Miss Katherine Brown

Written by a NHS patient at Luton and Dunstable Hospital
19th July 2021

I was taken to A & E at L&D Hospital in October 2020 and Miss Brown carried out an emergency bowel re-section the day after admission. During assessment Miss Brown took to the time to explain to me the condition presenting (Neuroendocrine tumours in small bowel), the plan of action in surgery, what to expect post-surgery, follow up plan etc., and was caring and compassionate to me throughout. Miss Brown also spoke to my Wife (as I was too upset) and showed her the same care. Miss Brown checked on me the following day (almost certainly after hours) and explained in detail what she had found, what she had done and what my recovery plan was to be. In the proceeding months I have had on two occasions, been concerned as to my symptoms and recovery. Without hesitating, Miss Brown and the fantastic team at L&D made space for me and arranged for me to attend her clinic the following week. Every time I have seen her I have been completely confident in her ability to look after me and set out courses of action that have my very best interests at the forefront. Even as my outlook seems very good (no return of the NET's), Miss Brown (and the fabulous Sue MacIntosh) continues to be there for me, taking my calls, returning my correspondence and so on. Without doubt Miss Brown and Surgical Team at L&D saved me.

Written by a NHS patient at Luton and Dunstable Hospital
15th May 2021

I am still under the care of Miss Brown, as I'm due to have a stoma reversal operation. I have spoken to three different consultants at the hospital and she has been the one who has made me feel more confident about the care I was to receive. More important than her obvious surgical skills, she is a 'good doctor' - meaning that she listens and takes an interest in her patients. I didn't get the impression that she had hurriedly read through my notes 2 seconds before the appointment. Miss Brown treats you like a person not a patient or a number. Even when I felt as rough as hell after my tumour was removed, she reassured me that was normal. There is nothing worse than being told to get out of your hospital bed and get moving when you are sick and exhausted - we all know that this is important but sometimes you need to nap. She has made my cancer journey a lot easier.

Colorectal and General Surgeon at the Luton and Dunstable Hospital