Mr Janavikulam Thiruchelvam

• Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

« 1 2 3 4 »

15th October 2016
Written by a patient at Spire Roding Hospital

I have seen many doctors over the years but none as easy to talk to and to understand as Mr T. He did not intimidate, he explained and I felt relaxed enough to ask any questions. He emailed my MRI Report and waited on the line for me to read it through and ask any questions. I highly recommend this doctor.

18th June 2016
Written by a patient at Spire Roding Hospital

A large cyst developed in my upper jaw over my front teeth. Having consulted a series of dentists, I was referred to Mr Thiruchelvam by BUPA in the autumn of 2015. He recommended that I have a number of root canals performed beforehand, and then removed the cyst in an operation conducted at the Spire Roding hospital in December 2016. Throughout my experience, I found Mr Thiruchelvam to be a good listener, caring, sympathetic and thorough. He volunteered his mobile number at the outset, and was prompt in replying with advice/explanations whenever I texted or e-mailed him for guidance. I would have no hesitation in recommending Mr Thiruchelvam to anyone requiring the services in which he specialises.

18th September 2015
Written by a carer at Chase Farm Hospital

Dr Thiruchelvam treated me for Oral Cancer. Throughout the whole treatment and after care, the doctor was very supportive and informative. He advised me on possible treatments and helped me make the best choice. He was always ready to answer any questions we had for him and give answers. Great Doctor, would highly recommend.

21st August 2015
Written by a patient at Barnet Hospital

In 2000 my dentist told me on a routine check-up that he had noticed some small white patches on the floor and roof of my mouth that would require further investigation. After carrying out some minor dental work he explained in much more detail that these patches could be benign, but it would be advisable to seek further medical advice. He also gently admonished me about my smoking and drinking habits, but “I had heard it all before” so just agreed that I would try and cut down on both. I was not by any means a heavy drinker, but I did drink regularly. I smoked ‘roll-ups’ it reduced the amount I smoked because of the time taken to make each one. I arranged to see my GP and was referred to the University College Hospital, London. After a biopsy it was agreed that I should have laser treatment to ‘Zap’ (the Consultant’s term!) the white patches under general anaesthetic which was carried out within ten days of my appointment my dentist. After the operation I took a few weeks off work and contemplated what I had been told and undergone. To my wife’s chagrin, I did not alter my drinking or smoking habits, although I assured my GP that I had reduced my intake substantially. I knew they didn’t believe me, but I felt I was far too young to have any serious problems lurking and I was generally quite fit. I had to have regular checks at Chase Farm Hospital where my wife and I met Mr Janavikulam Thiruchelvam (Mr T) a consultant surgeon in the Maxillofacial Department. Nothing much happened until 2008 when Mr T told me he had noticed an anomaly and I had to have a biopsy on a small piece of my gum. The results were inconclusive so I had another biopsy under general anaesthetic. That was in October 2008. The next two weeks were bearable, mainly because Mr T had been as about as subtle as an air raid when he explained what would have to happen if the results (which he already strongly suspected would show cancer) were what he was looking for. My wife and I attended the follow up to be told that unfortunately for me, Mr T’s prognosis, as ever, was absolutely correct and I had mouth cancer in the form of a growth on my jaw. To give it its technical term, it was a “T4 NO MO squamous cell carcinoma right retro molar region”. The treatment was to be quite drastic, but I was already prepared for it because Mr T has an aversion to pulling punches so it came as no surprise. The technical description was “Right hem-mandibulectomy, right selective neck dissection and reconstruction with left DCIA Flap. In other words, the removal of my lower right jawbone and some flesh to be replaced with bone from my left hip and flesh from my stomach. This was done on the 5th November 2008 followed up in early 2009 by radio and chemo therapy which reduced my immunity levels. Consequently I had two severe attacks of pneumonia, one of which very nearly killed me. Mr T was always around when I went back into hospital and actually laughed at me when I insisted I was well enough to go home for a weekend. I couldn’t even stand unaided when I came up with that bright idea. I always felt that I couldn’t let him down by dying; he’d invested far too much of his time in me. He modestly says it’s down to me that I survived; that’s not true. It’s down to his brilliance in spotting trouble before it’s gone too far and his skill in the operating theatre. I know that he is helped by a large backup team, but he’s in charge and I know from speaking to many of them that he has earned their highest respect. Since the operation, chemo & radio therapy and my two long stays as an in-patient with pneumonia, I have seen MrT at least four times a year for check-ups and he's always very keen to advise me of any concerns he may have with regard to the state of my mouth. My dentist commented only last month that he had been very helpful in advising her what she could and could not do with my (or is it his?) mouth. IT was during one of these regular check-ups that he noticed that my jaw now has Osteoradionecrosis (the jaw bone is dying because of the radiotherapy) and in June 2015 Mr T (now almost a family friend!), removed the titanium plate from my jaw under general anaesthetic and tried to cut away the dead bone. Only time will tell if he was successful. If not, I’ll have to have the same lengthy operation I had 7 years ago again. I’ll only agree to it if Mr Thiruchelvam is in charge of the operation. He's even given me the title of a website that I can watch the operation on! But who cares? I’m still alive, enjoying life and have at last given up both smoking and drinking completely! In return, Mr T has (nearly) promised to come skydiving with me. There are few men outside of the Armed Forces that I can genuinely say saved my life. Janavikulam Thiruchelvam is one of them and I'm proud to know him.

14th August 2015

After many consultations and a few cancelled operations (one for me stupidly not knowing I could consume a cuppa tea in the fast time before operation... "Mr T" completed an amazingly neat operation on my neck (ear region). Mr T was always calm and reassuring, he said if possible he was going to use a new 'minimal' technique. I was from the outset concerned about the scar or 'look' but a few months later the recovery has been amazing...nobody even knows I had an operation or incision! Mr T is simply the tops!

« 1 2 3 4 »