Mr Rob Bethune

Rob is a Consultant Colo-Rectal Surgeon at the Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust and also sees patients privately at Exeter Nuffield - contact sophie.punter@nuffieldhealth.com 01392 262183

16th August 2019
Written by a patient at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital

A recent superbly managed visit to a gastroenterology unit in Tiverton reminded me of an occasion in 2017 when I had an appointment for a colonoscopy at the RD&E Hospital in Exeter. It was a Saturday morning and the procedure was to be undertaken by Rob Bethune. A previous colonoscopy three years earlier had been excellently performed at the same hospital, so I felt confident all would be well. However, Rob Bethune’s manner was perfunctory and graceless, making me apprehensive. With the curtest of preliminaries he embarked upon the procedure which, despite sedation and gas and air, had me howling uncontrollably with discomfort and pain. I recall it as being only surpassed by the experience of childbirth. He continued despite this, and at no point was I offered an opportunity to terminate the procedure. When it was over, he said ‘Well done’. An unforgettable experience.

12th August 2019
Written by a patient at The Exeter Nuffield Hospital

From the initial consultation to my discharge review I had total confidence in Mr Bethune who exhibited confidence and compassion without being at all condescending . He and his team were a delight to meet and made what would normally be an unpleasant experience as tolerable as possible under the circumstances. Many thanks.

26th June 2019
Written by a patient at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital

I had a double hernia procedure carried out by Mr Bethane at the Nuffield Exeter in May of 2019. Although my inguinal hernia was only showing on my right groin, after discussions with Mr Bethune, I opted for key hole surgery as this would allow him to examine my left side during the operation. As a result Mr Bethane confirmed that my left side was indeed also showing signs of damage so fortunately he was able to repair both at the same time. Although the key hole operation is considered to have a slightly higher risk attached to it I am pleased to say that my procedure was carried out successfully and I am completely back to normal after only 4 weeks and just come back from having walked Offa's Dyke pain free ! As a consequence of my experience I can thoroughly recommend Mr. Bethane for this type of procedure. His detailed explanation of the various options during our initial consultation allowed me to make what I now consider was the best option.

14th June 2019
Written by a patient at The Exeter Nuffield Hospital

I was very nervous seeking advice and treatment for my condition and Rob instantly put me at ease. He is professional, courteous with a very easy to speak to nature, he is clearly very experienced and this combination made me feel confident I was with someone that would be able to help. My treatment went very well, and I am now fixed! It was undoubtedly one of the best visits I've had to hospital with an outcome I am happy with. Thank you to Rob and Team!

12th April 2019
Written by a patient at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital

I saw Mr Bethune for complications after a panproctocolectomy. I had difficulty with wound healing and infections. I had been treated for months without resolution and he finally resolved my issues while being very astute and compassionate. He was exceptional in how he adjusted how he communicated with me in order to better understand me due to my background of having UC compared to the standard patient and hence a different perception of my health (which generally leads to my symptoms being underestimated).

Short link to review Mr Rob Bethune: http://iwgc.net/e6kn