Mr Gerard Kelly

Gerard Kelly is a Consultant ENT surgeon in Leeds, he specialises in otology, neuro-otology and sinus surgery and treats both adults and children. He works in Leeds General Infirmary in NHS practice. He qualified in 1990 and became a fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons in 1994. He trained in Glasgow, Edinburgh, London and Manchester. He became a consultant ENT and skull base surgeon in 2001, in Leeds. In private practice her works in the Spire Hospital, Leeds and The Leeds Nuffield Hospital. He sees only private patients in the private sector (whereas some consultants see both NHS and private patients in private hospitals). He is a member of the council of the British Society of Otology (BSO, part of ENTUK) and runs the BSO balance course. He has an MD (Docorate of Medicine) and an MEd (Masters of Education degree) as well as his primary medical degree.

• Otolaryngology

18th July 2018
Written by a patient at Leeds General Infirmary

I was a particularly interesting medical case – to the consultants, doctors, and myself!! One journey in life that I will never forget! To echo the other 5-start reviews, Dr Kelly is a ‘once-in-a-lifetime’ consultant. The words fall short to describe him and to express my gratitude. His demeanour and bed-side manner is positive, thorough, flexible, calm, attentive, and personal. He is extremely knowledgeable, intelligent, has a high level of professional expertise, and is truly an outstanding doctor! He explains everything thoroughly, both in medical terms and every-day language and makes sure you understand everything. He explains all possible alternatives/ surgeries but would suggest what he would do if he was in your position. He once said “I try to treat every patient like I would want to be treated myself, if I was sitting in front of a doctor” – expect nothing less! Before my operation, I read EVERYTHING about him – qualifications, publications, presentations… Simply put - What a legend!! His care pre- and post- operation was beyond imagination. Dr Kelly is far and away the best doctor I have ever come across and nothing I say does justice to this man. Honestly, if one could give a higher rating, Dr Kelly will receive ‘infinity’. Doctor, if you ever get to read this review: I just want to say Thank You! (and Happy Birthday!)

21st July 2018
Response from Mr Gerard Kelly

Thank you very much for these kind words, I so try and treat everyone as I would like to be treated and give everyone the time and attention they need and deserve. GK

12th July 2018
Written by a patient at Leeds General Infirmary

Mr Kelly was absolutely fantastic and listened to my concerns when I was worried about my graft in my left ear failing and he completely reassured me that all was ok. He is a very nice doctor and very approachable that you can talk to him about your concerns. Plus if you are deaf, he's very easy to lipread! :-)

21st July 2018
Response from Mr Gerard Kelly

Grafting of the ear drum is a procedure that has a failure rate even in the best of hands, endoscopic middle ear and mastoid surgery is a real advance in ear operative techniques and I have now carried out over 100 of such procedures in the last 2 years.

24th March 2018
Written by a patient at Nuffield Hospital Leeds

Mr Kelly was an incredible help being the best surgeon that I could have hoped to have. Not only did he perform a fantastic job removing my extensive cholesteatoma mainly endoscopically, but he was always very patient, friendly and welcomed any and all questions. Post procedure I asked for some advice via email, receiving a very helpful and prompt response. I could not recommend this surgeon enough.

23rd March 2018
Written by a patient at Nuffield Hospital Leeds

I saw Gerard on a Friday evening having travelled as a private patient from Lytham in Lancashire. Let me just say how blown away I was from arrival at the Nuffield Hospital to leaving... Gerard was extreamly thorough in his examinations and listened to everything I mentioned, his tests were very very good and interesting indeed, he told me exactly about my condition and advised and helped on the steps I needed to take for the future. He was so so friendly and was on time. I felt very at ease and in safe hands. I would definitely recommend Gerard Kelly to anyone who is looking for answers with new or ongoing ENT conditions. I hope to see Gerard soon for a follow up/check up appointment on my progress.

21st July 2018
Response from Mr Gerard Kelly

Thank you! I am very happy to see patients - Leeds is very central and has good links if you are coming from out of the region!

20th March 2018
Written by a patient at Nuffield Hospital Leeds

I struggled with severe nose bleeds from 8 Jan to 5 March, frequent and heavy. Several trips to A&E with input from ENT and some cautery did not cure me. I saw Mr Kelly on 22 Feb and found him extremely thorough and painstaking in his consultations and 2 bouts of cautery - the second of which on 5 March highlighted a 'hidden' blood vessel in an apparently unusual position but which he found and cauterised, finally curing the problem. Apart from his clinical expertise he was also very warm and amenable in dealing with me as his patient.

Nearest Otolaryngologists