Mr Drostan Cheetham

I qualified from University College London in 1994, and followed my surgical training throughout the West London region. My specialist interest is in Colorectal pathology both benign and malignant. I am lead of the Colorectal Cancer Multi-disciplinary Team at WHHT. I have a particular interest in laparoscopic (keyhole) surgery with approximately 90% of my practice being performed this way. I work exclusively at the West Herts NHS Trust.

19th March 2017
Written by a patient at Watford General Hospital

I have been under the care of Mr Cheetham and his team for the last few years now and I honestly cannot begin to say thank you enough to them all for what they have done for me in that time. I have had Crohn's disease for 15 years and the complications from this led to me requiring bowel surgery in 2014. I was referred to Mr Cheetham by my Gastrointestinal consultant at WGH, and I am so grateful for that as I have had the best care ever since. I had keyhole stoma surgery in 2014, but this got complicated in recent times due to infections and a bowel perforation which meant I had to undergo a bigger surgery at WGH under Mr Cheetham 3 weeks ago. This involved a re-siting of the stoma and other bowel resectioning. All the time I have been under the care of Mr Cheetham for these surgeries, I have received such amazing care and support and been left with nothing but absolute admiration for the dedicated work of him and his team. The way he treats you and speaks to you leaves you safe in the knowledge that you are in the very best hands. Surgeries are never easy times and patients all deal with the situations differently. Mr Cheetham has a unique ability to explain difficult and technical details in a supportive and understandable manner, so that I always knew what was happening and why and what the long term plan was. Having that understanding makes dealing with the situation much easier. Mr Cheetham has a great sense of humour too which contributes to a great relationship and puts you at ease. I am now recovering from my surgery at home, but the after care in the hospital while I was there for 2 weeks from all the staff in the ICU and on Flaunden ward was similarly amazing and I am forever in their debt for what they did to get me back on my feet. They all work under such pressure but they clearly love their job and show such dedication to their work it makes me angry when I see the politics affecting the NHS. It's a national treasure and a lifesaver for us all. Mr Cheetham is one amazing surgeon and I am so grateful to him for all he has done to change my life around and give me a quality of life I didn't have before, so I can be around for my kids which is ultimately all I wanted. Thank you Mr Cheetham, your care and support is so very much appreciated.

13th March 2017
Written by a patient at Watford General Hospital

Mr. Cheetham's treatment and care was exemplary. His surgery skills which were keyhole for rectum cancer were superb, including my not having a stoma bag, hence my recovery was speedy and required only 4 days. Now after just 3 weeks I am walking 2 miles at a reasonable speed and increasing general fitness. I am making a good recovery.

22nd December 2016
Written by a carer at Watford General Hospital

My mum, Pam, was recently in Watford General undergoing colo-rectal surgery. Mr Cheetham was her consultant and we cannot thank him enough for the brilliant care he provided. Initially she was assigned to another consultant, but was then told he couldn't do the surgery, which was obviously concerning at a difficult time for us. However, as soon as she met Mr Cheetham, who was given my mum's case, she was completely reassured. He explains things in enough detail but so it can be understood by non-medical patients and family members. He has a wicked sense of humour but above all, was extremely caring and supportive. His expertise meant a successful outcome for mum. We cannot praise him enough.

21st November 2016
Written by a patient at Watford General Hospital

My husband, family and myself would like to say a big thank you to Mr Cheetham and his wonderful for the care you have given me during this tough time. Mr Cheetham is a very kind and professional surgeon. I was diagnosed with bowel cancer in September 2016. had a very quick response for the operation, which i had in October 2016. The after care has been amazing, Mr Cheetham is exceptional, his personality, care and understanding is just great.

14th November 2016
Written by a patient at Watford General Hospital

My husband, family and myself would like to say a big thank you to Mr Cheetham and his wonderful team for the care you have given me during this tough time. Mr Cheetham is a very kind and professional surgeon, I was diagnosed with bowel cancer in September 2016 and had a very quick response for the operation, which I had in October 2016. The after care has been amazing, his personality, care and understanding is just great.

Short link to review Mr Drostan Cheetham: http://iwgc.net/eesp2