Dr Alan Hakim

London-based Consultant Rheumatologist, practicing at The Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth, London, in all areas of Rheumatology, with a subspecialty expertise in Heritable Disorders of Connective Tissue / Hypermobility Syndromes.

• Internal (General) Medicine
  • Rheumatology

19th April 2018
Written by a patient at Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth

I saw Dr Hakim at the St John and St Elizabeth hospital, London. What an amazing Doctor! He was so calm and caring, explained things clearly and was reassuring. More was done in the hour appointment than any other DR has managed to do in the last two years! Thank you so much!

10th April 2018
Written by a patient at Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth

I had high hopes for this appointment and I was not disappointed. I’ve seen so many consultants over the years, but never have I had such an amazing appointment. It was relaxed, thorough, informative and all my questions were answered. If all medical personnel had the same bedside manner there’d be rave reviews for them all. Unfortunately, that’s not the case which only allows me therefore to extol the virtues of this one! Dr Hakim - thank you: you exceeded expectation.

23rd March 2018
Written by a carer at Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth

I contacted Dr. Hakim two years into my daughter's diagnosis with EDS, MCAS and POTS due to many frustrations. An appointment was offered in good time and I sent via email all relevant documentation which Dr. Hakim had obviously read before the appointment so that no time was wasted in the appointment going over history. At the end of a most professional but compassionate meeting he had resolved many issues that my daughter had been subjected to through no fault of her own. He took control and thoroughly addressed each and every one of the major issues one by one. I left the meeting feeling so grateful that going forward my daughter will have better direction in being able to deal with this condition under his guidance. Having seen many specialists over the past three years, Dr. Hakim's responses to our predicament have exceeded any gone before. Emails have been answered immediately - I even received a response sent four minutes after I had messaged at 21.57 hours. Exceptional care.

24th January 2018
Written by a patient at Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth

I have seen Dr Hakim twice now. I have seen several doctors in the past and been dismissed as attention seeking. I saw him first in Dec 2012 as a result of a 25year search for answers. He was the first doctor who actually listened to me. He was very gentle examining my joints and asked me lots of questions. He was able to link together a list of seemingly unrelated things as all part of my hEDS. The report helped with adjustments at work and enabled me to keep working longer. I cried with relief all the way home. I saw him again last week (Jan18). He was as lovely as I remember. Again he listened without judgement and wrote a letter for my GP. His recommendations are invaluable. I have spent the intervening years sharing my positive experience and recommending him as much as I can to those looking for help. I cannot recommend him enough. I'm just so glad I found him. It makes such a difference knowing there is someone on your side, fighting in your corner.

22nd January 2018
Written by a patient at Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth

For me, it was almost an emotional experience to be diagnosed with hEDS and finally validated after 46 years of trying to get my symptoms taken seriously by GPs and other specialists. The whole process of diagnosis with Dr Hakim was like nothing I'd experienced before. He'd obviously read my medical history He asked questions and then he actively listened to the answers He was thorough in terms of my physical examination He was clear about my diagnosis and the limited options available to me He was compassionate, sensitive, professional and treated me with dignity and respect throughout the consultation He told me not to hesitate to contact him at any time if I had any queries, I did email him on two separate occasions and he responded the following day both times He said I'd have a copy of my outpatient letter within 2 weeks and I did My outpatient letter was concise but also comprehensive I now know what I'm actually up against and I can finally see a way forward. Although Dr Hakim confirmed hEDS, he did it in such a way that it actually left me feeling positive. There were no negative elements to the consultation and I cannot recommend him highly enough

Nearest Internal (General) medicine specialists