Dr Douglas Natusch

• Anaesthetics and ITU

1st August 2016
Written by a patient at Torbay Hospital

The most professional,kind,caring down to earth Dr you could ever have the pleasure in meeting. Dr Natusch is the best listener and open minded Dr I have ever been treated by. This gentleman needs more recognition for the amazing Dr he is who radiates hope,happiness and kindness where ever he goes. An NHS of Dr Natusch's would still not cover all the patients that deserve to "feel better about themselves" like this wonderful Dr makes you do,in my opinion it helps with your general well being and Dr Natusch never fails to deliver. Whether it be at the beginning of his days practise or at the end of a long challenging day he has time and patience in abundance ,I know some Drs would find this difficult and become quite short with you. Let's hope with all the Medical Students he works with ,advises and teaches they will all be Dr Natusch's further on in their working lives. Dr Natusch goes that extra mile when to be fair he doesn't have to. He takes interest with aspects of your well being mentally and physically. He always has a kind word to say even when you feel at your very lowest and you may not be brimming with happiness and feel somewhat negative,there are always words he uses that give you some faith back to carry on managing your pain successfully. Working with those who live with chronic pain and how frustrated,sad ,fatigued and angry it can make you is far from the easiest field a Dr can practise in but Dr Natusch does with such knowledge and professionalism. The late great Dr Kate Granger (RIP) whom founded " hello,my name is" for all Healthcare workers to use when greeting patients whether it be a Consultant or voluntary workers always come to mind when Dr Natusch addresses himself to patient and Dr alike. The best piece of mind you can have regarding your health is when you know you have such a Knowledgeable ,approachable Dr that within reason you can access or a Dr can your behalf can whilst he is in the hospital. I could double the amount of words I have typed in this review and it would be twice as positive. There is no particular date to put on this review as my care is on going and has been for 10 years. I just think this fantastic Gentleman and Dr needs to be praised and noticed even more for his great attitude and skills. MICHELLE PRIESTLEY A PATIENT OF DR NATUSCH'S AT TORBAY HOSPITAL ( I give my permission for my identity to be printed with this review)

17th June 2016
Written by a patient at Newton Abbot Hospital

I am so happy that Dr Douglas Natusch is my Pain Management Consultant. He is by far the best doctor I have ever met, and I've met quite a few with my mum also in long term pain management and in and out of hospital every couple of months for the past 10 years, my troubles starting at 16, trying medication after medication which wouldn't work, would for a while but then need to increase the dose, or would make me worse..to ending up on, I think I counted 29 tablets a day, at the age of 28. I was at my lowest point when I first met him and I spent most of the time crying, but by the end of it I was smiling. When I could see no way out, and didn't want to deal with the pain and all the stuff that came with it, depression etc, I felt instantly more positive just from the way he is, as a Dr, a gentleman, with genuine concern and compassion for the fact that, not only are you in pain (which is what the other doctors see), but also how it affects your life on a daily basis. The feeling that he just 'understands' was a welcome breath of fresh air. He gets the things that no one else does, unless they are experiencing a similar problem themselves, like the smallest activity (whether mental or physical) can take a big toll, and most people, including doctors, don't seem to understand. He doesn't judge, with me he gives his opinion, we discuss it and agree what the next plan of action will be. I know my problems (severe migraines plus all the side effects from my many medications, and depression) are nothing compared to some of the patients Dr Natusch see's, but that does not come across from him at all, he sits and listens, to everything, not just the pain part, but the rest of your life and how it affects your life, your mood, and he's very good at reading people although I made it a little difficult by keeping my sunglasses on (light sensitivity most of the time), but he made completely sure I was happy and everything was covered. At the end he asked me to listen while he recorded the notes for his secretary, incase he missed anything, but no, all on point. I'm sure he didn't make any notes once we started talking so just shows that he was actually listening, and there was a lot to take in, several referrals etc, and he got it all, no corrections needed. It was just under a year ago that I had my first appointment, and although right now I'm not great, I'm on the right path, thanks to Dr Natusch. He was the first doctor to stop and say 'hang on, you're on how much medication?' and took instant action to start coming off the ones that clearly were not helping, if anything were making things worse. We have almost halfed my medication and I'm just coming out of the withdrawal from anti-depressants, and continuing to reduce medications 1 by 1, it's a long process and this year has been hell but it can only get better. Sorry, this was a long review, but have to give credit where credit is due. 5* on everything! Thank you Dr Douglas Natusch. You saved me. Miss K M

21st July 2015

Douglas Natusch is a gentleman and has to be the most genuine caring doctor I have had ever. One of only a few left unless Douglas Natusch is able to teach future Doctors to be so wonderful at their jobs and firstly to gain the correct attitude. He is extremely well educated and can help with even the most complicated of cases. A very good Dr who has gave me so much help by listening and not preaching.

10th December 2013
Written by a patient at Torbay Hospital

Dr Douglas Natusch is the kindest dr I have ever been treated by. He works so tremendously professional whilst at the same time he is on the patients level and never uses the words or terms that the patient would not understand. I am a long standing patient of this Dr and anything he says he will do even if has to go out of his way to do it,he will do it no matter what.Such an understanding and caring gentleman. He works very hard indeed. Dr Douglas Natusch had done so much for me he has worked many hours sometimes even coming onto the ward just to check how I am doing with the pain relief I had been written up for whilst a patient in Torbay Hospital. I have had Some very bad times with my health and understanding how I have to adjust my life, Dr Douglas Natusch has sat with me and listened to my many fears and he has not left me until he knows I have calmed down and my fears have turned around to positivity. I have a protocol now to show to the Drs and Nurses should I be admitted to hospital when Dr Douglas Natusch is not on duty. In all fairness I have been a challenge at times but he just sees me through it helps me pick up the pieces and put me on the right path. I could go on and on telling of his expertise and his wonderful caring way of working. The chance of being able to write such a lovely statement regarding Dr Douglas Natusch has been down to him his self and all his hard work. A fantastic man with an awful lot of knowledge. I would recommend Dr Douglas Natusch to everyone who requires an understanding Dr to help them with their needs,no matter how big or small,a Dr that acts very fairly,does not judge anyone,very understanding to those suffering chronic pain for life like myself and requiring a Dr who can brighten up your day and make you feel better about yourself and help you to gain a certain amount of confidence.

Nearest Anaesthetists and ITU specialists