The National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery

Queen Square, London, England, WC1N 3BG

9th November 2020

Very intimidating to be confronted by a panel of 4-5 people when you attend an appointment on your own. No one bothers to introduce anyone or tell you who they are as they sit yawning and looking bored. Openly laughed at me when I said my brain tumour is exactly where I used to hold my mobile phone. Why? The warning in the pack even says phones can cause tumours. Was told 18 months ago my case would be discussed at a management meeting with a view to treatment, this gave me (false) hope– but it never came up again. Consultants would do well to understand the impact of creating false hope. I took the initiative and asked for a low-cost non-invasive treatment and was told no – without a substantive reason. My request and the denial were omitted from my medical record. Consultant claimed I was anxious in his report after I described my first seizure, a pretty terrifying experience. Yet he provided no evidence to support his claim and I have no history of anxiety. He claimed I had not experienced a seizure despite not witnessing it. I have been warned I am at risk of seizures. I’ve been waiting almost a year for them to deal with my complaint and my care has been undermined as a result; I’m supposed to be seen every 6 months but have not been seen for almost a year. Incredibly disappointing experience.

27th August 2020

I was in hospital for a month during Covid lockdown. I received first class care in a lovely airy, light environment (which appeared brand new) from a fantastic, caring and supportive team who were attentive to my needs and kept me going for a month in hospital during lockdown when I wasn't able to have any visitors. The Molly Lane Fox Ward staff are an extremely professional team. I was also in ICU for a few days where, again, I had fantastic care. There are three things that need to be improved. 1. The showers are dreadful on the ward and need a major overhaul. It's so important to have access to decent showers when you are in hospital but these three were all impossible to use as there is a serious water pressure problem in the building. Some of us had to transfer mid shower - covered in soap and covered by a towel from one shower to another when it packed up. The staff were clearly exasperated with this issue constantly reporting a problem which is never resolved. 2. Breakfast was served after 09:00 daily which is far too late. We all struggled in my ward with this and I felt sick each day with hunger waiting so I had to keep back food from the day before to eat around 07:30 when I normally eat breakfast and then eat again at 09:00. I am Gluten Free and provision for my diet was poor. Most days I could only eat cornflakes or yogurt and occasionally I might be lucky to have a piece of GF toast. So I had to get food from home sent in. 3. On admission I was in a private room, on the Nuffield Ward, until my Covid Swab came back negative. I was then transferred to the excellent Molly Lane Fox ward. I remained in my room for 90 minutes and no one came to check me in. It was a BH Monday evening so maybe there were less staff on duty. They were all rushed off their feet and clearly understaffed. In my private room the air con didn't work and it was impossibly hot, I had a brain tumour and here I was becoming dehydrated, feeling ill and so in the end I had to leave the room in search of staff to get a fan, help and get checked in which did not make me feel safe or welcome.

{{category}} working at The National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery ({{entities.length}})

Short link to review The National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery: http://iwgc.net/eb49v