Dr Alan Hakim

London-based Consultant Rheumatologist, practicing at The Wellington Hospital, London, in all areas of Rheumatology, with a subspecialty expertise in Heritable Disorders of Connective Tissue / Hypermobility Syndromes. Associate Professor in Medicine, College of Medicine, PennState University USA Director of Education, The Ehlers-Danlos Society

• Internal (General) Medicine
  • Rheumatology

6th December 2018
Written by a patient at The Wellington Hospital

I visited Dr Hakim recently after over twenty years of symptoms and numerous appointments with other doctors who had dismissed my symptoms as anxiety or hypochondria. I had finally been given what I suspected was still an incorrect diagnosis by an NHS rheumatologist and wanted a second opinion. Dr Hakim was brilliant. He had studied my medical history before I saw him and had a list of questions ready. He was gentle with his examination and noticed things that I hadn’t even realised myself. He diagnosed me with hEDS which has already drastically improved how my GP and other consultants treat me. He made numerous recommendations and I finally have some hope for a better future and a possible improvement in my health. Most importantly, Dr Hakim listened to me and he believed me. I can’t adequately express just how grateful I am for that and how much it meant to me.

20th November 2018
Written by a carer at The Wellington Hospital

After reading the amazing and awe inspiring reviews of Dr Hakim, we decided that my daughter needed to see Dr Hakim to rule EDS in or out. This was after the last twelve years of trying to make some of my daughters symptoms fit into her Auto immune diagnosis box! My daughter was given an examination, listened intently to and bingo we had the missing piece of the jigsaw, diagnosis of Hypermobile EDS. She now knows what is causing the pain and so many other problems, and now has a clear path to get herself into a better place and be the best she can be. All of this was done with a wonderful personable approach, it is there that the trust begins for this amazing Dr, he offered support and guidance, but most of all he gave positivity and hope. He has offered direct support and contact with Occupational health Dr within her place of work. This may be a small thing to him, but has given her a huge boost that she has someone who can speak with great knowledge on her diagnosis and that she is not alone with something that so many others have dismissed, and could without this input, have led to her losing the job she loves. As parents we can’t thank him enough, and would without hesitation recommend him –thank you so much!

18th November 2018
Written by a patient at The Wellington Hospital

Dr hakim, underestimates how awesome he is, he's a truly passionate, caring empathic Doctor. Who truly understands what duty of care and patient consideration is. Dr Hakim has seen me for an on going condition in relation to ehlers danlos. I have seen him over a period of years. He is a breath of fresh air, as his nature is so rare you will only find it in 1% Of doctors. Friendly, understanding and will always put his patients first Above anything else. If there is one 'angel' you want to help you and treat you Through your ehlers danlos journey it's him He has helped me at very short notice, within urgent situations, and dislocations Even co-coordinating with Private physios with advice to help me, when I lost feeling in my leg due multiple joint Issues, to help realign the joints. As my local a and e were too busy with a 12 hour wait. Dr Hakim you should be proud of your achievements because you have not just Saved me from multiple misdiagnosis but many others aswell. There are many people's Lives you have changed in a positive way, you truly are a miracle within The ehlers danlos community I'm proud to call you my rheumatologist. Thank you for your help. As always

8th November 2018
Written by a patient at The Wellington Hospital

I flew from Ireland to see Dr Hakim yesterday and it was worth every second. I have been dismissed my whole life when visiting my Local drs, so going to see Dr Hakim I felt some trepidation and I couldn’t have been more wrong. Dr Hakim is a kind, caring man. He encompasses everything a Dr should be. He may not realise but he has given me the validation I needed my whole life and I will forever be grateful that someone like he exists. He changed a previous diagnosis to the one I knew I had, Hypermobile Ehlers-Danlos. I was given a full exam and he pointed out joints I didn’t even realise were unstable. He is going to give my PT pointers on how to ensure I strengthen what I need to and will liase with my GP about medication. Most important of all Dr Hakim really listened to me. I could not recommend him or thank him enough.

15th August 2018
Written by a patient at The Wellington Hospital

It was an absolute pleasure to visit Dr Hakim for his consideration of my health issues. He was extremely engaged, knowledgeable and supportive. Everything was clearly explained, nothing was rushed and I came away with the all important diagnosis of the Ehlers Danlos/hypermobility that I was expecting. Dr Hakim went a step further and actually corrected an earlier Fibromyalgia diagnosis from another clinic......he had no hesitation in removing this diagnosis which I had already been unsure of, along with my Physiotherapist’s steer. Dr Hakim had read my health file that I forwarded to him on his request, in advance of my appointment......this allowed for the most efficient use of the appointment time. I have no hesitation in recommending Dr Hakim.

Nearest Internal (General) medicine specialists