furness-general-hospital
1 2 3 4 5 45,631 reviews Write a review

Furness General Hospital

Dalton Lane, Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, England, LA14 4LF

29th November 2017

I had an operation on the Monday and was not discharged until the Friday but stayed throughout in the Day Care Unit. The care I received was first class and appropriate to my needs during recovery despite some complications. Absolutely no complaints (even though my operation was cancelled at the end of the day when I first attended). In the past 5 years I have had 5 operations of which 2 were in the private sector. There is no comparison and I would choose the NHS every time based on my experience. The pre-op in the private sector is very superficial and if anything goes wrong they are not there to support you. Yet at FGH my every need was promptly addressed and I was kept as comfortable as possible. The staff at all levels were cheerful and supportive. This Unit is a great way of dealing with operations where many patients can be discharged the same day but some can continue to be looked after.

29th November 2017

I was treated with dignity and respect by the nursing team and medical staff were clearly first-rate. My wife, who has her own problems, found the nursing staff very helpful indeed. I cannot think of a way in which significant improvement could be made [with the possible exception of providing more and better hospital transport].

3rd November 2017

Dr Siva gave me great care and attention when having a small growth removed from my ear. All the staff on the day unit and the theatre staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The hospital and staff deserve lots of praise for the great work they do

1st November 2017

I have attended the Oncology clinic in the past and have had very good experiences. Today, however I saw Dr. Majeed . Firstly I had great difficulty understanding what he was saying as his english was poor. I had to ask him to repeat himself on more than one occasion. He was badly prepared for the consultation as he did not seem to know that an x-ray had been requested by the team and I had to tell him the date that it was done. When he found the x-ray he also found that it had not been reported. He repeated over and over again that he would refer me to Orthopaedics and described what could then happen (possible pin in leg) even though he could not get the x-ray results. My PSA test result showed a marked increase so he left the room to discuss what new drug could be prescribed. He then wrote a prescription without asking what drugs I was taking in case they clashed. Fortunately the oncology nurse came into the room at tis time and was able to correct him, but only after some discussion. It was a most distressing consultation for both my wife and I as he gave every impression of not knowing what he was talking about. He left us upset and confused. Fortunately the oncology nurse saw us after the consultation and tried to put our minds at rest. P.S. the oncology nurse kindly phoned me the following day to tell me that the xray results showed nothing untoward and I would NOT be refers to orthopaedics. All the talk of doom and gloom were rubbish. I will not see this Dr. again.

24th October 2017
Written by a family member