watford-general-hospital

Vicarage Road, Watford, England, WD18 0HB

1 2 3 4 5 107,091 reviews

Written by a NHS patient
8th April 2021

My mother was admitted to respiratory Red Suite ward in the AAU unit at Watford General and received excellent care not just for her pneumonia but also for her Parkinson’s and severe neck problems. The staff were friendly and very caring and I felt she was in excellent hands and I could switch off and relax. Our problems with lack of care started when they transferred her to the disaster that is Aldenham ward. Phoning Aldenham ward is literally a nightmare. For the first week of a three week stay the phone wasn’t working properly and they sometimes couldn’t hear you see it keep dialling back. For the last week the line went down and couldn’t get through at all and I had to phone the operator. So not only can you barely ever reach the staff/nurses — and at times I had to try 10 times or leave it ringing for over 15 minutes (and still not get through on that occasion) (this was not during shift changeovers) to get through to them, — but when you do at times some of the nurses/staff barely understood what I was saying so bad was their English. One day it took me 5 hours and dozens of calls and I still hadn’t got through by 2pm. I gave up. Imagine not being able to see your loved ones because I’ve Covid restrictions and them not being able to talk to them either. It is an utter disgrace. And when I complained to “patient advice liaison” guess what? That’s right, the phone just rang and rang and rang. Whilst my mother only complained once about neck pain (from her Parkinson’s) in the Red Suite when she first arrived, she complained about it practically every day in Aldenham ward because they left her with her head and chin bent forward on her breast plate (giving her the sensation of choking) and this despite sending the exact same photograph (depicting how to keep my mother’s head upright with a neck brace and pillows) to both wards. Red Suite ward followed our simple instructions of how to support my mother’s head and neck with pillows and cushions and the neck brace we dropped off in the first days of my mother’s stay. Whilst there are other issues that I won’t go into, suffice to say that my mother is utterly exhausted and “at the end of her tether.” She asked me “how can one human being treat another human being so badly.” I gather she isn’t getting as much sleep as she needs and is very agitated about the situation. I am now pushing for a full discharge regardless of whether she needs to finish treatment. It is literally like she was transferred to a completely different hospital when they moved my mother out of Red Suite into Aldenham. Horrible experience.

Safe
16th December 2020

Watford general hospital. Theres so much I could say but wont.Just blessed to of had an amazing consultant for my little one.

Review of Physiotherapy Outpatients - Watford, written by a patient
11th October 2020

I was in Watford general hospital for 5 weeks and had excellent physiotherapy and OT care following a stroke. It was personalised and professional. The staff were knowledgeable, listened and understood my needs, supported each other and are a lovely bunch of people. They kept appropriate notes for the continued development of my movement and have given me life changing help. I cannot thank them enough and wish them all success in their careers and hope they appreciate how much difference they are making.

16th June 2020

Saturday 13/06. I walked into A & E, with a thump injury. From the moment I registered at the desk to the time I left. ( 1hr 15min ) was first class. Dr Karen Tasker saw me in minors department within 15 mins of arriving. She sent me for X Rays. 30 minutes later I saw her again. She diagnosed an open fracture. After fully informing me of all aspects of treatment, she dressed injury , provided antibiotics. Excellent service. I would also say all the areas I visited were very clean and clear instructions, regarding social distancing , were evident everywhere. Fantastic Experience. Thanks to everyone.

{{category}} working at Watford General Hospital ({{entities.length}})

Short link to review Watford General Hospital: http://iwgc.net/eb6em