Dr Alan Hakim

London-based Consultant Rheumatologist, practicing at The Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth, London, in all areas of Rheumatology, with a subspecialty expertise in Heritable Disorders of Connective Tissue / Hypermobility Syndromes.

• Internal (General) Medicine
  • Rheumatology

24th January 2018
Written by a patient at Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth

I have seen Dr Hakim twice now. I have seen several doctors in the past and been dismissed as attention seeking. I saw him first in Dec 2012 as a result of a 25year search for answers. He was the first doctor who actually listened to me. He was very gentle examining my joints and asked me lots of questions. He was able to link together a list of seemingly unrelated things as all part of my hEDS. The report helped with adjustments at work and enabled me to keep working longer. I cried with relief all the way home. I saw him again last week (Jan18). He was as lovely as I remember. Again he listened without judgement and wrote a letter for my GP. His recommendations are invaluable. I have spent the intervening years sharing my positive experience and recommending him as much as I can to those looking for help. I cannot recommend him enough. I'm just so glad I found him. It makes such a difference knowing there is someone on your side, fighting in your corner.

22nd January 2018
Written by a patient at Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth

For me, it was almost an emotional experience to be diagnosed with hEDS and finally validated after 46 years of trying to get my symptoms taken seriously by GPs and other specialists. The whole process of diagnosis with Dr Hakim was like nothing I'd experienced before. He'd obviously read my medical history He asked questions and then he actively listened to the answers He was thorough in terms of my physical examination He was clear about my diagnosis and the limited options available to me He was compassionate, sensitive, professional and treated me with dignity and respect throughout the consultation He told me not to hesitate to contact him at any time if I had any queries, I did email him on two separate occasions and he responded the following day both times He said I'd have a copy of my outpatient letter within 2 weeks and I did My outpatient letter was concise but also comprehensive I now know what I'm actually up against and I can finally see a way forward. Although Dr Hakim confirmed hEDS, he did it in such a way that it actually left me feeling positive. There were no negative elements to the consultation and I cannot recommend him highly enough

21st January 2018
Written by a patient at Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth

There are so many reasons why I have given Dr Alan Hakim a 5 star review and I don't want to launch into an essay about why, so hopefully these bullet points will help: - he had clearly read all the information (and there was lots) that I had sent prior to our appointment - responded quickly to every email exchange - treated me like a grown up with valid opinions. We didn't have any differing opinions but I get the distinct impression that if mine did differ to his he would still have treated me with respect - highly knowledgeable about his subject areas - able to make good suggestions as to appropriate treatment plans but understood that I am the decision maker - listened to my opinion and accepted my experience; didn't try to dictate what my experience was and tell me that I was wrong - was friendly and sympathetic AND completely professional - was able to give me a diagnosis that made sense - I left the appointment with dignity and hope and a clear view of what happens next In all honesty, I don't have any improvement suggestions for Dr Hakim, but I can think of quite a few other doctors and consultants that could learn from his approach.

4th December 2017
Written by a patient at Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth

After years of being ping-ponged around different doctors, some of whom thought my problems were all in my head, I found a Dr who truly listened and looked at me holistically. Dr Hakim was incredibly thorough in his investigations of my illnesses and really listened and showed empathy. The report Dr Hakim made after our consultation has been like a golden key; when my GP and local consultant read his report it was like they really took me seriously! Subsequently - and I feel very much owing to Dr Hakim's comprehensive report - I have had a diagnosis. I am so, so grateful.

28th November 2017
Written by a patient at Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth

I've now seen Dr Alan Hakim and it's been amazing both times. He knows his area, and he is totally supportive of working to help you the patient, get solutions that best meet your need within the possibilities open. I saw him privately both times - and the difference his expertise and knowledge has made to my family is huge. I'd love to give bonus stars. Well worth the faff of childcare (easier without our 2 going) and travel for us to London for all visits. I recommend him unreservedly and wholeheartedly.

Nearest Rheumatologists