mr-shashank-gurjar

5th May 2021

Great experience overall, the room was nice and spacious, the care give was excellent. Recovery was painful, as expected!. I would have preferred stronger/more effective pain killers. I had questions after the procedure and they were answered in a timely manner. Dr Gurjar is very profesional and makes sure you understand what the options and implications are of your procedure. I would highly recommend him.

Written by a private patient at BMI Bishops Wood Hospital

Good overall experience

11th April 2021

Mr Gurjar is very professional and has helped me with my condition to manage better and with his help and kindness, I can now understand the condition. I would like to say thank you for the help and understanding I would recommend him to anyone with bow issues as he is one of the best surgeons I have ever met.

11th April 2021

A very attentive person, and explained things well. The impression I got was of a Good Egg.

10th April 2021

I was recommended to Mr Gurjar for some issues I was experiencing that were sadly not being dealt with by the consultant I was currently under. Mr Gurjar is very personable and I instantly felt at ease and bearing in mind the subject matter I was very relieved. I had spent months prior to this with many unanswered questions and felt confused and concerned. After my initial meeting I felt so much happier and everything I didn’t understand Mr Gurjar explained clearly. He gave me advice on how to deal with issues I was experiencing in the short term whilst waiting for the surgery he recommended. Prior to this no one had given me any advice or help. Whilst waiting for my surgery Mr Gurjar and his secretary Anne continued to be supportive and answer all the questions I had. At our meeting just before my my surgery date he once again explained everything in detail, drawing diagrams and we had a thorough discussion. Even though I was anxious about the procedure I knew I was in safe hands and I completely trusted him. The procedure went very well and according to plan. The care and support he provided to me during my stay in hospital and also once I had been discharged was nothing short of excellent. I am now 6 weeks post op and I feel amazing. I am so happy with everything. During my whole experience with both Mr Gurjar and Anne I felt nothing was too much trouble. I had felt unwell for so long but I felt he understood and cared. I would highly recommend Mr Gurjar and cannot thank him enough for everything he has done for me.

Mr Shashank Gurjar was awarded the iWantGreatCare certificate of excellence in 2021 for delivering outstanding care.

Mr Shashank Gurjar is a consultant general & colorectal surgeon specialising in laparoscopic (keyhole) & open surgery for bowel cancer (colon & rectum), IBD (Crohn's disease & ulcerative colitis) and surgical treatment of diverticular disease. He offers specialist expertise in laparoscopic groin (inguinal, femoral) and all abdominal wall hernia surgery. He manages all common coloproctology including haemorrhoid surgery (THD and Rafaelo), fistula surgery, pilonidal sinus and anal fissure treatments. He is an accredited endoscopist with expertise in colonoscopy and polypectomy. Mr Gurjar qualified as a doctor from Imperial College London in 1997, and then completed his basic surgical training at King's College. He completed specialist training in colorectal surgery in the South East Thames region and gained the FRCS degree in 2009. He has completed a senior post-CCT fellowship in pelvic floor surgery at John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford which gave him expert training in the management of rectal prolapse and evacuatory disorders. He has an active research interest in clinical surgery and pelvic floor dysfunction and has published various papers in peer-reviewed journals. He is an examiner for the General Medical Council and actively trains young surgeons in laparoscopic keyhole surgery, as well as teaching medical students. Mr Gurjar ensures all his patients have a high quality, evidence-based approach to their care. He holds a substantive NHS consultant post at Luton & Dunstable Hospital, and also holds practising privileges at several independent hospitals in North London and Hertfordshire.