Mr Gerard Kelly

Gerard Kelly is a Consultant ENT surgeon in Leeds, he specialises in otology, neuro-otology and sinus surgery and treats both adults and children. He works in Leeds General Infirmary in NHS practice. He qualified in 1990 and became a fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons in 1994. He trained in Glasgow, Edinburgh, London and Manchester. He became a consultant ENT and skull base surgeon in 2001, in Leeds. In private practice her works in the Spire Hospital, Leeds and The Leeds Nuffield Hospital. He sees only private patients in the private sector (whereas some consultants see both NHS and private patients in private hospitals). He is a member of the council of the British Society of Otology (BSO, part of ENTUK) and runs the BSO balance course. He has an MD (Docorate of Medicine) and an MEd (Masters of Education degree) as well as his primary medical degree.

• Otolaryngology

14th August 2019
Written by a patient at Leeds General Infirmary

I was referred to Mr Kelly by my GP after another ENT consultant at a different hospital told me the only thing that could be done about my hearing problem was to fit me with a hearing aid and dismissed any other treatment. At 33 years old, this was not what I wanted to be told. My experience with Mr Kelly could not have been more different. I found Mr Kelly to be extremely considerate, friendly and listened to my issues. Different treatment options were discussed with Mr Kelly explaining the advantages and possible side effects of them all which made the decision to go ahead with a stapedectomy an easy one. The operation was carried out at the end of June and I have just had my last aftercare appointment - Mr Kelly kept me informed of the procedure and explained everything he was doing so I knew what to expect. My last hearing test showed a great level of improvement in the operated ear; so much so it is now better than my ‘good’ ear!!! I cannot thank Mr Kelly enough, to give someone one of their senses back is just amazing!!!!

29th July 2019
Written by a patient at Nuffield Hospital Leeds

Very patient focussed and listened carefully to what I had to say about the history of my condition (chronic maxillary sinus infection) and previous treatments. Gave me options for possible resolution, with the respective pros/cons and likely outcomes of each. Gave me time to think about the options. We mutually agreed a way forward and I underwent a procedure (FESS) recently to look to resolve the condition. Gave me a follow up regime (frequent saline rinses) and so far the signs are very promising. Mr Kelly took the trouble to personally phone me the day after the operation to describe what he had found and what he had done and he stressed the importance of ongoing sinus rinsing. He also said he could be contacted any time if I had any difficulties. In summary I was/am very pleased with his approach and his genuine desire to resolve the condition.

24th July 2019
Written by a patient at Nuffield Hospital Leeds

I had an adult grommet surgery with Mr Kelly in September 2018 - the experience was great from start to finish. Mr Kelly is very knowledgeable and puts you at ease with his caring/gentle manner. As someone who was extremely nervous to have surgery the experience couldn't have been better - thank you!

9th July 2019
Written by a carer at Nuffield Hospital Leeds

We emailed Mr Kelly on behalf of my mother-in-law. His replies to our queries were prompt, friendly and helpful. She was able to book an appointment to see him within the week, and was delighted with every aspect of her treatment to remove impacted ear wax - described him as friendly, non-patronising, reassuring and gentle. We were very grateful for Mr Kelly's great care and kindness to a nervous elderly lady, and won't hesitate to use him again if the problem recurs. We can't fault his treatment, or think of anything to suggest to make it better!

8th July 2019
Written by a patient at Nuffield Hospital Leeds

I was under the care of Mr Kelly for an adult tonsillectomy. From the initial consultation until I was discharged, Mr Kelly was professional, helpful, approachable and informative. Mr Kelly explained the risks of undergoing this type of surgery as an adult, the level of pain I could expect post surgery, the average duration of the recovery period and what I could do to minimise the chance of any complications. As a result I was able to make appropriate preparations regarding time off work and ensure I had adequate help at home during this time. It’s been 11 days since my surgery and thanks to Mr Kelly’s advice, skill and expertise, I have had no complications and the medications I was given on discharge were enough to see me through the worst of the pain. At my request, Mr Kelly was also kind enough to send me a picture of my tonsils. I would highly recommended Mr Kelly to anyone considering undergoing this type of surgery.

Nearest Otolaryngologists