Mr Naren Basu

Consultant Breast and Oncoplastic Surgeon at one the largest trusts in the region. Trained in London and holds several degrees from St. Bartholomew's and the Royal London Medical School, University College London and Imperial College London. Completed the National Oncoplastic Fellowship in Manchester at the Nightingale Breast Unit as well as further ongoing research at the Genesis Prevention Centre. Further fellowships at Harvard (Dana-Faber Cancer Institute) and awarded the Ronald Raven Award for a travelling fellowship to the Institut Curie, Paris. Oncoplastic repertoire includes Therapeutic Mammoplasty (breast reduction technique to remove cancer), Reconstruction using implant and autologous tissue, Nipple Reconstruction, Liposculpture of the Breast and Contralateral Symmetrisation.

27th August 2018
Written by a patient at Spire Little Aston Hospital

The first Saturday in January this year I found a lump in my left breast. I was referred by my GP to the Breast Clinic at George Eliot Hospital for initial tests which, bizarrely, was the day after my youngest sister had her last radiotherapy session in her treatment for breast cancer. I was subsequently diagnosed with triple negative cancer which was the same as my sisters. Being told you have breast cancer is scary. You find a lump and the diagnosis as to whether you have cancer is 50 : 50. Despite knowing that my sister had come through treatment well, and looked amazing in the process, there was no getting away from the fact that there are victims ... was I going to be one of them? I met Mr Basu and my Macmillan Clinical Nurse Specialist four days after my diagnosis and found that he was the total opposite of what I imagined a surgeon would be. He was warm and showed a remarkable compassion for what is predominately a female problem. He explained the different types of breast cancer, what triple negative cancer was and the most effective treatment for it which, in my case, was chemotherapy, a mastectomy and radiotherapy. With my paternal aunt having mastectomies at 37 and 50, my sister having been diagnosed at 43 and myself being 51 at diagnosis he felt it was worth referring me to the Genetics Service since the result of a gene test could influence my surgery. My sister and I had our test and I turned out to have the PALB2 gene alteration. Upon receiving this result I had a meeting with Mr Basu who listened to my feelings about the result/risk reducing surgery before giving his opinion. He then spent time explaining what types of reconstruction were available, the pros and cons of each and what he felt would suit me best. I had bilateral mastectomies, opted for reconstruction with implants and had a sentinel node biopsy at the end of June. Although my recovery is ongoing surgery was fine and certainly nowhere near as uncomfortable as I thought it would be. We had a bit of a scare when the node biopsy came back with 3 of the 4 nodes taken showing signs of disease so a CT scan was arranged. Fortunately there was no spread but an axillary clearance was needed which was done the end of July and I’m healing well. There are no words to express my gratitude to Mr Basu. He is an incredibly gifted surgeon who is approachable, respects and, most importantly, listens to his patient. He takes time to explain things clearly and doesn’t mind answering any questions long after you have left him. Receiving a cancer diagnosis is immense but I consider myself incredibly lucky. I found the lump early, came through chemotherapy with no problems, found out I had a gene alteration and had the luxury of making an informed choice regarding risk reducing surgery. I have had bilateral mastectomies and an axillary clearance and, although I have radiotherapy to come, I doubt I would’ve been able to remain so positive had it not been for having confidence that my surgeon would do his best for me. Mr Basu and his team are exceptional ... they are incredibly supportive and have made the last 7 months relatively easy for both myself and my husband. Thank you so very much Mr Basu ... you are an absolute hero and I’m truly blessed to be in your care!

26th August 2018
Written by a patient at Spire Little Aston Hospital

Following tests in the US I returned home to have a breast lesion removed. When i first met with Dr. Basu I was very nervous as was unsure of exactly what was wrong. From our initial meeting my fears were gone. Dr Basu has a calm manner which elicits trust in his capabilities. He is professional and put me completley at ease. Dr Basu explained very clearly the issue and the proceedure. I did not feel nervous about the surgery because of him. On the day of.the surgery he met with me before and after the operation and i felt looked after. I would definitley recommend Dr Basu.

26th December 2017
Written by a carer at BMI The Priory Hospital

Words cant express my profound satisfaction, Mr Basu, is just too good at what he does. I have never met a great guy like him before he ticks all my boxes.

17th December 2017
Written by a patient at Birmingham Women's Hospital

Overall, I had the most exceptional experience being cared for by Mr Basu and his team. After being diagnosed with Cowden Syndrome, part of this condition means an increased risk of developing breast cancer. I was referred to the breast care team to monitor the many breast lumps I had and to explore my options. Mr Basu is empathetic and person centred in his approach. He took the time to explain things to me clearly and concisely. From our first meeting Mr Basu and I decided that a preventative mastectomy was on the cards. However, whilst I was at university we left it for a couple of years and used biopsies and imaging as a means of monitoring. When it came to the mastectomy, the process was the best it could've possibility been. Mr Basu worked around me ensuring I could deal with everything and stay at university. Mr Basu and fellow surgeon Mr Warner put forward an approach to my operation that met my needs completely. Throughout the process, he also ensured that my emotional wellbeing was seen to. I can't thank Mr Basu and his team enough for everything they have done for me.

27th November 2017
Written by a patient at Queen Elizabeth Hospital

I was referred to Queen Elizabeth hospital this year as I had a fibroadenoma which had grown very big up to 11cm long over the past 3 years. As I was very young when I first found out I had the lump, I tried to put off removing it as I had never had surgery in my life. I was at university so did not really think about getting it removed as a priority. I began to feel very insecure about my body and as my breasts did not fit into a bra how they normally should, I decided that it was time to get an excision. I was very nervous going in to the hospital as I did not know what to expect and something as small as a biopsy was nerve wrecking to me. But the team of nurses there were amazing and reassured me that they were there and for me to hold onto them if I needed to. After I had my first ever biopsy done I did not feel a thing! I went back to the hospital to sort out the details for the operation which was very scary to me but Mr Basu again reassured me and I felt confident in trusting him in removing the lump most effectively. On the day of the procedure I just tried to be confident and take everything as it came. The consultants, surgeons and nurses kept making sure I was okay every 10 minutes and briefed me about what to do and what will happen and my parents about everything and once again reassured me. Going into theatre I felt a little nervous but the team there kept talking to me which was great and before I knew it I was waking up in the recovery room. There was a nice lady next to me looking after me as soon as I woke before I went back to the ward. It then took me quite a few hours to recover. I felt a little sore after the anaesthetics began to ware off but the nurses gave me lots of painkillers. They constantly kept checking on me aswell as the consultants after the surgery which was nice of them. It only took me around a week or so to feel alot more active after my surgery. It has now been 4 weeks since I had my surgery and having looked at my scar it is not visible due to my breast covering it! I am completely happy with the result of it and how the process was all along. The best advice I would give to people after this is if you feel a lump getting bigger try to get it removed before it gets too big and complex how mine was! Also, take everything as it comes because it wasn't scary and the painkillers dont make you feel like you are in that much pain! Mr Basu was honestly the best and I couldn't have seen a better doctor than him so thank you!!

Short link to review Mr Naren Basu: http://iwgc.net/ega4h