed. When i first met with Dr. Basu I was very nervous as was unsure of exactly what was wrong. From our initial meeting my fears were gone. Dr Basu has a calm manner which elicits trust in his capabilities. He is professional and put me completley at ease. Dr Basu explained very clearly the issue and the proceedure. I did not feel nervous about the surgery because of him. On the day of.the surgery he met with me before and after the operation and i felt looked after. I would definitley recommend Dr Basu.

26th December 2017
Written by a carer at BMI The Priory Hospital

Words cant express my profound satisfaction, Mr Basu, is just too good at what he does. I have never met a great guy like him before he ticks all my boxes.

Short link to review Mr Naren Basu: http://iwgc.net/ega4h