dr-alan-hakim

26th November 2020

For decades, I have lived with a number of increasing musculoskeletal problems plus a raft of other conditions, and although I had asked the question a number of times, no explanation was ever given as to what was going on. However, at the end of last year upon the discovery of aortic aneurysms (large enough to require major surgeries) my GP told me that after speaking with a local rheumatologist, that I had probably either Marfan Syndrome or one of the Ehlers-Danlos Syndromes (both connective tissue disorders). Clearly, I wanted to understand better, so looked into what these conditions were and realised that they were genetically inheritable. That was a turning point for me, as I have both a daughter and grandson who could be at risk, and if the aneurysms were linked, I needed to know for certain, to keep them as safe as possible. Unfortunately, and as I found out is all too common, in-depth knowledge, or much knowledge at all, is severely lacking within the general medical community. Even within Rheumatology as was apparent with the NHS consultant, as he said that there was no point in wasting my time going to see him as neither condition was curable and there was ‘nothing that could be done’. Which I’ve since learnt is not the case at all. There is a great deal that can be done to mitigate the symptoms and improve quality of life, let alone be potentially life-saving in the case of someone being at risk of developing aortic aneurysms. And this is where Dr Hakim comes in. I had heard about him from others who had been diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, and who like me, had gone for years without an explanation for all of their many symptoms. And like me, had experienced enormous difficulty in finding anyone knowledgeable about this condition and could find no explanation, often being treated with a dismissive manner by the various medical professionals I had seen throughout my life. The net result of that meant that I stopped raising any new or worsening issues with my GP and just had to accept that I had a wonky body, put up with the pain and that was that. A number of people I ended up meeting through EDS UK Support group (patients and parents of adult children) couldn’t sing Dr Hakim’s praises high enough, so decided that I would request a referral to him from my GP. It was the best thing I ever did. Not only did I get a formal diagnosis of Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, which explains so much but also has helped in being able to confirm to my surgeons the presence of a connective tissue disorder. This in turn has informed them as to how best to proceed in dealing with these aneurysms which will therefore minimise future problems. I can thoroughly recommend Dr Hakim to anyone, who like me, has gone around the houses so many times without ever getting any answers. He has been able to finally give me answers no-one else ever has. He has a deep, genuine concern for his patients and that they get the best care possible. Plus he listens, really listens and will go that extra mile so you can get the help you need.

24th November 2020

I have had my condition my entire life, it is hereditary and came from my mum who suffers as I do. It is a chronic pain condition which also has the effect of fatigue and I have spend hours and hours in various Dr's and specialists offices with no diagnosis or proper care plan. Dr Hakim spent about an hour and a half with me and changed my life for the better. I have a detailed care plan and medication that treats my condition such that my pain is more reduced than it has ever been. But more importantly I felt listened to. Dr Hakim asked the right questions and listened to my answers, seems so basic but that is what hasn't been happening with a strained NHS, where Dr's can't talk to you for more than 7 minutes. I convinced my mum that she aught to see the Dr and it has changed her life similarly, she has better control of her condition, better medication and a diagnosis she never had before.

12th November 2020

Dr.Hakim is one of the best doctors i have ever seen, after a life long struggle with a condition that i had no diagnosis for, Dr.Hakim was able to give a diagnosis, which fit the puzzle together. He is extremely kind mannered and professional, and took great care to assist us. An amazing doctor.

8th October 2020

Dr Alan Hakim, was the Kindest most reassuring Dr I have met. Not only had he clearly read through all my medical history and notes, but he clearly has extensive knowledge of the condition I have. Where I didn't understand why things were happening to me, he made everything plain and easy for me to understand without medical jargon. It was a long way for me to go to the appointment, however it was no doubt the right choice. Dr Hakim, was incredibly thorough and was meticulous with his detail into my examination. Ehlers danlos is a rare condition but despite this, Dr Hakim knew the ins and outs of this syndrome and made me realise that I do have the Condition and am not just imagining it! He listened to all my concerns and explained WHY things were happening. He has an excellent bedside manner and is a calm, reassuring and highly knowledgeable Dr. I feel blessed to have been treated by him and hope that he continues to help many others like myself who's GPs and hospital Dr's have previously dismissed. I have previously been fobbed off, passed around and even accused of taking drugs by previous Dr's. I had gotten to the point where I wondered why I bothered asking for help. But I never gave up and am eternally grateful to this man. Thankyou Dr Hakim

Written by a carer at The Wellington Hospital
17th July 2020

Myself and my adult children are patients of Dr.Hakim. Recently both my Son and Daughter needed a follow up tele health consultation. Dr. Hakim never fails . His listening skills and his intelligent use of questions sets him apart. He embodies what every Doctor should be. In cases where local Doctors have maybe been on the wrong track he is excellent at suggesting an alternative opinion. I know he really turned my care around. His Personal Assistant is helpful and pleasant. Dr.Hakim embodies what every medic. should be. He is the most trusted Professional for all my family.

• Internal (General) Medicine
  • Rheumatology

London-based Consultant Rheumatologist, practicing at The Wellington Hospital, London, in all areas of Rheumatology, with a subspecialty expertise in Heritable Disorders of Connective Tissue / Hypermobility Syndromes. Associate Professor in Medicine, College of Medicine, PennState University USA Director of Education, The Ehlers-Danlos Society

Nearest Internal (General) medicine specialists