Mr Naren Basu

Consultant Breast and Oncoplastic Surgeon at one the largest trusts in the region. Trained in London and holds several degrees from St. Bartholomew's and the Royal London Medical School, University College London and Imperial College London. Completed the National Oncoplastic Fellowship in Manchester at the Nightingale Breast Unit as well as further ongoing research at the Genesis Prevention Centre. Further fellowships at Harvard (Dana-Faber Cancer Institute) and awarded the Ronald Raven Award for a travelling fellowship to the Institut Curie, Paris. Oncoplastic repertoire includes Therapeutic Mammoplasty (breast reduction technique to remove cancer), Reconstruction using implant and autologous tissue, Nipple Reconstruction, Liposculpture of the Breast and Contralateral Symmetrisation.

16th August 2016
Written by a patient at Birmingham Women's Hospital

I was referred to Mr Naren Basu at the breast clinic of the Queen Elizabeth hospital by my GP following breast and back pain. Mr Basu was professional and empathetic on all appointments as we discussed a breast reduction for my 30jj breast size. Initially i was slightly concerned about how I would look physically as mr Basu informed me it was a functional operation rather than cosmetic and ran through all the risks (quite scary)- however the risks and physical appearance were in my mind worth it for how much pain I was in & uncomfortable all of the time. I was informed the procedure would be done in a couple of hours and I should be home the same day. On the day of the operation (April 2016) I was very, very nervous. Mr Basu came to see me to see if I had any questions, concerns and to fill out the consent forms and to mark me up ready for the operation. I was very nervous. My Basu made no promises on the outcome and again went over the risks. Following my operation, while I was in recovery Mr Basu came to see me to tell me about the operation, how much he had removed etc but I wasn't really with it following the anastetic. Mr Basu again came to see me a few hours later as I was being sick and to talk about the operation. I felt so ill following the anastetic Mr Basu advised me to stay over night ( I couldn't have gone home). Mr Basu came to see me again early next morning to check me over and remove my drains - this was the first glimpse I got and prepared myself for how I would look - even battered and bruised the results were amazing - I was so so so pleased!! I was still feeling poorly so Mr Basu advised me to rest that day and again came to see me later that day as was concerned as to why I was being sick. Mr Basu really exceptional aftercare, over and above what you would expect. I went home that evening, by my choice as Mr Basu offered another night stay. He also made an appointment available for me with him at the breast clinic the following morning if I still felt ill or had any concerns. I had 2/3 follow up appointments following my breast reduction. On each appointment Mr Basu was fantastic - he made me no promises at all but honestly delivered on every area! Cosmetically I truly look amazing, the scars are so thin, neat & fabulous and will soon fade and health wise I don't have breast pain, back pain, headaches or suffer with sciatica anymore - I'm a new person! Emotionally I feel more confident and can wear clothes I've never been able to wear and can take part in sports. Honestly changed my life I'm so happy. I would recommend Mr Basu to anyone.........I'm so so pleased and believe I had the best care. Thank you so very much - you are a star! My breast size now is 34dd

28th April 2016
Written by a patient at Queen Elizabeth Hospital

I was referred from my GP to Mr Basu at the Queen Elizabeth hospital for a bilateral breast reduction. Every consultation I have had with Mr. Basu he has always shown empathy. He is an extremely kind and friendly person, which makes you feel comfortable when you have an appoint,net at the hospital, as this can be quite daunting. On the day of my operation all the staff on East block including Mr Basu were very welcoming and friendly, this made me feel very relaxed before my procedure. After my operation Mr Basu came to visit me the next day and explained to me what they had done during the procedure and how he and his staff agreed on my new size, and it being the best size for me. I did not have any problems post op and I am extremely happy with the results. My back pain has now disappeared, I feel confident in myself and I can also enjoy sports. My scars are very neat and will disappear in time. I had no infection after my operation. I went from a J cup to a D cup. I am now in proportion to my body size. Its the best thing that has happened to me and I would like to thank everyone that was involved with my journey. I would also like to thank cros city CCG for funding my operation. I hope that bilateral breast reduction is funded more often for more patients in my situation because it has honestly change my life. Once again Thank you so much Mr Basu.

20th May 2015
Written by a patient at Queen Elizabeth Hospital

At first it was quite daunting attending appointments but after our initial meeting, I found Mr Basu to be professional and empathetic. He doesn't soft soap you and tells you the truth which is what you want. Before, during and after surgery Mr Basu made me feel like I was getting the best care. I would certainly recommend him.

8th February 2015
Written by a patient at Queen Elizabeth Hospital

Recently I had to have surgery under Mr. Basu following the discovery of DCIS in one of my breasts. Mr. Basu's communication was excellent. He was re-assuring and thorough in the explanations of the two procedures he offered. I was well informed at each consultation and was well able to make a decision on which procedure to undergo. Mr. Basu gave me an extra appointment to make sure that I was fully comfortable with my decision and fully understood the surgery I had chosen. My breast surgery was first class. He took time out to visit me on the ward afterwards to ensure all was well with me both physically and emotionally. I cannot praise Mr Basu too highly and would have no hesitation to recommend him to those who need breast surgery. Because of the great care I received from Mr. Basu I cannot make any suggestions to improve his care. AK Birmingham

11th November 2014
Written by a patient at BMI The Priory Hospital

Mr Basu treated me at BMI Priory hospital in September this year. His knowledge and thorough explanations before the surgery made me feel completely at ease and confident. The surgery was exacted with minimal discomfort and very little bruising afterwards, allowing me a speedy recovery. Following my breast cancer surgery I am very happy firstly with the success of the surgery, but also with the cosmetic results. Follow up consultations have shown him to be caring and attentive, and I would put my complete trust in Mr Basu.

Short link to review Mr Naren Basu: http://iwgc.net/ega4h