Mr Gerard Kelly

Gerard Kelly is a Consultant ENT surgeon in Leeds, he specialises in otology, neuro-otology and sinus surgery and treats both adults and children. He works in Leeds General Infirmary in NHS practice. He qualified in 1990 and became a fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons in 1994. He trained in Glasgow, Edinburgh, London and Manchester. He became a consultant ENT and skull base surgeon in 2001, in Leeds. In private practice her works in the Spire Hospital, Leeds and The Leeds Nuffield Hospital. He sees only private patients in the private sector (whereas some consultants see both NHS and private patients in private hospitals). He is a member of the council of the British Society of Otology (BSO, part of ENTUK) and runs the BSO balance course. He has an MD (Docorate of Medicine) and an MEd (Masters of Education degree) as well as his primary medical degree.

• Otolaryngology

6th September 2018
Written by a patient at Spire Leeds Hospital

My son and I are both under the care of Dr. Kelly and I must say that he is our favourite doctor at Leeds Spire Hospital. He is very professional and friendly. He listens to our concerns and welcomes all our questions with sincerity and understanding. We would recommend him without any hesitation.

24th July 2018
Written by a carer at Leeds General Infirmary

Fantastic surgeon, great manner with my child he has explained everything to him at each stage of his care. He has also explained everything to myself as well so I knew what to expect. He preformed a complex operation on my son lasting over 5 hours. My son’s operation was successful and went better than we could have hoped for and his tiny scar has almost disappeared completely. He continues to monitor my son in his out patient clinic and his follow up care has been excellent as well.

24th July 2018
Written by a patient at Spire Leeds Hospital

After suffering years of problems with blocked sinuses, and allergic reactions to everything from dust, perfume, paint, pollen etc, causing me to be unable to breath through my nose, and constant raw sore swollen throats, and painful inner ear problems, and after seeing various specialists over the years, with only limited success. I went to see Mr Kelly in Dec 2017 when my conditions had been particularly bad. Mr Kelly was perhaps the least intimidating doctor or specialist that I have ever spoken to. He treated me like an old friend, but was very thorough in his research of my history. He patiently explained to me the various problems I had, and showed me the live results of his examinations on his computer. He was very reassuring, and although I expected to have to come back for some minor invasive treatment, he actually did it immediately, on my first visit. Excellent. Months later I returned to see Mr Kelly again with continuing problems with my inner ear, and he was able to assist again. I was particularly impressed that he was able to query something that I had told him on my earlier visit, when I inadvertently contradicted myself on my second, so he proved that his notes were spot on and he that he fully understood them. In June 2018 I had to visit My Kelly again as my inner ear pain was becoming unbearable and I thought that I would now have to resort to surgery, as nothing seemed to have worked for any length of time. Mr Kelly did not wish to pursue the surgery route without trying ever other possibility first and suggested he prescribed two new drugs for me to try for 6 weeks. He asked me to keep him updated by email during that time. The new drugs (one just a nasal spray) were amazing from the first use. Sore swollen throat cured virtually overnight, and after a few days my nasal passages were opening and I could breath through my nose for the first time in years. My inner ear pain and swelling was also reducing. I think that when the current high pollen levels subside, my inner ear problems may reduce, It certainly feels that way, and I feel better than I have for years. My Kelly patiently answered my email updates every time, which was something that I hadn't expected, and he therefore saved me unnecessary visits and expense. Quite excellent. I consider that Mr Kelly has gone way 'above and beyond' what would be considered good service, and I would highly recommend him. GJM

18th July 2018
Written by a patient at Leeds General Infirmary

I was a particularly interesting medical case – to the consultants, doctors, and myself!! One journey in life that I will never forget! To echo the other 5-start reviews, Dr Kelly is a ‘once-in-a-lifetime’ consultant. The words fall short to describe him and to express my gratitude. His demeanour and bed-side manner is positive, thorough, flexible, calm, attentive, and personal. He is extremely knowledgeable, intelligent, has a high level of professional expertise, and is truly an outstanding doctor! He explains everything thoroughly, both in medical terms and every-day language and makes sure you understand everything. He explains all possible alternatives/ surgeries but would suggest what he would do if he was in your position. He once said “I try to treat every patient like I would want to be treated myself, if I was sitting in front of a doctor” – expect nothing less! Before my operation, I read EVERYTHING about him – qualifications, publications, presentations… Simply put - What a legend!! His care pre- and post- operation was beyond imagination. Dr Kelly is far and away the best doctor I have ever come across and nothing I say does justice to this man. Honestly, if one could give a higher rating, Dr Kelly will receive ‘infinity’. Doctor, if you ever get to read this review: I just want to say Thank You! (and Happy Birthday!)

21st July 2018
Response from Mr Gerard Kelly

Thank you very much for these kind words, I so try and treat everyone as I would like to be treated and give everyone the time and attention they need and deserve. GK

12th July 2018
Written by a patient at Leeds General Infirmary

Mr Kelly was absolutely fantastic and listened to my concerns when I was worried about my graft in my left ear failing and he completely reassured me that all was ok. He is a very nice doctor and very approachable that you can talk to him about your concerns. Plus if you are deaf, he's very easy to lipread! :-)

21st July 2018
Response from Mr Gerard Kelly

Grafting of the ear drum is a procedure that has a failure rate even in the best of hands, endoscopic middle ear and mastoid surgery is a real advance in ear operative techniques and I have now carried out over 100 of such procedures in the last 2 years.

Nearest Otolaryngologists