Mr John Loy

I am a Consultant Upper GI and Bariatric Surgeon based at the Shrewsbury and Telford NHS Trust and Nuffield Health Hospital Shrewsbury. Passionate about high quality, patient centred care using minimal access techniques where possible.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

19th October 2016
Written by a patient at Nuffield Shropshire Hospital

I had my gall bladder removed in August 2016. As a self confessed medical phobic the last think you want to be told is that you need to have an operation. Mr Loy put me at ease straight away. He explained why I needed the procedure, what it would mean if I chose not to have it done and what it would mean to live without a gall bladder. By the time I left his consulting room at the end of my first appointment I had complete trust in Mr Loy. On the day of my operation Mr Loy came to see me shortly after I had arrived and explained again what was going to happen. He gave me chance to ask any questions that I had and once again assured me that I would be fine - he would look after me! He came to see me after the operation and reassured me that everything had gone to plan and he visited again the next morning ready for my discharge. I had a follow up appointment with Mr Loy 4 weeks post operative where he again told me everything had gone to plan and that the results showed what he thought they would, so no further treatment was needed. Each time I saw Mr Loy he displayed a very cheery, calm and sensitive attitude towards both myself and my husband. It was obvious to me that the nursing staff hold Mr Loy in great regard too. I left hospital feeling quite proud of myself for how I had coped with what for me was a frightening experience. But as I look back now it wasn't so frightening after all, and I know that a large part of that was down to how I was looked after and cared for by Mr Loy. Thank you Mr Loy!

5th October 2016
Written by a patient at Royal Shrewsbury Hospital

Mr Loy has conducted a small number of procedures on me in the last 12 months. In December 2015 he removed a failed gastric band (not fitted by Mr Loy) & inserted a gastric balloon. In June 2016 he removed the balloon. Then in August 2016 he carried out a laparoscopic gastric bypass on me & repaired an umbilical hernia (an unplanned part of the procedure - the hernia was noticed by Mr Loy during the gastric bypass operation & dealt with as it was inflamed & it was extremely likely to have caused serious complications if left untreated). From my first meeting with Mr Loy I knew that I couldn't have wished for a better surgeon. He is warm hearted, friendly & understanding. His knowledge is extensive & his encouragement and belief in me was more than I could have asked for. On my day of surgery (each time) he came to see me, explained to me what his job on the operating table would be, the likely outcome & what I could expect in the immediate future. He did this in a very informative & reassuring way, putting me very much at ease. All 4 procedures have gone perfectly. 2 of the procedures required small incisions. The hernia repair required a slightly larger incision. These were extremely neat & healed very nicely. Mr Loy came to see me after my procedures & discussed with me how everything had gone during the surgery and lifted my spirits. The affection for Mr Loy from the other staff on the ward was a fitting tribute to the character of the man. Mr Loy's "bedside manner" is impeccable. I had 100% confidence in everything that he did (and was right to do so). I also got the distinct impression that he was rooting for me in my weight loss journey just as much as I was! I would recommend Mr Loy to anybody & without hesitation. He has done everything possible to aid me in my weight loss journey & is continuing to support me along the way.

15th September 2016
Written by a patient at Nuffield Shropshire Hospital

I recently had my gall bladder removed by Mr Loy. I was reassured by him from the moment I met him and was very pleased I had chosen him as my surgeon. He has a warmth, humour and professionalism that made me very confident about going into surgery. My questions were answered clearly and at no time did I feel that he thought any of my queries were not valid. To be seen by him after the operation before being discharged and then again 4 weeks later added to my confidence in all that had been carried out. I highly recommend him as a surgeon.

10th August 2016
Written by a patient at Royal Shrewsbury Hospital

I suffered with oesophagitis for 24 years, and Mr Loy operated on my stomach and has changed my life around. I am now off all of my tablets and can eat foods that was a no go before. I couldn't be more greateful to him

26th July 2016
Written by a patient at Royal Shrewsbury Hospital

I first met Mr Loy last August and from first consultation to my surgery date 2 weeks ago he has been amazing. His patient centred approach, genuine bed side manor and his professionalism is of the highest quality. I have never felt more comfortable with any doctor and would recommend his service to anyone. He has an ability to make you feel at ease and he genuinely cares about his patients . Mr Loy is a wonderful surgeon and passionate about his work. I am eternally grateful for his support and care and feel privileged to have been under his care .

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 »