Dr Jeremy Rees

• Neurology

31st December 2012

I think that Dr Rees is very competent, well-versed & very highly respected in his field. I sought a referral to him on the basis of recommendations. He obviously cares very much about his patients too, & my comments are intended to be constructive. I also feel that he needs to remember that the doctor- patient relationship works best when greater sensitivity is employed. This includes listening to (but not necessarily agreeing with) patient's feelings, opinions & questions about treatments on offer at other institutions, particularly when they are faced with a serious condition, and I sought other opinions partly because I felt that Dr Rees was not listening to mine sufficiently. He has also been rude to me in front of other medical staff & students, which was highly upsetting & humiliating. No-one deserves to be spoken to in this way, especially when they are faced with a difficult prognosis. Dr Rees is thorough in his manner, and I do have a high level of trust in him. I have recently noted a positive improvement in his bedside manner, & whether or not it relates to new observations about my condition, it is heartening to see. I hope that he will bear this in mind when treating other patients.

2nd January 2011

I was first referred to see Dr Rees in 2000, at the age of 16, after suffering from occasional epilectic-like seizures. Although I am obviously no expert, I am convinced that many doctors would have been quick to diagnose me as having epilepsy. Dr Rees kept a diagnosis open for some time, instead opting for me going through various tests. He eventually discovered a small growth in my brain, but again his judgement was perfect when he chose to monitor the growth (as it was his opinion that at that point surgery posed a greater threat than the actual growth) rather than to operate. Eventually, in late 2004, Dr Rees informed me that the risk posed by the growth (which by this point had been identified as a tumour, almost definitely benign and with a cystic component attached) was increasing. He went on to consult his neurosurgeon colleague, Neil Kitchen, and they agreed that I could be operated on with relatively small risk. The surgery was completed successfully in 2006, when I was 22. Had it not been for Dr Rees and his colleagues, I would not be here today. I will forever be grateful for the wonderful care that I have received from everyone at University College Hospitals. As both an outpatient and inpatient, I have always received excellent service, by true professionals from the admin staff right through to the experts. I could not rate Dr Rees highly enough, as your ratings only allow up to 100%!

Short link to review Dr Jeremy Rees: http://iwgc.net/efca