hull-royal-infirmary
1 2 3 4 5 164,583 reviews Write a review

Hull Royal Infirmary

Anlaby Road, Hull, England, HU3 2JZ

24th February 2017

Check In - Excellent electronic check in system avoiding delays. Simple but effective. Natalie Jackson - Practitioner Nurse. I was reviewed by Natalie who quite frankly is a shining example of why our NHS and in particular the staff are the envy of the world. She made me feel welcome, relaxed and immediately gave me confidence that she cared, was very knowledgable and despite the obvious departmental pressures had time for me. She quickly diagnosed my condition (ruptured Achilles) and personally dealt with all issues from a speedy X-ray to an orthopaedic appointment the next day and (due to the waiting time) applied the interim cast herself. Natalie's communication was excellent throughout and I cannot tell you how much (despite the pain and uncertainty) her reassurances and care meant to me. A fantastic lady who made me feel very proud of our NHS and in particular A&E which it seems is forever been criticised. It is clear there are finance issues and a greater demand than supply but all I felt was compassion, cared for and given what time was deemed necessary. Thank you Natalie - you are a star.

Parent Dignity

Suitable Location
13th February 2017

The positives of this experience was it was a big relief that I was able to sleep over on the ward with my 3 week old, premature baby. As a breastfeeding Mum I was sometimes (depending on staff) offered breakfast. Some Nursing staff was friendly and helpful and cleaners and caterers was friendly and helpful. Negatives of this experience was that only two members of staff responded to his apnea alarm souding in the night. Some staff were not always poilite, sometimes being rude and insensitive, which often made you feel belitted. Some staff not supportive in our situation of having a premature baby transferred from NICU to this ward. During a week stay we moved rooms 3 times and in the last room we were placed in with two teenage girls, this situation wasn't ideal for my baby or the teenage girl patients. Staff were not consistent and had conflicting ideas especially in regards to breast/bottle feeding.

Parent Dignity

Suitable Location
13th February 2017

All staff who work on the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit whether they are Nurses, Midwifes, Doctors or Cleaners are extremely friendly and always find time to talk to you and help in anyway they can. We felt comfortable leaving our baby in the Unit because staff were all knowledgable and most importantly very confident in their job roles. All staff were very sensitive, fast acting, informative and supportive, not only in helping our child but in helping us as parents through this tough time and supporting with breastfeeding and parenting skills. The 24 hour visiting allowed us to visit our baby whenever we felt we needed to be with him along with being able to ring the Unit at anytime, this settled our minds when we were at home and woke up in the night, we were able to ring and see how he had been. Staff ratios put our minds at ease, knowing there was always at the very least one member of staff in the room at a time, reassuring us that our baby was in good care and if anything had happened the staff were there to act upon it. We appreciated that we were able to stay in the room for our child during the Doctors rounds every day, this allowed us to see our baby being examined, hear Doctors opinions and allowed us to discuss any concerns. We liked that every day at the same time the babies had 'quiet time'. Communication between all staff and inparticular shift staff handover was excellent. Things to be improved are that sometimes during Doctors rounds when you have to leave the room for them to examine other babies, sometimes the staff nurse would forget to tell you the rounds have finished therefore you've missed time with your baby. The waiting time on the door to get into the Unit, we understand that the Unit is very busy, however sometimes we missed giving our baby his cares, feeding him or mother was late expressing due to this, also when grandparents only have one hour to visit the time was often cut down by not being able to get onto the Unit straight away. The largest negative of the experience which impacted greatly was traferring my baby across to the childrens ward (130), we understood that my baby was the most well out of the babies on the Unit and the Unit needed space, however this was such a negative experience for me as a parent and more so a breastfeeding mum - the positive from this negative was that outreach staff Emily, Claire and Lynn continued to visit us on the childrens ward and support where they were able to.

9th February 2017

The staff was great - they were gentle, kind and extremely comfortable to be around. Any problems I had with keeping my composure before and during the procedure were greatly reduced with small talk, jokes, funny stories and support. The waiting was a bit long, but that is understandable given the season and the nature of the injuries that other people had sustained.

Call bell

Compassion
8th February 2017

Washing hands Giving call bell Replacing soiled dressings Emptying urine bottles