mr-george-spink

Written by a private patient at Spire Hull and East Riding Hospital
7th June 2021

I can whole heartedly recommend Mr Spink. I had a complex spinal surgery this year after having a condition call Spondilolythesis and I am recovering remarkably well. One of my vertebrae had broken and caused the vertebrae above it to fall onto the one below it trapping my right sciatic nerve which goes the whole of my right leg. I was in terrible, immense pain 24 hours a day. I was in agony and in frequent tears due to the pain I was in (pain relief help only slightly). It was absolute agony for me to drive too which was very restricting. I had two virtual consultations before my surgery due to Covid-19 restrictions, Mr Spink was precise and concerned and arranged an MRI scan. The results of the scan were available within 3 days, Mr Spink advised me of what he found and he talked me through the options available to me. We decide surgery was the best option and an operation date was arranged. The surgery I had was called a Posterior lumbar interbody fusion (PLIF). The day of my surgery dawned, Mr Spink came to see me in my room prior to going to theatre to go through consent forms. . I had the surgery which has been a complete success, I am now completely pain free and with physiotherapy exercises I am getting stronger day by day Iam able to drive again, pain free. Mr Spink has seen me post surgery where I had an x-ray to confirm the screws/cages/pins where still in the correct place and set there. The actual scar from the surgery has healed amazingly well and is neat and tidy. I can't thank Mr Spink enough, I have got my life back and I am forever grateful.

Written by a NHS patient at East Riding Community Hospital
7th June 2021

I have had two consultations with Mr Spink, one by telephone and one face to face (well, mask to mask in these strange times); both were useful, being informative and reassuring. Mr Spink has a welcoming approach which puts you at your ease from the start. He speaks clearly and explains points well, welcoming questions and answering them in detail and in an understandable manner. In putting the options for treatment before you, he gives the pros and cons of each so you can make an informed decision in your own time. Overall, I came away from both consultations better informed, reassured and encouraged as to the future. For the moment, of the options of painkillers as and when necessary, a pain management regime or an operation, I have decided to follow the first option supported by appropriate exercises and physiotherapy. However, if in the long run further treatment in the form of an operation becomes necessary, then Mr Spink would be the man for me.

Written by a NHS patient at Hull Royal Infirmary
2nd June 2021

Mr Spink has been my neurosurgeon for some years and has operated on my cervical spine previously (ACDF), improving pain in various areas of my body. During consultation he fully explains his diagnosis, showing evidence on scans, explains potential improvements from having surgery, explains the risks involved, including clarifying that your pain could be worse afterwards. Mr Spink also gives you ample opportunity to ask questions which he will answer in their entirety. You do not feel rushed at all and are able to weigh up the pros and cons of such intervention and give informed consent to surgery if that is the route you decide upon at this time. This review regards recent extensive lumbar spine surgery, undertaken Hull Royal Infirmary in April 2021. I had a remote consultation with Mr Spink whereby he listened to an explanation of my symptoms, showed me areas of nerve compression, spinal stenosis, and slippage of two vertebrae (Spondylolisthesis) on my MRI scan. He went on to explain that conservative treatments have not been proven to have any effect, what surgeries he would perform, the potential outcomes, risks involved and that I would be operated on quickly to prevent any deterioration. Having been fully informed, I decided to opt for surgery and was operated on within a few days. The next day I was informed that my surgery had been successful and discharged the day after, as I also felt well enough to go home. I was diagnosed with Early Cauda Equina Syndrome. It apparent once at home that most of my symptoms had resolved and some improved. I have had mainly moderate but occasionally severe pain from muscle spasms in my lower back and have not had to rely on additional opioids for pain relief. I wish to thank Mr Spink for his expertise in diagnosing my conditions and swiftly operating to prevent any further deterioration. I would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone needing a neurosurgeon.

Written by a NHS patient at Hull Royal Infirmary
1st June 2021

A very informative doctor, answered all my questions and doubts.

Written by a private patient at Hull Royal Infirmary
1st June 2021

I have been seen by Mr Spink on several occasions over the years and have always found him to be courteous, considerate and professional in every respect.

Mr George Spink was awarded the iWantGreatCare certificate of excellence in 2021 for delivering outstanding care.

Consultant Neurosurgeon specialising in the full range of degenerative and complex spinal disorders. Lead Consultant (Neurosurgery) 2012-14 Lead Consultant (Spinal surgery) 2009-2016 Honorary Senior clinical tutor, Hull York Medical school 2012- Honorary President, Hull York Undergraduate Surgical Society 2012-2019 Website: www.heyneurosurgeon.co.uk Twitter: @heyneurosurgeon

Short link to review Mr George Spink: http://iwgc.net/ee46w