Dr Kantha Niranjan

Dr Kantha Niranjan is a Consultant for the last 18 years working for Barking,Havering &Redbridge Hospitals NHS Trust looking after acutely ill elderly patients with medical problems.She is also incharge of Stroke Rehabilitaiton unit in Grayscourt Community Hospital,Dagenham.

• Internal (General) Medicine
  • Geriatric medicine

16th January 2017
Written by a carer at Queen's Hospital

My brother spent 18 weeks in Queens Hospital following a devastating stroke. His initial treatment from the hospital varied from poor to shameful. We had to argue and complain at every stage to have him treated with dignity and compassion, leave alone decent clinical care. None of the problems were due to lack of staff or lack of funding and individual staff members appeared caring, but totally disconnected. There appear to be "specialists" for every aspect who failed to either communicate with each other or have any ability to follow up. We felt hopeless and angry every time we visited. However, from the moment that Mick was moved to Sunrise 'B', Dr. Niranjan took responsibility for his care and it was as though he were in a different hospital. Whilst there was hope she and her team tried everything possible to help him, he was a difficult patient but they managed to see past that and treated him with kindness and dignity throughout. They made time to explain his treatment to us and kept us informed. Sadly, all of their efforts could not prevent his eventual death but they made this as comfortable and gentle as possible, While all of the staff of Sunrise 'B' deserve praise and thanks, we believe the example of leadership, science and compassion from Dr. Niranjan is what makes for a great ward in a dreadful hospital.

9th December 2016

I have just had brain surgery with a successful outcome and Dr Niranjan was responsible for the medical follow-up as opposed to the surgical follow-up, which I didn't know I as due one. She was very thorough and ordered a new blood test to ensure that everything was OK. She explained everything to me and was very positive and gave me confidence. I was seen on time and she didn't rush the appointment and gave me as much time as I needed.

23rd November 2016
Written by a carer at King George Hospital

Dr Kantha Niranjan looked after my mother for nearly three weeks on Sunrise B. Our mother was admitted with recurring chest infection and UTI. Slowly mum took a turn for the worse, and started to deteriorate. Mum and was referred to the palliative care team as her body started shutting down. Dr Niranjan was very caring, compassionate and thoughtful to all my family’s needs at this distressing time. She took time each day to speak with us and reassure us. Sadly, my mother passed away a week ago, my family and l would like to express our thanks and gratitude for all that Dr Niranjan did for our mother, keeping her comfortable as possible during her last few weeks of life. Its satisfying to know that some doctors have time for family members during difficult times. Regards Jackie W. Daughter of J G.

23rd November 2016
Response from Dr Kantha Niranjan

Thank you very much for the family members to leave an excellent feed back for the service offered at Sunrise B ward, Queens Hospital.I am very grateful to them for this positive feed back which gives more encouragement and enthusiasm in what we do. This ward gained accreditation for Gold Standard Framework early this year. We aim to provide a patient centered , compassionate care to all the patients under our care, specially when they are in the final stages of their lives.It is a team work and I am very grateful to my excellent ward nurses and doctors who work in this ward, without them we cannot achieved a good service. We always look at to improve our care and we learn lessons from each patient to improve our services. In my personal view, I feel the time should be always allocated to patients to listen to their needs during our ward rounds. We will aim to provide similar service to all our patients. Thank you again.

Nearest Internal (General) medicine specialists