26th August 2021

I suffered with right sided hearing loss from a young age, seeing many doctors with little improvement. After being recommended to Mr Lavy, they listened to all my history and performed an exploration of the ear Ossiculopasty. At operation was discovered a slightly eroded long process of incus with also incudostapedial joint dislocation. Post operation my hearing was remarkably improved with all signs of tinnitus gone. I couldn’t thank My Lavy and his team anymore for the care and treatment I received

30th June 2021

So my story began a few years back when I was 17 and realised that I was having trouble hearing. I had a hearing test local to me and was told that I had Otosclerosis in both of my ears. At the time I was offered NHS hearing aids but as I was so young I paid to have the smaller ones that fit in the ear as I was so embarrassed about being seen with aids. As time went on I felt that my hearing was deteriorating so I had a BAHA fitted, again this was done at my local hospital. I had been offered a stapledectomy operation but was slightly put off with the slight risk of hearing loss so decided that I’d try all other avenues before I had surgery. I felt that this would be a last resort. A few years passed and I was getting increasingly frustrated with the BAHA as although it was great once I had it on when it wasn’t I was almost completely deaf. The BAHA wasn’t waterproof so I constantly worried if it rained it would get wet and the same when I was out running. A few times people knocked it out throwing their arms around me and I was petrified that it would get trampled on when I was out. Or worse being on holiday and it broke. I came to the realisation that I couldn’t go on like this so one evening I googled otosclerosis and came across Jeremy Lavy’s name and read the reviews that people had written about him. Once finished I knew that this was the person that I needed to talk to. I hadn’t felt overly confident with my consultant at my local hospital but now I felt like I had hope. That evening after emailing Jeremy I waited for a reply and that came a few hours later. I was quite surprised to receive a reply from a consultant personally. The fact that he had time to reply and showed a real interested prompted me to get referred to his clinic in London. After my initial consultation I was booked in for the first of my two operations. The whole time I felt comfortable and happy to be going ahead with the surgery. Jeremy and his team put me at complete ease and I had every faith that the operation was going to be a success. On the morning of the operation I arrived at the NHS TNE hospital in London and was prepared for my operation. I was to be awake through surgery and although I felt very nervous I was put at ease by the lovely nurses and Jeremy. My desire was so strong by then to hear normally that I had every faith in Jeremy and his team. I had read all the reviews, met Jeremy and knew that I was in safe hands. It’s only been 4yrs since my first operation but I can’t remember too much about it other than the moment Jeremy spoke to me after removing the Stapes bone and replacing it with the prosthesis and the first thing I heard was Rock the Casbar on the radio by the Clash!!! It was amazing!!!! I had to wait a while till the anaesthetic wore off then I was allowed home. I had packaging in my ear and felt a little light headed but otherwise I was ok. I did have some numbness in my face and a metallic taste in my mouth but again I was prepared as I had read everything I could about the operation. Again I’m a bit fuzzy but I think it was 6 weeks when I had the packing out. And wow it was amazing for the first time since I could remember I could hear. I felt like crying as I had been struggling for so long. I could’ve kicked myself for not having the operation sooner. 6 moths later I was back to have my left ear operated on. I didn’t think I needed it as my hearing was that good but thought I may as well go for it so that I have two working ears. Fast forward four years and I can’t tell you how much this operation has changed my life. Losing your hearing is devastating I can’t believe I struggled for so many years. I couldn’t lip read and it was beginning to affect every aspect of my life. I’ve now got to a point in my life where I’ve applied for a job that I never could’ve done before as I knew I wouldn’t pass the hearing test but this week I did just that!!!! Ok it wasn’t 100 per cent but it wasn’t far off and to think that I was barely hearing is amazing. I’m eternally grateful to Jeremy and his dedicated staff for changing my life. I just wish that I had done it sooner.

Written by a private patient at OneWelbeck
17th June 2021

My hearing is so much better having seen Mr Lavy and him operating on my middle ear. I am so grateful for his highly professional advice and surgical skill. No more asking everyone to repeat everything!!

17th March 2021

Mr Lavy has been my ENT consultant for around six years and has continued to be an excellent consultant. He preformed my first operation which was six years ago which gave me a new lease of life .I have been having treatment at hospitals all life regarding problems with my ear and have found Mr Lavy's treatment the most successful.

17th March 2021

After recognising I had some hearing loss in 2018, I went through a long process of trying to get a specific diagnosis. The early stages of testing and appointments seemed to just be a tick box exercise. I found the whole process frustrating and it didn’t help with the anxiety of not knowing what was happening with my hearing. My Wife did some research and found Mr Lavy. We made an appointment and we were delighted with the way he interacted with us. He explained everything clearly giving us options on how to proceed. We leant towards to operation option so Mr Lavy gave us statistics on the possible outcomes of the operation. His friendly nature really helps when your concerned about your health. We were able to ask all the questions we had and didn’t feel rushed at all. I chose to have the operation and, on the day, Mr Lavy again explained the process and the ongoing care. It was completed under a local anaesthetic and mild sedation. Throughout the operation I could hear most of what was going on and was reassured by Mr Lavy’s calm mannerisms. I recently went for my follow up appointment and met Mr Lavy again. He ran through the outcome of the operation and confirmed its success. He took the time to show me a selection of hearing test results, taken over the last 2 years, talking me through the areas of improvement. I always thought I was reasonably relaxed about the appointments but was surprised by the relief I felt when I saw that Mr Lavy was doing the follow up. There is a possibility that my other ear may need the same operation in the future. I would be hard pressed to find anyone I trust more than Mr Lavy to perform that operation.

• Otolaryngology

I specialise exclusively in diseases of the ear with a special interest in the surgical restoration of hearing (stapedectomy, ossiculoplasty, tympanoplasty and cochlear implantation)

Nearest Otolaryngologists