watford-general-hospital
1 2 3 4 5 107,050 reviews Write a review

Watford General Hospital

Vicarage Road, Watford, England, WD18 0HB

25th March 2019

Well, the issue is that I love in Hemel Hempstead and have to travel to the hospital by public transported. This means at least half a day, if not a full day just for a few minutes appointment. It would be great if either telephone or virtual appointments could be made where things are straightforward - mine today was to tell me all was well and that I would be signed off. That could have been done on the phone and it would have saved me 3 hours of travelling.

23rd February 2019

It was with great disappointment that I write this review of A & E Watford. In three visits in the last week I have left feeling exhausted angry & disappointed with a very poor service. 1st visit: arrived at about 7pm in the evening with what I had thought a badly sprained ankle. I had waited a week trying to treat it at home partly as I couldn't face the inevitable 3/4 hour wait in A&E. Now in considerable pain I approached the 'streaming nurse' having waited patiently on one leg she said it would be at least a 4 hour wait to see a doctor, she turned her screen round so I could see list of people waiting (surely not appropriate) said a sprain takes longer than a break to heal and suggested I attended minor injuries the following day. To cover herself she said at end "of course your decision" (to cover herself). I left. 2nd visit: I first attended MT Vernon diagnosed broken leg, plaster and excellent care I then had to go to Watford A & E for urgent medication. Approached streaming nurse (usual grubby sign says 3/4 hour wait - come to conclusion this always there to deter patients staying) having stood on one leg whilst patient in front was given 3rd degree about attending A& E. Then had to try & negotiate full waiting room to long check in queue, I couldn't stand so a gentleman kindly gave me a seat & I had to wait for my husband to check me in. Now standing room only in waiting as not enough seating. Could not put my foot in plaster up and people trying to get to check in accidentally hitting it. Room full of sick people no one checking on situation. 6 hours later (a very distressing day) finally left A & E but they failed to send notes to GP so unable to get follow up prescription. 3rd visit back to A& E to get prescription as notes not sent to GP. Husband went at 8am but told I had to go. He collected me on arrival guess what same grubby notice 3/4 hour wait streaming nurse (but more a blocker point) explained it would be a 3 hour wait. I left without medication. Issues: No where to drop patients safely at A & E Long walk to get to reception once dropped off presents difficulties for those with mobility issues and no wheelchairs readily available Streaming nurse - listens to concerns no proper assessment and acts more as a 'block' to attend in A &E Then have to queue a 2nd time to check in (another block) Limited seating and awful waiting room (another block) Length of waiting - all I spoke to had basically been there all day. I was there 6 hours. No one taking care of patients waiting All but one member of staff quite abrupt and not a single smile. Am aware of staff shortages and limited funding but a smile and support costs nothing. I recently attended A& E at Moofields London with a friend - a very different experience and the management of Watford A & E could learn a lot from a visit there. Hemel fracture clinic excellent which was mainly led by the excellent staff what a difference. My 6 hour visited resembled a cattle market.

6th February 2019

I received excellent care from all the staff I encountered at Watford General Hospital. The wait in A and E was lengthy but it was busy that night. I was on more than one ward while waiting for the operation (fractured ankle) and very impressed by the professionalism of the doctors, nurses and auxiliaries. I am now attending physiotherapy sessions at Abbots Langley and progressing well. Please thank everyone who has been involved in my care - you have made a difficult time in my life so much easier.

5th February 2019

The nurse who saw me before the doctor was really rude, I felt intimidated and not comfortable talking to her. When I wanted to tell about my previous visit at A&E she was not interested and kept asking why I visited A&E today. I found her attitude very upsetting, I would rather suffer at home than being exposed to such a treatment. I have been paying my taxes for over 20 years, very rarely used NHS, either doctors or hospitals and really didn’t expect that. I regretted my coming to the hospital.

22nd January 2019

Charlotte Eastwood was sympathetic and kind before and after I gave birth. She encouraged me in breastfeeding and had useful advice in answer to all my questions. She made me feel like I was doing well and gave me confidence and I was sad to be signed off from her care!

{{category}} working at Watford General Hospital ({{entities.length}})

Short link to review Watford General Hospital: http://iwgc.net/eb6em