Dr David Austin

• Gastroenterology
  • Internal (General) Medicine

22nd March 2016
Written by a patient at Kent Institute of Medicine & Surgery

A trip to hospital can be very stressful at the best of times so I was not relishing investigations into an on-going gastric problem. However, I need not have worried quite so much because I felt immediately reassured by my initial appointment with Mr David Austin at St Saviours Hospital. He took time to listen to my concerns and to review my symptoms. His manner was most professional but also compassionate – I felt that I mattered. It was decided that a gastroscopy would help to provide a more accurate diagnosis and help to eliminate further anxiety. I opted for the procedure to take place in the new suite of treatment rooms at the William Harvey Hospital. I also chose to be sedated beforehand and can honestly say that I remember nothing about the whole experience apart from the nurse holding my hand at the start and Dr Austin calmly asking how I was feeling at the end. All in all, I felt that I was given the very best of care by this gastroenterologist.

8th March 2016
Written by a carer at Kent Institute of Medicine & Surgery

Dr Austin is such a wonderful doctor. Not only is he incredibly thorough with his approach to diagnosis, his caring manner sets him apart from other physicians. My son has some additional needs and Dr Austin fully appreciated my sons hesitancy with regard to investigations and consultations. A huge thank you to both Dr Austin and to Jayne for being there at the end of the phone.

2nd March 2016
Written by a patient at Kent Institute of Medicine & Surgery

I first approached Dr. Austen concerning care for my daughter. He took a lot of his own time reviewing previous investigations and notes and really took note of my comments. My own health was also discussed. I spent a lot of time talking to Jayne Austen who works closely with Dr. Austen. Although my daughter was too young to be taken on as a patient of Dr. Austen he, and Jayne, gave us a lot of advice and we now have a clear understanding of the way forward. My own health had taken a back seat up until this point but having corresponded with Dr. Austen and Jayne I realise that there are further things that could be done and got some great advice. I hope to be making an appointment with Dr. Austen for myself soon so I shall be able to update my review!

26th March 2015
Written by a patient at St Saviour's Hospital

When I required a colonoscopy 3 year ago, I went privately because the same NHS investigation 8 years earlier left me with severe abdominal pains for 3 hours after the procedure. Fortunately I was referred by my GP to Dr David Austin at St Saviours Hythe Kent and on telling him of my earlier experience said " that will not happen with me". So reassured and impressed with his initial consultation, I chose not to have sedation for the examination, I only had mild discomfort and I feel this was due to his very reassuring and calm manner which helped me relax. Afterwards he spent time explaining his findings in a very unhurried way clearly answering my questions. Recently I required an endoscopy, it was a "no brainer" who I wanted to carry out the procedure. I spoke to his secretary Mrs Austin and she explained all the positives and negatives for choosing the private route in a fair, balanced and professional manner. I did not let on that I had already decided which route I intended to take before I telephoned !! The consultation and examination was carried out in the same unhurried, relaxed and reassuring manner and left me having the highest possible respect and admiration for his skill, knowledge, patient manner and professionalism. My experience has left me feeling that both he and his secretary wife care deeply about their patients and want to give of their best care.

Nearest Gastroenterologists