Mr Robin Bhatia

« 1 2 3 4 5 »

12th February 2018
Written by a patient at The Great Western Hospital

I was referred to DR Bhatia after an MRI scan identified that I had a prolapsed disc in my neck C5/C6. Dr Bhatia clearly explained all available options available and also went through the risks in detail. The decision to go ahead with the operation was left to me to decide alone. I was very happy to have Dr Bhatia as my surgeon and the operation was organised as a priority due to the amount of spinal compression. The original date was delayed by a week due to availability of beds but went ahead a week later. The operation took two hours as indicated without any complications. I was then released the following day and have experienced no side effects at all. Some of my symptoms improved immediately but the numbness in my hands is taking longer. This was explained to me before the operation by Dr Bhatia and also that they may never recover fully. The level of care I received from DR Bhatia and the GWH team has exceeded my expectations.

23rd January 2018
Written by a patient at The Great Western Hospital

Dr Bhatia assessed me for neurosurgery back in November. I had a compressed disc in my neck between C5 and C6. Dr Bhatia presented me with all the options along with the risks associated with the disc removal operation. Due to the severity of the compression I was fast tracked and the op booked for the 6th December. Unfortunately this had to be cancelled at short notice by the GWH trust but Dr Bhatia apologied on the trusts behalf and managed to get my operation moved to the following week. Everything went to plan with no issues at all. The full team at the GWH were fantastic and the care I received second to none. I would highly recommend Dr Bhatia who is a true professional in every aspect of his job.

19th January 2018
Written by a patient at The John Radcliffe

In October 2017, I was a 74 year old passenger in a car accident and broke my neck at the 5th and 6th vertebrae. When I arrived at Swindon hospital I was completely paralysed below the neck and they chose to move me to the John Radcliffe where Mr Robin Bhatia (who alternates between the two hospitals) was the on-call surgeon. He made it perfectly clear that surgery was necessary to relieve the pressure on my spinal chord and that there was a remote chance of recovery. He operated all night (6-7 hours), taking the opportunity to operate through the front and rear of my neck in a two phased operation which, I understand, might only have included the first phase had I not been strong enough. Following the operation my children were informed honestly that I should recover some movement in my arm but they should not hope for more. However the operation was such a success (in part I understand due to the immediate surgery) that over the coming days I recovered movement in all limbs and was removed from ventilation. Just two months later I can walk without assistance and have movement in both arms with some limitations. I am so grateful to Mr Bhatia who quite evidently performed excellent surgery and laid the foundation for me to work toward recovering my mobility through physio and hard work.

21st November 2017
Written by a patient at The Great Western Hospital

I was admitted to Great Western Hospital with a burst and retro-pulsed fracture to my spine (one of my vertebrae was completely shattered) after a fall from a ladder. Some of the bone fragments were pushing onto my spinal cord which carried an immediate risk of paralysis. Dr Bhatia was very clear about the risks of both having surgery and not having surgery. Although this was all very traumatic and quite scary Dr Bhatia openness and calm confidence made me feel I could trust his judgement and surgical skill to repair the damage. I am now writing this 8 months after surgery and I am almost back to my old self. My spine is healing nicely and despite the fixation attached to my spine (which is likely to be permanent) I already have nearly full mobility and strength. I walk, swim, and cycle regularly. I really appreciate the surgical skill of Dr Bhatia and also the support of the entire team at Great Western Hospital in quite literally getting me back on my feet.

23rd September 2017
Written by a patient at The Great Western Hospital

Prior to the operation he explained exactly what he was going to do to my spine and the risks involved together with pictures.

« 1 2 3 4 5 »