Dr Alan Hakim

London-based Consultant Rheumatologist, practicing at The Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth, and Holly House Hospital, in all areas of Rheumatology, with a subspecialty expertise in Heritable Disorders of Connective Tissue / Hypermobility Syndromes.

• Internal (General) Medicine
  • Rheumatology

6th November 2016
Written by a patient at Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth

After many years of seeing many Consultants and doctors for varied and complex chronic conditions, I was referred to Dr Alan Hakim at the Hospital of St John & St Elizabeth. Dr Hakim took time to listen, asked questions and look at my symptoms holistically with empathy, patience and understanding. I would highly recommend Dr Hakim and would have no hesitation of seeking his advice and guidance again should it be required.

4th November 2016
Written by a patient at Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth

Dr Hakim was polite, friendly, compassionate and gentle. I felt comfortable speaking about my symptoms and how they affect me. He listened to me and gave clear advice on what I can do to improve my symptoms.

2nd November 2016
Written by a patient at Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth

I saw Dr Hakim today, i had much conflict with previous consultants regarding my knees i knew through research, and other people help i was told to go and see Dr Hakim for answers. I must admit before i saw Dr Hakim i lost all trust and faith in doctors that knew little about Hypermobility/EDS... A Physican once wrote "Listen to your patient they are telling you the diagnosis." He certainly did that He was a rather funny amusing humble chap, was amused by what sport i did, he explained everything to me, he helped my with a holistic approach, as that is my belief, he was listening all the way throughout, which helped me to express myself in such a way that a diagnosis could be made. He checked every joint, and everything else. i finally have a sense of closure and moving forwards, we now have a plan in place which I'm happy with. All my questions i got answered that previous doctors could not. Sometimes they say in times of hardship Life isnt about waiting for the storm to pass, but it's about learning to dance in the rain." I now can walk forwards knowing my diagnosis and know that im under good care, of an emphatic doctor, who clearly understands hypermobility, is supportive and caring and is honest in his approach. I finally feel trust again, and have hope and faith............

28th October 2016
Written by a patient at Holly House Hospital

An extremely kind, helpful, modest and friendly Consultant. I first met Dr Hakim when I was with my daughter, whom he diagnosed with an inherited syndrome which he strongly indicated, to my surprise, must have been passed down to her by me. He came to this conclusion after carefully listening and asking relevant questions. I then made an appointment with him to discuss in depth the surprising idea that I too have the syndrome. He again listened patiently to my own detailed history and at long last, after more than 60 years, I now understand what has caused so many of my health complications. He even suspects that my father was the one I inherited it from, as it explains many of his seemingly random health problems during his lifetime. Because Dr Hakim is interested and listened, I now have an official diagnosis and can access expert help. Having had treatment at a variety of different hospitals all my life, I can honestly say that Dr Hakim is one of the kindest and most approachable specialists I have ever come across, he can't seem to do enough to help and that is because he truly cares!

25th October 2016
Written by a carer at Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth

Was relieving to finally get a diagnosis after years of suffering. But apart from that am no better of from appointment. Couldn't afford private physio or upright scan that was suggested and no alternative was offered on the nhs. If you are desperate for a diagnosis then it is worth seeing Dr Hakim but apart from diagnosis I am no better of .

28th October 2016
Response from Dr Alan Hakim

I have a number of patients who are not able to afford private treatments or investigations. I always work closely with their GP and any specialists to get as much done as possible through the NHS. I remain in contact with patients following the initial assessment with the aim of assisting them through similar issues to those raised in the review. I accept that sometimes it is not possible to get the treatment locally (because of lack of local expertise). I and many of my colleagues in the field continue to raise awareness among clinicians, commissioners, and politicians about these concerns. While I fully understand any frustrations a person may have, I am not in control of the system. The feedback here should primarily be about me and not about issues in the NHS that I have no control over. As such I am disappointed that with regards to 'Trust' and 'Listening' at least the reviewer has given me the score they have, as I endeavour to do all that is within my control to help my patients. Many will come seeking a diagnosis and support. Many have a diagnosis and are seeking further advice. It is very rarely the case that I cannot help at least in some way, and if I cannot help I am completely honest about that. Also, despite our treatments some people do not get better. We recognize and understand that. It is a fact in many areas of medicine. I am not aware of who the reviewer is and would encourage them to contact me if they are struggling to move their care forward.

Nearest Rheumatologists