The Royal Marsden Hospital (Chelsea)

Fulham Road, London, England, SW3 6JJ

1 2 3 4 5 21,615 reviews

Review of Radiotherapy Chelsea,
23rd November 2022

The radiotherapy team were efficient, courteous and caring; the service I experienced could not have been bettered. It is a credit to the team's management and clinical capabilities that they were able to deliver such outstanding patient care at the critical point of need. Thus my experience of the radiotherapy therapy service was beyond the 'very good' you allow - it was excellent.

I really cannot think of any improvements that could be made to the excellent radiotherapy service I received.

22nd October 2022

Good experience

Nothing at all

2nd July 2022

Attended on 1 July for follow-up flexible cystoscopy appointment. Medical staff-Claire McNally and Ray Nicholson- were superb and very professional in their duties, and allayed any pre-procedure concerns effectively. Many thanks to them and all the other staff who I have encountered at Rapid Diagnostics Urology.

Probably be more informative about wait times on the day.

4th May 2022

My answers are based on 'Merit' of my own individual experience.....

So-far-so-good I do not seem to have any more new ideas of improvement in the light of existing Set-Up.

22nd March 2022

Because everyone - consultant, nurse and receptionists - was very helpful, and I am delighted to be coming here as a patient.

There isn't anything.

Review of Medical Day Unit (Chelsea),
10th February 2022

TREATMENT This was my second cycle of chemo. The first appointment last month January 2022, was at noon. It was to take 2.5 hours, but appreciate would be a bit longer. Took 6 hours. Nurse had two tries at installing canula (I fully appreciate that I do have thin veins and it can be problematical and I mentioned that) But after two unsuccessful and painful attempts, she had to call a ?senior/more experienced nurse who inserted the canula in seconds without issue. The same thing arose on my second cycle, today, in February, causing me pain. Once again, the nurse, after two unsuccessful painful attempts, had to call upon a senior/more experienced nurse who did the job successfully, and pain free in seconds. MEDICATION DELAY Additionally, more problems arose today, as my medication has not been delivered when I arrived at my 2pm appointment. I originally had a 4pm appointment, but changed it to 2pm. However, due to a failure of communication somewhere, nobody informed the pharmacy dept of that fact, and consequently the medication could not be delivered until 4pm. (Cutting to the chase. I ended up leaving around 6pm or a bit later, definitely several hours later than I should have been.) Meanwhile as time wore on during the afternoon, around 3pm, I became very hungry, as I had not packed food, owing to the fact that I did not expect to be there for so long. Therefore I I had had no lunch. The hospital shop was sold out, so I just bought a kitkat. But a nurse was kind enough to find a sandwich for me, when I mentioned my lack of food to her. Additionally, as I have several food intolerances, it was fortunate the nurse hit upon a sandwich I could eat, otherwise I would have been starving with only a kitkat to eat. STAFF RUDENESS I have two different drugs, and when the first one has finished, I always ask the nurse dealing with me if it is okay if I use the toilet before they hook up the next one. A matter of about five minutes. I have already had six cycles of different chemo last year 2021, and have never, until today, been met with a responsive "sighing sound" of annoyance, when I ask that question at that juncture) followed by "you will have to wait when you come back as I have to deal with another patient". I replied "okay, but I have to go" which was true. She then added "you can go to the loo whenever you want and can take the stand (not her exact word but I mean the hook up paraphernalia) with you". I replied that I was quite aware of that, but did not want to trail that around the room with me. By that time I was tired and fed up, and did not take kindly to her attitude. Most likely she was stressed out too, hence her comment to me. The reason I always keep toilet using to a minimum is that it adds time to the whole session, as when you return with the "trolley" hook up, you then have to wait quite a while, for a nurse to stop the bleeper alarm, and set the whole thing in motion again. This is a waste of their valuable time also. PERSONAL REVIEW I had six months of chemo here in the Medical Day Unit in 2021. It was exemplary on all fronts. Always happy and confident to go. I am very sorry to say, IMHO the standards have dropped since then. My confidence has taken a knock after today.

From the above experience, I think there is absolutely not enough staff around to cope properly. This is creating stress for both nurses and patients in an already highly stressful environment by its very nature. Additionally, more senior staff should be around the ward, hands on, helping out, taking the heat off, so more junior staff can work better, causing less pain to their patients and without recourse to seniors, as in my case. Additionally whilst I fully appreciate the backlog of patients due to covid 19, must be the root of the problem, there should be more effective communication between departments to keep mistakes to the minimum, and I cite the delayed medication as an example of this. You must reduce the stress on your nurses. It is having an undesirable knock on effect to your patients.

9th February 2022

I saw Prof. James in the Rapid Diagnostic Centre at 11.40 on 8th Feb. He was brilliant at explaining everything to me. I then had a blood test and was treated by Gosia, Merveille and Ludovic? (Brazilian nurse). They could not have been more kind and reassuring. They really put me at ease. The lady volunteer who met me at the door was so kind and caring. I am sure she has a difficult task sometimes as 'gatekeeper'.

Just make it clearer that permission needs to be obtained for a spouse to accompany a patient. I have been married for 50 years and it seems reasonable to me for my wife to be included in a consultation.

29th January 2022

This was my first consultation and the doctor, consultant, nurse and surgeon who did the biopsy were all so lovely and put me and my Mum totally at ease

18th January 2022

Really great experience, was seen quickly, all the nurses and the clinician I saw treated me with respect, felt very comfortable especially given I was quite nervous about the appointment in general. Was also a lot quicker than I expected!

Everything was good, but it would have been good if the appointment letter was clearer about where it was, I went to the main entrance first.

6th December 2021

I visited the breast care centre today. I was seen by a cancer practitioner on time. I was given time to inform her of my concerns and I was listened to. Examined, mammogram and ultrasound all within two hours. I was very impressed at the professional care given by all the staff and information given to me before leaving the clinic. Keep up the good work you are all doing with care and professionalism under the Covid restrictions. Some of the questions were not relevant to my appointment today.

On my visit it ran smoothly and at no time did I feel stressed

Rating not given.

{{category}} working at The Royal Marsden Hospital (Chelsea) ({{entities.length}})

Short link to review The Royal Marsden Hospital (Chelsea): http://iwgc.net/eb6av