Dr Alan Hakim

London-based Consultant Rheumatologist, practicing at The Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth, and Holly House Hospital, in all areas of Rheumatology, with a subspecialty expertise in Heritable Disorders of Connective Tissue / Hypermobility Syndromes.

• Internal (General) Medicine
  • Rheumatology

23rd February 2017
Written by a patient at Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth

I saw Dr Hakim a couple of weeks ago as a private self-referring patient after having been in 'medical limbo' for a long time. The process for booking an appointment was straightforward. On the day we discussed about about my previous medical history in details. I felt listened to and found it easy to talk to Dr Hakim. The consultation included a thorough physical examination of my joints and skin signs. Dr Hakim was able to give me a positive diagnosis of hEDS for my symptoms on the day and explain about the follow up plan to be sent to me and my GP in a report which I have found to be excellent. I was very pleased with the appointment and have no hesitation in recommending Dr Hakim to other people for his expertise in Hypermobilty syndromes and connective tissue disorders. Thank you Dr Hakim patients desperately need more doctors like you.

16th January 2017
Written by a patient at Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth

My Daughter and I both attended for Consultation. We have a number of conditions and the care we have received over the years has been of varying quality. Some has been outrageously poor . Latterly in my career I worked in Advocacy so I can thoroughly appreciate Dr. Hakim's communication skills and candid yet tactful approach. My Daughter has been treated dismissively sometimes as she is only 25 and probably looks reasonably well at first glance. She finds it very hard to speak about her difficulties and it is very easy for a Doctor to lose her trust or offend her. She came away saying what a 'good guy' Dr. Hakim is. We are still relatively inexperienced in our dealings with Dr. Hakim and we are both cautious by nature. In the past Consultants have promised us the earth and then rapidly distanced themselves when they realised there was not going to be an immediate effortless recovery. I do not believe Dr. Hakim will be one of these. He was spoken of very highly by another very respected Consultant whose opinion we value. Travelling to London was very difficult for us but totally worth it. In the area where I live many local Consultants with far less compelling qualifications are charging the same fees whilst being far less diligent. He certainly validated my Daughter, which is important to me as a Mum. My own matters are more complex as for me in many areas the 'damage has been done' but by listening, caring and taking a realistic approach I believe Dr. Hakim has already helped me to move on as I was seriously wondering how much longer I could cope for. Not many Doctors could have helped in this way at any price. Next step is to persuade my Son to attend!

30th December 2016
Written by a patient at Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth

I cannot recommend Dr Hakim highly enough. I was encouraged to see him by seeing the positive reviews on this site and through learning of his standing in the EDS/hypermobility world. He lived up to every expectation. He has quite simply transformed the medical care I am receiving. Dr Hakim joined all the dots together and gave me a diagnosis, making sense of my complex medical history. He has made a number of recommendations for referals for my GP to arrange back into the NHS, and has helped co-ordinate things subsequently, too. Dr Hakim is accessible for any follow-up advice which is incredibly reassuring. I am on his recommendation also undertaking physiotherapy at the StJ&StE.

19th December 2016
Written by a carer at Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth

After an hours consultation we came away understanding our sons condition . Dr Hakim was very professional and understanding towards our son and as he examined him we could see that a weight was being lifted from his shoulders and a smile was developing. I would recommend a visit to see Dr. Hakim as he put us at ease over what had been and what to expect in the future regarding the condition.. Dr. Hakim your a legend...

6th November 2016
Written by a patient at Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth

After many years of seeing many Consultants and doctors for varied and complex chronic conditions, I was referred to Dr Alan Hakim at the Hospital of St John & St Elizabeth. Dr Hakim took time to listen, asked questions and look at my symptoms holistically with empathy, patience and understanding. I would highly recommend Dr Hakim and would have no hesitation of seeking his advice and guidance again should it be required.

Nearest Rheumatologists