Dr Norma McAvoy

• Gastroenterology
  • Internal (General) Medicine

19th June 2017
Written by a carer at Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh

I am a carer for my friend who has been chronically unwell and has been in and out of hospital for several years. She has been unheard and as a result built up fear and distrusted many hospital staff causing more fear and resentment. Dr MacAvoy changed that completely. She even managed to have her undertake several very necessary procedures owing to the complete trust and belief we had in her. She is thorough, compassionate and extremely professional. Yes the clinic is busy and you do have to wait but she provides the continuity that is so badly lacking in many specialities today. Shes thorough and didnt stop until we had a clear path and diagnosis. She communicated well with other care givers and she went over and above the call of duty. We have recomended her to other family members. My friend is now under the care of the paliative care team but our time with Dr MacAvoy meant that her attitude towards other care givers was more open and trustfull and for that I cant thank her enough.

6th March 2017
Written by a patient at Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh

I had an appointment with this Doctor. The meeting was late by15min. During the meeting I felt rushed, I tried to slow her down and let me talk but she kept interrupting me and telling me how I felt before I was able to finish the sentence. I was having the problems not her. Afterwards I felt very upset and returned back to my GP amd asked to be referred to somebody else. I wont be seeing Dr Mcavoy again.

20th October 2015
Written by a patient at Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh

I was so impressed by the care and listening skills of this doctor. For years, decades, no one has really listened and I have been encouraged to live with my symptoms, now this doctor tells me there is no need to live with them I can be helped. I have the choice of being negative about the past or positive about the future, and choose the latter. I thank her and all those like her. A new generation of consultants who at last are listening.

Nearest Gastroenterologists