Mr Jeremy Birch

Mr Jeremy Birch is a Consultant Plastic Surgeon in both the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford and the Great Western Hospital in Swindon. He graduated from Bristol University Medical School in 1993. After completing his general surgical training he took up a post at the University of Leicester under Professor Sir Peter Bell researching advanced microsurgical techniques. Having completed a Doctorate in microsurgery he went on to specialise in plastic surgery. His training was undertaken at Salisbury District Hospital, Stoke Mandeville Hospital, Oxford Radcliffe Hospitals and the Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford. He took up his Consultant Post at the John Radcliffe Hospital in 2008. During this time he has trained alongside some of the country's foremost Plastic surgeons. He has a specialist interest in Breast surgery including reconstruction and breast reshaping. Other areas of specialisation include the diagnosis and treatment of benign and malignant skin lesions, for which he is a member of the Skin Multidisciplinary Teams in both Oxford and Swindon.

• Plastic surgery

9th November 2016
Written by a patient at The John Radcliffe

M J Watson Melanoma left abdomen, wide local excision and sentinel node biopsy. I underwent the above procedure during August 2016, carried out by Mr Jeremy Birch and his team in the Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at the West Wing of the John Radcliffe Hospital. From my initial appointment with Mr Birch it was clear to me that in addition to his very pleasant and professional manner that he ran a 'very tight ship', examples of this being as follows:- Contact with his PA was always clear and very helpful, with promised return telephone call always on time. Receptionists always in excellent communication with the appropriate consultant. Early arrival for an appointment in my case usually meant being seen well ahead of the scheduled time! Post operation appointments were carried out in the same efficient and pleasant manner, what a joy for a patient with 'white coat' syndrome. Throughout my brief stay in the West Wing my experience with those of Mr Birch's medical team that attended me I have nothing but the highest praise. A great team effort and a great team boss!! In conclusion I cannot praise Mr Birch and his team highly enough and would recommend them without hesitation

4th July 2016
Written by a patient at The John Radcliffe

It came as a shock when Mr Birch explained that my "thumb infection" was actually a tumour; the inevitable amputation which followed, and the dissection to remove the armpit lymph-nodes, was expertly carried out. Mr Birch was matter-of-fact yet also reassuring; friendly and personable yet never patronising. He knew what he was aiming for and exactly how to achieve it. There was at all times a really human side to his style. I felt at ease and very comfortable in his care. I have just one constructive suggestion, which has nothing to do with Mr Birch, but concerns my overnight stays in hospital after the two separate operations. Some of the nurses spoke rather limited English, and confusion could have occurred. This is not, I stress, a comment on their commitment or care which were of a high order.

27th December 2015
Written by a carer at The John Radcliffe

Mr Birch and his team have rebuilt me twice following two separate bouts of breast cancer. The first time, I was so frightened and his calm understanding manner helped me through. The second time I was so much more able to deal with the diagnosis thanks to my first experience. I cannot thank Mr Birch and all of his team enough. There is nothing I can complain about. The support all the way through was exemplary, and my husband echoes all my comments, as he was also given support and guidance .

14th December 2015
Written by a patient at The John Radcliffe

I HAD A BREAST REMOVED AFTER BEING DIAGNOSED WITH BREAST CANCER. I HAD RECONSTRUCTION AFTER A COUPLE OF YEARS AND THE CARE I RECEIVED FROM MR BIRCH AND HIS TEAM WAS SECOND TO NONE. MR BIRCH INCLUDED MY HUSBAND IN ALL THE CONSULTATIONS WHICH HELPED HIM TOO. HE SPOKE TO ME BEFORE THE OP AND NEXT MORNING TOO WHICH MADE ME FEEL VERY CARED FOR. A SPECIAL MENTION MUST BE FOR MY BREAST CARE NURSE SARAH, I WAS ALWAYS PHONING AND TEXTING FOR REASURANCE AND SHE DIDNT HESITATE TO GET IN TOUCH.

26th October 2015
Written by a patient at The John Radcliffe

MR Birch is always courteous and his outstanding care and aftercare is out of this world. I have had a complete breast reconstruction which they used skin from my tummy, after being diagnosed with breast cancer. Mr Birch and the team were outstanding at all times. I felt totally reassured of his approach, I found he explains very clearly and straight to the point. He involved my husband all the time and made him feel involved with my treatment. I would like to reassure any patient under Mr Birch they wil be in the best hands at all times. He made me feel like a complete woman again with hardly any visible scars. His outpatient clinic is second to none always on time or even running early.110 % to Mr Birch such a wonderful surgeon

Nearest Plastic surgeons