Mr Shabbir Poonawala

Consultant Oncoplastic Breast Surgeon

12th March 2018
Written by a patient at Clatterbridge Hospital

From the moment I was diagnosed with breast cancer Mr Poonawala treated me with compassion and explained everything to myself and husband. I never felt rushed whilst seeing Mr Poonawala and he treated me with respect. As soon as you mention his name to the nurses, other clinical staff a smile comes on their face so I knew I was in safe hands. Operation was successful and scar was very neat, again representing the compassion, respect and pride in his work. Can't thank you enough for doing a marvellous job and making this horrendous time somewhat less stressful.

23rd February 2018
Written by a patient at Clatterbridge Hospital

I can no fault Mr Poonawala from the 1st day I became his patient,he was caring compassionate and put my needs first,everything was explained to me about my cancer and treatment journey which was very reassuring when your world is turned upside down.

1st December 2017
Written by a patient at Clatterbridge Hospital

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in October and have since undergone a mastectomy in November due to there being two tumours present. The whole experience was a huge shock especially given my age of 34 at diagnosis. Mr Poonawala is very kind, attentive and explains everything clearly. He made me feel instantly at ease and listened to myself and my husband and answered all of our questions. He is a truly lovely doctor and is so skilled. My scar is so neat and tidy and actually makes me smile. I saw him today as I had a build up of fluid in my armpit and he just popped it- with his hands- no pain what so ever. Amazing! I am in complete gratitude to this lovely, kind man. Thank you so much for everything you have done and are doing! Thank you also to my nurse Alison and all the rest of the team at Clatterbridge. Everybody is lovely and they treat you with respect and kindness. I have never smiled and laughed so much, as during my stay in Clatterbridge hospital.

10th October 2017
Written by a patient at Clatterbridge Hospital

I had a lumpectomy in August of this year at Clatterbridge Hospital. I can't fault the care I received from the whole team. Mr Poonawala was very clear and considerate in my treatment. My scar seems to be healing nicely and his bedside manner was excellent. He could teach my GP a thing or two. Thank you to all at Clatterbridge.

22nd November 2017
Response from Mr Shabbir Poonawala

Thanks a lot for your praise which I have passed on to the rest of the team too. I am sure your GP tries his/her best in difficult circumstances and the limited time for consultations, (time)which I usually ignore, making all of you wait longer than your appointed time. Sorry for this..

10th September 2017
Written by a patient at Clatterbridge Hospital

This is the second time I have had Breast Cancer in ten years, the first time I have been under the care of Mr Poonawala. What can I say, Mr Poonawala is a lovely, lovely person. He takes the time to explain things in terms you understand. He listens to your concerns and try his best to put you at ease. He even includes the person with you. I have to say that the whole team at Clatterbridge Breast Clinic are so caring they make what is a frightening time bearable.

22nd November 2017
Response from Mr Shabbir Poonawala

I am glad that your recent frightening experience (for the second time in 10 years) was made bearable by our excellent team in the Breast Unit at Wirral University Teaching Hospital. Thanks for your positive comments.

Short link to review Mr Shabbir Poonawala: http://iwgc.net/eet4f