Dr Shanker Vijayadeva

If you can spare a few moments, please do leave a review so that I can reflect on your experience and aim to constantly improve. Your reviews will also be discussed as part of my annual appraisal as a doctor. I endeavour to respond to every review if I can. About Me: I was born and grew up in North West London. I graduated from University College London Medical School in 2000 and became a GP in 2004. Currently I have two main roles: 1) Clinical role as a Sessional GP (currently mainly at Cloister Road Surgery) and 2) Management role as a GP Lead for Ealing Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG). I have worked in a variety of GP Practices across London, but mainly in Ealing and Harrow. This has included long periods at Barnabas Medical Centre and Hillview Surgery in Ealing.

23rd April 2019

Very helpful :)

Very professional and understanding

17th April 2019
Response from Dr Shanker Vijayadeva

Thank you!

Written by a patient at Cloister Road Surgery

I called my GP to ask for a call back from a doctor. Dr Vijayadeva called me back within 15 minutes and was extremely helpful, listening to my symptoms, organising an appointment and carefully explaining steps to follow until my appointment. Thank you.

16th April 2019
Response from Dr Shanker Vijayadeva

Thank you for your feedback - I hope your appointment tomorrow with my colleague goes well

15th April 2019
Written by a patient at The Barnabas Medical Centre

The best doctor that anyone could have! When Dr. Vijay left it was the most hardest time, as for many years I have never had a doctor who genuinely cares about it’s patients and goes the extra extra mile to meet each patients needs. Dr. Vijay actively listens and takes the time to understand and empathise. He also really helped me to motivate myself and empowered me to take those first steps in making healthy and positive changes in my life. No one can replace Dr. Vijay, I’ve never met any doctor who is so passionate and dedicated about his role, he works from the heart, it’s not merely a job for him, but a way of being. I cannot thank Dr. Vijay enough he has done so much for all patients, he literally deserves all the praise and all the awards for being the best in all that he does. Dr. Vijay is a true legend, and I’m honoured to say that he was once my doctor, thank you so so much.

17th April 2019
Response from Dr Shanker Vijayadeva

I am genuinely really touched by your review. Your kind words mean an awful lot and helps inspire me to keep trying my best. I do miss working at Barnabas Medical Centre after leaving in December 2017. I really hope you continue to make further positive steps in your life and I wish you all the very best for the future. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me your review

13th April 2019
Written by a patient at Cloister Road Surgery

I have used the services of Cloister Road Surgery on multiple occasions but I was always disappointed with the service their GPs have provided. Dr. Vijayadeva was different. While other GPs rushed through the appointment, Dr. Vijayadeva has listened to my problems and symphtons carefully. With other GPs in Cloister Road Surgery I always felt that they didn't care and they were only there to block me from accessing health care. With Dr. Vijayadeva, again, it was different. He took a holistic approach to my health issues, carefully thinking through the different types of causes that might be behind my sympthons. He referred me to several further diagnoses and consultation or he recommended cheap and harmless treatments to try. He also took a very pragmatic and cost conscious approach in doing so. E.g. instead of sending me to expensive and uncomfortable examinations to figure out if I have reflux, he recommended trying out a cheap and harmless acid regulator tablet, and if that helped we would investigate my issues further. He was also thorough in his approach during our consultation, he a ran a series of short checks on me to rule out some bigger issues (e.g. blood oxygen level, listening to my lungs, testing my lung capacity, etc.). With all other GPs in Cloister Road Surgery that I have met before it felt like I had to 'extract' their diagnosis out of them. Dr. Vijayadeva took the time to explain his thinking and diagnosis and the next steps throughout the consultation so I never felt being in the dark, furthermore he did this voluntarily, without me having to constantly poll his expert opinion. I have regained a huge amount of trust in Cloister Road Surgery yesterday. Thank you. And what would I improve? It's easy, why can't you have all your GP's like this?

16th April 2019
Response from Dr Shanker Vijayadeva

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave me a lengthy review - it is really appreciated and helps us strive to keep doing our best. I could see that you had a logical approach and had thought a lot about your symptoms and potential investigations that might be needed to establish the cause. This made it easy for me to explain my thought processes around different potential diagnoses or indeed whether there might be more than one cause of your symptoms. I am proud of my colleagues at Cloister Road Surgery and we often turn to each other as we have different areas of expertise. Different patients can suit different doctors, although we do attempt to adapt our approach/communication style to suit preferences of different patients. Our main restriction is the number of patients we need to see and the limited duration of appointments (10 minutes), which does not provide much time to explore all the concerns of patients and give detailed responses. On this occasion, we had more than 10 minutes as the next patient did not arrive for their appointment and it was the end of the working day. This unexpected extra time did contribute to your positive experience. Thank you again for your feedback