mr-david-birchley

15th January 2022

I felt at ease with Dr. Birchley throughout my consultations with him. He explained in detail my problems and what he would be able to do to make my condition much better by having surgery for the relief of my hernia. I appreciated how he informed me of the benefits of having surgery and what the prognosis would be. I found Mr. Birchley and his staff very easy to talk to and also very reassuring. I did have to see Mr..Birchley three weeks after surgery as I was concerned about swelling below the scar. An appointment was quickly arranged and Mr.Birchley fully explained that this was a seroma and that it would probably disperse naturally. His explanation allayed my concerns and he offered to see me in the future if I had any further concerns. As Mr.Birchley explained, the fluid causing the swelling would dissipate naturally over time and this is proving to be the case. This is my second experience of treatment and care in Exeter Nuffield Hospital and I would highly recommend the Consultants and staff.

13th January 2022

David made me feel comfortable from our first meeting. He listen to my concerns and talked me through the process. Throughout my treatment he was friendly and polite and always respectful. He has done a great job of removing the thread veins around my knees. I would highly recommend him.

Written by a private patient at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital
28th December 2021

Mr Birchley performed a foam sleropothy operation on my right leg August 2021 his caring and patient manner in explaining the procedure was very much appreciated and the outcome of the operation was a success.

24th November 2021

I am very grateful to Nuffield Exeter for my hernia repair having put up with the discomfort for many years. Having tried to get help through the NHS on several occasions and for several years, I can’t believe how quickly the journey from contacting Nuffield and the actual operation went. The whole process went very smoothly. Mr Birchley was very sympathetic, the anaesthetist was efficient and friendly, the nurses were efficient, kind and jovial, the rest of the staff too. I wasn’t rushed and had a very comfortable room and was sent home with medication, advice and instructions and I felt I could ask questions at all stages. I very quickly recovered and am grateful for the care and treatment I received throughout.

21st November 2021

Over 20 years ago I was told a varicose vein in the front of my right foot could not be treated. Over the years it worsened to the extent that earlier this year I my ankle was swollen, suffered cramps and unable to wear normal shoes. I was concerned that leg ulcers could develop and asked to see Mr Birchley for his assessment and advice. When he examined my leg he said I had 'unilateral varicose veins on the foot associated with swelling, discomfort, cramping at night and thread veins' and could be treated with foam sclerotherapy. A few months later the results are remarkable with all the previous problems eradicated and the improved appearance a huge bonus. From our first meeting to being signed off as job done Mr Birchley has been supportive and reassuring explaining the procedure thoroughly. Throughout my time with him he instilled confidence in what to expect. I would have no hesitation in recommending Mr Birchley, a highly professional consultant who I felt was on my side.

• Vascular and Transplant Surgery

Consultant Vascular and General surgeon with specialist interests in venous treatments, arterial disease, hernia and renal replacement access surgery.

Nearest Vascular and transplant surgeons