Dr David Fox

Dr David Fox is a highly experienced cardiologist/electrophysiologist in Manchester and has been a consultant for over 8 years. He spent a period of his training at one of the worlds premier heart rhythm institutes (University of Western Ontario, Canada) working with pioneering cardiologist Professor George J Klein, the author of over 500 medical publications. Dr Fox specialises in the treatment of all heart rhythm disorders and carries out over 220 ablation procedures annually and has a particular interest in atrial fibrillation ablation (pulmonary vein isolation). He also is fully trained in all aspects of pacemaker/ICD implantation. He is the lead for cardiac rhythm services at Wythenshawe Hospital, Manchester and runs the annual audit program to ensure high levels safety and quality in the atrial fibrillation ablation program.

17th May 2018
Written by a patient at Wythenshawe Hospital

Talking more to the patient during the procedure. I was in quite a lot of pain in my collar bone/neck area during the ablation and after and it took me 20 mins to attract someone’s attention to say it was very painful before I was given pain relief. I did not feel the effects of sedation and can recall all the conversations going on around me. Doctor/procedure was good in the main but the after care once back on the ward in recovery was terrible! I was told I would be having the suction clamp removed off my femoral artery gradually over 1 hour post procedure then I would be allowed to gradually sit up over the next couple of hours. 3 1/2 hours post procedure I was still completely flat on my back, which was painful by then, with the clamp still fully on. 4 hours after the procedure (after me buzzing a nurse) the suction on the clamp was removed at once. I was told by the nurse she would be back in 5 mins to fully remove the clamp but then I was left another 40 mins, still flat on my back 7 hours after the procedure had started that morning. I had to buzz again and another nurse removed the clamp but discovered I had been bleeding for 40 mins from the artery. When the clamp was removed, from my position lying flat, I saw blood shoot up in the air from my leg. The nurse had to pack my leg and press with some force to stop it bleeding. A further 30 mins later I was told I could just get up and get dressed to go home. By this point I was desperate to use the bathroom. I was offered no assistance and went straight from lying completely flat on my back for 8 hours to standing. when I did stand I was very dizzy, felt light headed and sick. I made my own way to the bathroom as I was offered no help and I was literally zig zagging down the corridor from wall to wall because I felt so dizzy, As I walked past the nurses station, one of the nurses said to the other ‘what is up with her?’, the other replied ‘it’s ok she has just got up’. There was no offer of assistance or to check if I was Ok despite the fact I had just been left bleeding in the bed for 40 mins then told to get straight up. Terrible, terrible experience. I was very badly bruised around the incision site on my leg for 7 weeks after the procedure and it was 4 weeks until I could bear to drive but quite a lot more until it was no longer painful driving. I was disgusted with the lack of care I received on the ward after the procedure. It was one of the worst experiences I have ever had! All that being said, I am very grateful to Dr Fox as the procedure has given me my quality of life back again as now I am medication free and without the abnormal rythmns. It is just a shame about everything else I experienced which was absolutely awful!

8th May 2018
Written by a patient at Wythenshawe Hospital

First of all i would like to give a big thankyou to mr Fox and his team for helping me through not one but 2 ablations.I was given the best care and along the way information of what was going to happen on each of my ops.Mr Fox makes you feel very much at ease even though you are aware he is operating on your heart.Everything from start to finish is done with the upmost care in theater and out of it.I cannot express how appreciative i am for being sent to Mr Fox from tameside and am so glad i was.Cant add anything to better the experience as its all done so professionally from checking in to leaving the day after.I know you will keep up to the high standards you work to and hope that everyone who has this op gets the same outcome as me.Thanks again and again

2nd May 2018
Written by a patient at Wythenshawe Hospital

Doctor made me feel comfortable with my discussion. Also didn't feel I was being rushed. Very happy with appointment.

30th April 2018
Written by a patient at Wythenshawe Hospital

Having had a very bad cardiac episode, involving neurmous cardiac arrests, the team at wythenshaw hospital saved my life. Doctor Fox was instrumental, in ensuring had the best care possible, by quickly transferring me from my local hospital to the specialist unit in Manchester. Following a few very scary days, I was eventually given correct medication and an ICD for my condition, and I am back to work and living a very normal life. This is a down to Dr Fox and the incredible team at wythenshaw hospital, if it wasn’t for their attentive care, quick thinking and perseverance I would not be typing this now.

26th April 2018
Written by a patient at Wythenshawe Hospital

Dr Fox...... What a lovely man he is. Naturally I was quite anxious about my ablation but for anyone who has to have this procedure under the care of Dr Fox or a member of his team, rest assured you are in safe hands. Before my procedure he explained exactly what happens during the procedure and made me feel at ease. I was cared for, before, during and after the ablation by fantastic staff. I feel extremely lucky to have been cared by such a professional consultant,(Dr Fox), and also the rest of the team in the lab and on the ward. Thank you so much , Dr Fox, I think you are an amazing man By Susan Gilbert

3rd May 2018
Response from Dr David Fox

We are lucky to have such a good team which allows us to deliver the best care that we can. Thank you for such kind comments, I will pass them on to our staff.

Nearest Cardiologists