Dr Alan Hakim

London-based Consultant Rheumatologist, practicing at The Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth, London, in all areas of Rheumatology, with a subspecialty expertise in Heritable Disorders of Connective Tissue / Hypermobility Syndromes.

• Internal (General) Medicine
  • Rheumatology

29th July 2017
Written by a patient at Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth

Dr Alan Hakim diagnosed me with Hypermobility Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (hEDS). He is, without doubt, the kindest, most compassionate consultant I have ever met. His knowledge of this condition is unsurpassed and he works hard with charities in a medical advisory capacity in the uk and internationally. He has also written many publications about inherited tissue disorders such as my condition. When I initially got the diagnosis a few years ago everything finally made sense regarding my medical history from childhood to adulthood. I cannot recommend this consultant highly enough and I am so fortunate to have consulted with him. Thank you Dr Hakim.

19th July 2017
Written by a patient at Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth

Many patients with hypermobility/ EDS issues will understand how frustrated they are with consultants due to lack of knowledge trust etc , then you meet Dr Hakim. A true man of his word, and what you actually call a doctor! No matter what appointment i have had with him 30 minutes or one hour, he will always do his best to make sure you leave with the best knowledge or help available. I have never left his appointments without the help i need or follow up be it 30 mins or 1 hour.. Dr Hakim, is a truly an outstanding credit to his profession. A great Dr who really listens, friendly and who you can trust, and truly cares for his patients needs! =) I cannot fault him at all =)

10th July 2017
Written by a patient at Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth

Dr Hakim was personally recommended to me having been described as 'unlike any other Dr you will have seen before'. Yes this was a private consultation, however, Dr Hakim has a unique approach in that he listens to his patient and considers there is an over reliance on negative blood test results meaning symptoms often go over looked as a result. Having spent many years telling doctors about joint pain, loose and partially dislocating joints etc and being made to feel like a hyperchondriac, Dr Hakim was able to correctly diagnose me, the impact of which cannot be under estimated. There is now a clearer way forward and credibility in relation to those symptoms that I had been reporting for many years. Dr Hakim is kind as well as a leading figure in hypermobility, EDS and a range of other rheumatological and heritable disorders. I cannot rate him highly enough and do not hesitate in offering my recommendation.

12th May 2017
Written by a patient at Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth

Dr Hakim is the BEST Doctor I have ever seen. He goes above & beyond the call of duty to go out of his way to help. He listens is kind & thorough & he really cares about his patients. I am so lucky to have found him. 5 star treatment!!!

8th May 2017
Written by a carer at Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth

My daughter of 18 years has hypermobility of joints and suffers from recurrent shoulder subluxation and other associated conditions. During my research for reliable diagnosis and help, I came to know about Dr Alan Hakim - a top-notch rheumatologist and one of the world's foremost experts on EDS - and I decided to approach him for his assessment and advice. And I can unhesitatingly say that that was the best thing I did. We engaged in tele-consultaltion with Dr Hakim and based on our experience, I can only wish that there were more doctors like him. Dr Hakim is not only totally patient-centric, but he is very knowledgeable, responsive, meticulous, and humble. He gives all the time a consultation requires, listens patiently and attentively, and demonstrates a great sense of empathy that is rarely seen. Prior to and as a follow-up to our tele-consultation, I sent Dr Hakim several emails, and each time, much to my delight, I received his reply within 24 hours. Not only that, he even took interest and time to speak at length with my daughter's physiotherapist, which only shows how he lives his "patient-first" philosophy in practice. Dr Hakim is a fantastic human being and a doctor par excellence. He is very easy to approach and interact with. He answers all questions with a smile and makes the patient feel very comfortable. Needless to say, he is a thorough professional. He has become more than a doctor to us - a friend indeed. May his expertise help and heal all those in need!

Nearest Rheumatologists