Dr Mark Slade

I am a consultant respiratory physician at Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, based primarily at Cheltenham General Hospital. From July 2008 until December 2014 I practised in general respiratory medicine at Cambridge University Hospitals (Addenbrooke's) and in specialist respiratory medicine at Papworth Hospital. I have a sub-specialty interest in lung cancer and interventional pulmonology, which concerns the use of minimally invasive techniques for the treatment of breathlessness caused by cancer. I studied medicine in London at Guy’s Hospital before completing my training in Oxford, Sydney, Cambridge and Norwich. I worked as a consultant physician at the Oxford University Hospitals from 2000-08 before moving to Papworth to pursue my specialist interests in lung cancer. I was Medical Director at Papworth from January 2013 to December 2014. Education and Training BA, Physics and Theoretical Physics, University of Cambridge 1979 MA 1983 MBBS (Distinction in Medicine) United Medical and Dental Schools of Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospitals, London 1991 MRCP London 1994 FRACP 1998 FRCP 2007 Recent and Important Publications Survival in Patients With Malignant Pleural Effusions Who Developed Pleural Infection: A Retrospective Case Review From Six UK Centers. Bibby AC, Clive AO, Slade GC, Morley AJ, Fallon J, Psallidas I, Pepperell JC, Slade MG, Stanton AE, Rahman NM, Maskell NA. Chest. 2015 Jul 1;148(1):235-41. doi: 10.1378/chest.14-2199. Therapeutic bronchoscopy for malignant central airway obstruction: success rates and impact on dyspnea and quality of life. Ost DE, Ernst A, Grosu HB, Lei X, Diaz-Mendoza J, Slade M, Gildea TR, Machuzak MS, Jimenez CA, Toth J, Kovitz KL, Ray C, Greenhill S, Casal RF, Almeida FA, Wahidi MM, Eapen GA, Feller-Kopman D, Morice RC, Benzaquen S, Tremblay A, Simoff M; AQuIRE Bronchoscopy Registry. Chest. 2015 May;147(5):1282-98. doi: 10.1378/chest.14-1526. Management of pneumothorax and prolonged air leak. Slade M. Semin Respir Crit Care Med. 2014 Dec;35(6):706-14. doi: 10.1055/s-0034-1395502. Epub 2014 Dec 2. Clinical outcomes of indwelling pleural catheter-related pleural infections: an international multicenter study. Fysh ET, Tremblay A, Feller-Kopman D, Mishra EK, Slade M, Garske L, Clive AO, Lamb C, Boshuizen R, Ng BJ, Rosenstengel AW, Yarmus L, Rahman NM, Maskell NA, Lee YC. Chest. 2013 Nov;144(5):1597-602. doi: 10.1378/chest.12-3103 Symptom management in patients with lung cancer: Diagnosis and management of lung cancer, 3rd ed: American College of Chest Physicians evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. Simoff MJ, Lally B, Slade MG, Goldberg WG, Lee P, Michaud GC, Wahidi MM, Chawla M. Chest. 2013 May;143(5 Suppl):e455S-97S. doi: 10.1378/chest.12-2366. Clinical management of older people with non-small cell lung cancer in England. Beckett P, Callister M, Tata LJ, Harrison R, Peake MD, Stanley R, Woolhouse I, Slade M, Hubbard RB. Thorax. 2012 Sep;67(9):836-9. doi: 10.1136/thoraxjnl-2011-200994. Epub 2012 Jul 6. PMID:22771514 Du Rand, I. A., Barber, P. V., Goldring, J., Lewis, R. A., Mandal, S., Munavvar, M., Rintoul, R. C., Shah, P. L., Singh, S., Slade, M. G. and Woolley, A. (2011) British Thoracic Society guideline for advanced diagnostic and therapeutic flexible bronchoscopy in adults. Thorax 66 Suppl 3, p.iii1-21. Oltmanns, U. and Slade, M. (2011) Tracheobronchial stenting. Br J Hosp Med (Lond) 72, p.318-324. Slade, M. G., Rahman, N. M., Stanton, A. E., Curry, L., Slade, G. C., Clelland, C. A. and Gleeson, F. V. (2011) Improving standards in flexible bronchoscopy for lung cancer. Eur Respir J 37, p.895-901. Slade MG, Rahman NM, Stanton AE, Curry L, Slade GC, Clelland CA, Gleeson FV. Improving standards in flexible bronchoscopy for lung cancer. European Respiratory Journal 2010.

• Chest Medicine
  • Internal (General) Medicine

17th February 2018
Written by a carer at Papworth Hospital

No words can express my gratitude towards this man, he cared for my daughter as if she was his own ( his words ). Thanks to this exceptional man she is now thirty years old, married and has a beautiful one year old daughter. On Monday she is due to return to Papworth for a endoscopy and hopefully signed off, so once again thank you doctor xx

4th January 2018
Written by a carer at Cheltenham General Hospital

Dr Slade treated my brother - Jonathan - with such care and compassion that I want to share. Jonathan died this morning, following a year of coping with lung cancer and chronic respiratory complications. He was supported so well by NHS staff throughout that I want to thank you all. Dr Slade especially. Jonathan asked me to convey how deeply thankful he was for his friendship, kindness and utmost integrity.

17th October 2016
Written by a patient at Cheltenham General Hospital

I have recently been under the care of Dr Slade for a recurring plural effusion. He was so patient and really took the time to listen to my concerns and find out why this kept happening and treated me with such compassion and understanding. He explained everything so clearly and how this will be treated and I felt so reassured. I really couldn't have asked for a better doctor, would highly recommend to anyone.

26th August 2016
Written by a patient at Cheltenham General Hospital

Upon my diagnosis of Lung Cancer Dr Slade treated me with complete honesty but was very gentle and patient. He was so reassuring and informative and I couldn't have asked for better care.

15th July 2016
Written by a carer at Gloucestershire Royal Hospital

Sadly, my mum has just been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer in the last week. Whilst we are only just coming to terms with the news, Dr Slade broke the news with compassion and care. Despite being faced with my long list of questions, he did not bawlk responding with patience and empathy making every effort to ensure I was fully informed. He has taken great care to explain complicated medical facts in simple ways. As my mum didn't feel physically well enough to attend a recent appointment, Dr Slade was amenable to having a telephone appointment. I have every confidence in the advice and care provided by Dr Slade.

Short link to review Dr Mark Slade: http://iwgc.net/eblj