hull-royal-infirmary
1 2 3 4 5 164,674 reviews Write a review

Hull Royal Infirmary

Anlaby Road, Hull, England, HU3 2JZ

7th August 2017

I have a suspected ectopic pregnancy, I was referred by the out of hours gap to come straight to a&e. I then sat for nearly for 4 hours with even seeing a triage nurse. the junior doctor I saw was really nice and caring but the rest of the service was shocking. Seeing people who were drunk being seen before me was very frustrating, the dr even said I should have definitely being higher priority. The system needs rectifying.

Call bell

Compassion
27th July 2017

Daughter of patient reporting. While I'm sure everyone is doing their best the ward is loud, the cleaners bang and crash, the nurses laugh and share personal stories as they are turning a patient. It's very hard to get any kind of rest. Also the food does not seem to align with the sort of anti inflammatory diet you'd want a stroke victim to eat. Lots of sugar offered and dairy which are both inflammatory in the body. Staff were laughing at a patient as he was trying to tell them what he wanted, I know it's hard to understand him but he wasn't making a joke, he was trying his best to be understood. A little more compassion and awareness is required all around. People are having the worst time of their lives, they've lost their dignity and independence, they are being bossed around by young strangers who cackle and heave them about. Unless a family member seeks out medical staff for an update none is given. It's hard to get information regarding care. There should be a more efficient way to communicate with family members, to provide updated information on a daily basis. My father has had the NG tube inserted into his lung and left there for some time before it was discovered, he fell going to the bathroom unaided, the floor around his bed was sticky from vomit. Very upsetting. As a side note - not of great importance - the on-hold music on the phone system is infuriating and outdated.

Call bell

Compassion
24th July 2017

For a neurosurgery department that covers such a large geographic area it does a good job of juggling to get as many people treated as soon possible. Very clean & tidy. The meal menu is varied with generous portion sizes to aid patient recovery. If you require something different the staff always do there best to find an alternative meal for you. Bathroom & toilet facilities could do with being increased and upgraded. There needs to be consideration as to the distance patient's need walk to use the facilities.

20th July 2017

The midwives and student midwives were very helpful and kind especially with respect to teaching me how to breastfeed. Being a first time mother I was anxious about everything and found them very informative. The only area where I feel needs improvement is help for mothers who have had a c-section and are immobile initially. Either we should be allowed to have our partner or a female relative stay with us overnight to help or they need to provide more help. I felt I needed help as my baby did not sleep at all the 2 nights I was in hospital and insisted on being held at all times. Having had a c-section which is major surgery after all I struggled to care for her on my own and was exhausted as I didn't get a moments rest and was not even able to eat my meals till my partner came in the day time and held our baby. When I buzzed for the nurses they came but couldn't get the baby to settle down. And to be fair to them they were short staffed and couldn't be expected to stay with me at all times as they had so many other patients to care for. The second night one of the student midwives took pity on me and held my baby for half an hour around 4.30am so that I could use the toilet, eat my dinner and rest for a bit.

18th July 2017