Mr Gerard Kelly

Gerard Kelly is a Consultant ENT surgeon in Leeds, he specialises in otology, neuro-otology and sinus surgery and treats both adults and children. He works in Leeds General Infirmary in NHS practice. He qualified in 1990 and became a fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons in 1994. He trained in Glasgow, Edinburgh, London and Manchester. He became a consultant ENT and skull base surgeon in 2001, in Leeds. In private practice her works in the Spire Hospital, Leeds and The Leeds Nuffield Hospital. He sees only private patients in the private sector (whereas some consultants see both NHS and private patients in private hospitals). He is a member of the council of the British Society of Otology (BSO, part of ENTUK) and runs the BSO balance course. He has an MD (Docorate of Medicine) and an MEd (Masters of Education degree) as well as his primary medical degree.

• Otolaryngology

26th July 2017
Written by a patient at Spire Leeds Hospital

I recently underwent an ear operation performed by Mr Gerard Kelly. Throughout my treatments, procedures and consultations I have been extremely pleased with the excellent care, consideration and respect given to me by Mr Kelly. I would highly recommend him for any ENT treatments and will happily return to his care in the future should the need arise.

6th July 2017
Written by a patient at Leeds General Infirmary

What can i say. He is amazing and gave me a new lense of life and been able to follow my dream and do a career ive always wanted to do. I didn't think i had the hearing ability before the operation but now wow i hear everything. I have it all and more thanks to Dr Kelly

22nd June 2017
Written by a carer at Spire Leeds Hospital

We saw Mr Kelly with our 22 month old son who had been suffering with terrible ear infections and glue ear for around 6 months. Mr Kelly was incredibly patient with both us and our little boy and took the time to listen to our sons medical history. He also spent time talking to our son. I should mention Mr Kelly was the second consultant we had seen. The first did not really acknowledge our little boy. Although he is young I still feel its important for a doctor to talk to him as well! Mr Kelly was fantastic with him and really put him at ease. In the end Mr Kelly recommended grommets for our son. I was very nervous about him having surgery but Mr Kelly really put us at ease. He also made time to come and speak to us almost straight after the operation so we didnt have to wait for a long time to find out how it had gone. In the end the grommets have transformed all our lives! He has gone from a very grumpy withdrawn toddler to a happy and outgoing boy. I would not hesitate to recommend Mr Kelly.

18th May 2017
Written by a patient at Spire Leeds Hospital

I was concerned about balance issues. Mr Kelly was very thorough and quickly assessed the situation putting my mind at rest prior to my leaving the consultation. The exercises he suggested sorted out the problem within an extremely short space of time. It had sounded too easy at the time and so before I left I asked him what he thought had created the problem. He said it could be down to a stomach virus and I do have a sensitive stomach. A few months later I had another stomach upset and my balance was affected again but using the exercises the problem was quickly sorted. He had also suggested that I might be making the situation worse due to anxiety. Never having considered myself an anxious individual I thought it unlikely but on reflection it made a lot of sense. The more I worried about falling, the worse my balance became. Not surprisingly it was always a lot worse when surrounded by people rushing in all directions. Having used the exercises I then put my best foot forward and went for a gentle walk where there were few people with the view 'let's see if I feel in danger of toppling', suddenly the world was a different place. Finding a specialist in any field is never as easy as it should be and I am very thankful I found Mr Kelly.

16th June 2017
Response from Mr Gerard Kelly

Thank you for this great feedback. As well as an ENT surgeon, I have an interest in balance disorders and I have recently bought a system for testing the balance system (a video head impulse computer testing or vHIT). This is a fantastic piece of equipment and I have it for use in the Spire and Nuffield Leeds Hospitals. I had a trail system and when that trial system had to be returned, I felt that I missed it so much that I could not do without it! Although expensive, it was worth the purchase and I feel that I can deal with patients more effectively now than ever before. GK

9th May 2017
Written by a patient at Leeds General Infirmary

I presented at Thorpe Park clinic with chronic ear pain of 8 months duration. I received a thorough assessment on the day. I felt that Mr Kelly listened carefully to my problem and showed empathy and interest. He quickly correctly diagnosed the condition and began treatment the same day. After one follow up treatment my chronic ear pain had subsided to almost no pain. I highly recommend Mr Kelly and feel that I received excellent care.

16th June 2017
Response from Mr Gerard Kelly

Thank you for the kind feedback, I see NHS patients at the Thorpe Park Medical Centre every second Tuesday afternoon. GK

Short link to review Mr Gerard Kelly: http://iwgc.net/e3oa