Dr David Riley

I graduated from Leicester University medical School in 1995, a University that was ahead of its time as it included a strong focus on social and psychological impact of illness and care. Prior to the start of my specialty training I worked predominantly in hospital, enjoying posts in several specialties including renal medicine, trauma and orthopaedics, vascular surgery, A&E, medicine for the elderly and rehabilitation medicine, rheumatology, neurology, gastroenterology, cardiology, respiratory medicine, oncology, psychiatry and palliative medicine as a junior doctor. I chose a career in Palliative Medicine after working with a Specialist Palliative Care Nurse at Northampton General Hospital- he was inspiring and I am ever grateful. In addition to clinical posts I undertook a teaching and research fellow post based at Warwick University where I was able to develop my knowledge and skills in medical education and complete piece of research relating to the education of medical students. Qualifications–MBChB, MRCP, PGA Med Ed, PG Cert Communication Skills. I have a particular interest in communication skills and in optimising patient choice. I am based at Cynthia Spencer Hospice where I have in-patients under my care and an outpatient clinic–I also attend Northampton General Hospital and work in the Specialist Palliative Care Team in an advisory roll. In addition to my clinical work I am the Clinical Director for Specialist Palliative Care Services, I am a trained appraiser for the trust and a clinical supervisor for doctors in training. Outside of work I enjoy spending time with friends and family, music, reading and cooking... And walking the dog when I have to, which I secretly enjoy.

• Palliative medicine

14th February 2017
Written by a carer at Cynthia Spencer Hospice

He listened, explained and offered good advice and understood my medical condition totally.

Written by a carer at Cynthia Spencer Hospice

A positive and pleasant meeting. No, it couldn't be improved.

Written by a patient at Cynthia Spencer Hospice

It was good to see both Doctor and Physio together. We discussed my condition and was beneficial in discussing my problems between the three of us and solved things quickly.

Written by a patient at Cynthia Spencer Hospice

Care has been excellent. The joint assessment is a great idea. Much appreciate the help and support.

Written by a patient at Cynthia Spencer Hospice

Dr Riley listened and I thoroughly enjoyed his interest and helpfulness. Thank you.

Nearest Palliative medicine specialists