mr-drostan-cheetham

Mr Drostan Cheetham

26th October 2020

Mr Cheetham has a rare skill in that he can communicate his strong technical and specialist knowledge to patients in a way that is easy to understand, process and make decisions upon. His explanations and context really helped me to deal with the situation presented and feel comfortable knowing that he was telling me everything I needed to know without being 'talked down' to. Let's face it, I was scared about suddenly finding I had bowel cancer, and his approach made it a softer landing in reality than it could have been. The leadership he displays with his multi-faceted team is truly impressive, but in an understated professional way. He clearly has high standards and this flows down through his team in terms of individual support when he wasn't physically around. The multiple touch-points that I had made me feel like the whole team was behind me and communicative, which is immensely reassuring when you have loads of questions, fears and face some potentially life-changing decisions. Following the surgery Mr Cheetham was again open and informative in his feedback on how the operation had gone and let the results demonstrate what is for me a positive outcome. I didn't feel rushed in any of the post-operation discussions at my bedside or in Outpatients either, he is genuinely engaging, open and willing to take the time that I needed. For me trust is a massive thing, and from the first time I met him to the most recent outpatient meeting I had and have a strong feeling of trust in him from his explanations, plans and outcomes. Some you might not want to hear, but his transparency and honesty did put me in a place where I felt I had all the facts to consider and act on. I can't make any constructive suggestions, as he has dealt with my case superbly, as has his team. If he can be given any greater decision making powers or try to delay his retirement that might be something to look at. Could you enlarge his team so more of the NHS can get to see how a professional, down to earth and supportive Clinical Director can make a difference to individual patients like me in what is a massive NHS machine? Heart-felt thanks from me and my family. John Moorhouse.

29th June 2020

Dr Cheetham is amazing, this was my first surgery and as a 24 year old girl I was traumatised at the the thought of having a stoma bag. Dr Cheetham was honest with me but also so kind and caring, he made me laugh when I didn’t think it was possible to laugh. The surgery went great! No stoma bag, the scar was big as it was open surgery due to Covid 19 but all the nurses complimented the scar saying how neat it was. I just want to say I am so grateful to Dr cheetham and his registrar Dr Fletcher and the rest of the team.

25th February 2020

Mr Cheetham is an outstanding surgeon. We first met him three weeks before my scheduled surgery. I was diagnosed with bowel cancer (found from the bowel screening programme offered to everyone aged 55) and Mr Cheetham explained that the 5cm tumour was 12cm inside me and I'd need keyhole surgery to remove it. He gave me a quick inspection. His warm, friendly, cheerful manner along with the straightforward explanation he gave of the procedure inspired a lot of confidence. And this confidence was well placed. Mr Cheetham is a seasoned expert. He answered all our questions patiently and thoroughly. He explained the operation with a diagram in simple terms that we could understand. He gave me the possible scenarios of outcome (50/50 on having a stoma, possible chemotherapy if the cancer had spread). He outlined the risks (which I believe all doctors and surgeons have to do these days) but still I left feeling very happy to be in his hands. He left me in no doubt that he is thorough, careful, skilful and runs his team extremely well in theatre. He didn't have to explicitly state this - I could tell. He inspires trust - he clearly knows what he is doing! We met Mr Cheetham again, briefly, an hour or so before my operation. This was to sign my consent. Again, he made me and my husband feel very relaxed and happy. His cheerful confidence made me realise here was a man who had done this lots of time before, very successfully. A student asked my permission to watch the operation, which I gladly gave. Later in hospital, this student told me the operation lasted three hours and Mr Cheetham 'was amazing!'. Prior to the operation, the care from the nurses and the anaesthesia team was absolutely superb. Their kindness and good humour was so helpful. I felt completely peaceful going into surgery. Mr Cheetham phoned my husband immediately after my surgery - my family all felt that they were kept very well informed. I spent four nights in hospital and received incredible care and encouragement from the nurses there. Mr Cheetham visited me along with Laura Payne, the bowel nurse. Both were happy with my recovery and gave me good advice. I saw Mr Cheetham again two weeks after my surgery. I have been so impressed with my stomach - the keyhole surgery he performed was so neat and is healing very well. The resection join has held and I needed no stoma. He removed 28 lymph nodes (when only 12 are required) to thoroughly check to see if the cancer had spread. I am very fortunate that it hasn't, so I don't need chemotherapy. What an incredible surgeon. I count myself extremely lucky to have been placed into his care.

I qualified from University College London in 1994. Following my MD thesis at Imperial College I continued my surgical training throughout the West London region including specialist training at The Chelsea and Westminster, St Mary's and completed my training at St Mark's Hospital for Colorectal Diseases. My specialist interest is in colorectal pathology both benign and malignant. I have a particular interest in laparoscopic (keyhole) surgery having been fortunate to be selected for the national laparoscopic fellowship. Approximately 95% of my practice is performed laparoscopically. I am the Clinical Director for General Surgery at WHHT and Colorectal Lead and Chair of the Cancer Multi-Disciplinary Team. I work exclusively at the West Hertfordshire NHS Trust.

Short link to review Mr Drostan Cheetham: http://iwgc.net/eesp2