mr-rupert-clifton

27th July 2020

Mr Clifton performed a total knee replacement on me in March 2020. The operation was performed at the Fitzwilliam Hospital in Peterborough. From the outset Mr Clifton explained in great detail the whole procedure and even though I was apprehensive he put me at ease. I felt 100% confident I was in safe hands. The whole experience from the moment I went into the hospital and including all the aftercare was first class, Mr Clifton is an excellent surgeon and for the first time in many years I am more mobile and pain free. I can not express how grateful I am for giving me a better quality of life. Mr Clifton is a first class surgeon and words can not express how much he has changed my life for the better. personable professional and a really nice person.

Written by a patient at Peterborough City Hospital
16th July 2020

Mr Clifton performed a total right knee replacement for me in September 2019 at Peterborough City Hospital. I had particularly asked to be referred to Mr Clifton after researching for the best knee surgeon in Peterborough and was happy to wait for my operation even though I was in so much pain. My knee had been damaged through playing tennis and badminton, I had had 3 arthroscopies to trim damaged cartilage over the years and then osteoarthritis had set in! I can honestly say that since my operation I now have my quality of life back, thanks to Mr Clifton, and can walk 8 - 10 miles without pain, can ride my bike again and do normal household activities all of which I never thought possible as pain became a way of life and prevented me doing some of these things! I cannot thank Mr Clifton and his team enough for the care and attention given to me and the re-assurance that my knee would bend again. Yes, it was very painful after the operation to get the knee to bend but I followed their advice, making sure I had done some pre-op exercises and after my operation continued my daily routine of exercises, 3 times a day for the first couple of months and once I returned to work a couple of times a day. I still now 10 months on continue to do a set of exercises once a day. The exercises are a must no matter how painful in the first few weeks as the muscles need the strength to support the new knee and for the operation to be successful. I am one very happy patient and so pleased with my new knee and new lease of life. My sincere thanks again to you Mr Clifton for an excellent job, and your care and attention to your patients and profession. I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending you.

14th February 2020

I have been under Mr Clifton’s care for many years because of Osteoarthritis in both my knees. I also have the problem of lymphedema in both legs. Initially arthroscopies we’re carried out on both knees to trim jagged cartilage and this greatly helped to alleviate the pain. However after some time the pain came back. Because of my knees being large and swollen, due to the lymphedema, Mr Clifton said a knee replacement would be very difficult so he recommended Ostenil Plus injections in both knees. Over a few years these injections were repeated and my mobility was improved. However eventually, after some years, these injections did not help at all as the cartilage in both knees was almost worn away and I as in a lot of pain. I had no quality of life due to very limited mobility. Eventually Mr Clifton said there was no alternative other than knee replacements even though these would be difficult. Mr Clifton operated on one of my knees and the result was excellent. I was pain free from day one and after 6 weeks I was walking normally. Five moths later Mr Clifton agreed to me having a replacement on the other knee although he warned me it would be a difficult procedure. The operation went well although I was in some pain for the first day - which was expected. By the second day I was walking pain free and now 5 weeks later my mobility is excellent and for the first time I am walking pain free in both knees. Thanks to Mr Clifton I have been given my life back and for that I will be eternally grateful.

30th January 2020

7 weeks after my procedure I can say that I hadn't realised how much pain and discomfort I was in before. Mr. Clifton has not only given me back my mobility but the life I didn't realise I had lost. From day 1 I was virtually pain free from the joint. I can't thank him enough for what he has done for me and would definitely recommend him to anyone thinking of having this procedure done.

16th January 2020

I found Mr Clifton very professional, providing me with confidence in his knowledge and experience and in being empathetic to my condition. At my first consultation we discussed alternatives to the Knee replacement operation and injections were recommended albeit with caveats. These injections worked well in part but after several months it was clear that the operation would be required. After a further consultation Mr Clifton had no hesitation in arranging the procedure for the earliest opportunity. The whole experience was very positive from the initial consultations through follow-up and then the eventual operation and the comfort and professional treatment by Mr Clifton and his team, the anaesthetist Dr Geeva and the nursing staff at the Fitzwilliam. The operation was a success and the scaring very neat. I would have no hesitation in recommending Mr Clifton.

Mr Rupert Clifton was awarded the iWantGreatCare certificate of excellence in 2020 for delivering outstanding care.

• Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery