Dr Abdul Gatrad

Professor A R Gatrad OBE has been a child specialist at the Manor hospital for over 25 years. He is nationally and internationally known through many of his publications and the 2 books that he has written. He holds a national award for clinical excellence.

Dr Abdul Gatrad? Claim your profile.

• Paediatrics

Written by a carer at Spire Little Aston Hospital
4th July 2017

We first saw prof Gatrad when my daughter was just a few months old and was struggling with feeding and putting on weight. After getting nowhere with GP we decided to go privately. I must state that as a new mother I was desperately worried and anxious and althoughmy daughter needed treatment I also needed the support and reassurance for myself. From the minute we walked in I felt much more relaxed and welcomed by prof Gatrad. He listened (with genuine interest and care) to our worries and concerns and had a very warm and caring manner with my daughter. At no point was I made to feel like an over reactive mother, rushed or patronised as I had previously with GP. My daughter was fully examined and a care plan put in place that my was explained to myself and husband and prof Gatrad made sure we were happy and confident with the next steps. I left feeling as if a huge weight had been lifted off me knowing that my daughter had been properly and extremely examined and I was confident in the next steps. She continued to improve following treatment and a few return visits before we were discharged. Following the reccomended treatment she became a much happier and healthier baby. Now my daughter is 3 and we have seen prof Gatrad recently due to issues with her use if the potty and constipation. After 3 years prof Gatrad still remembered us and again we felt very welcomed. We explained our issues and again felt completely at ease and that all of our concerns were fully listened to. The advice and plan that we were given literally has worked miracles with my daughter in just a few weeks! She is a totally different child and I can't believe the change in her- all thanks to the support and encouragement of prof Gatrad. He has built an excellent relationship with my daughter who totally adores him and gets very excited when she knows she's going for her appointment with Prof G! I am 100% confident in prof Gatrad and would like to thank him for his excellent treatment, support and kindness with my family over the past three years.

Written by a member of staff at Manor Hospital
2nd January 2017

As a medical student, I greatly appreciated the teaching and mentorship provided by Prof. Gatrad. His commitment to medical education and improving the standard of care delivered by healthcare professionals is very inspiring. He taught my tutor group 2-3 times a week for a 5-week paediatric block; such exposure to a well-respected senior clinician is a rare opportunity. His wealth of experience in UK and foreign medical systems tailors his kind and sensitive approach to the doctor-patient relationship, which he sought to pass on to his students through a variety of teaching styles, including role-play, bedside teaching and case-based discussion. He was able to assess us over this placement and provide constructive feedback to improve each student and help us reach the best of our abilities. As well as clinical teaching, he aims to encourage a young generation of doctors to use their skills for charitable and humanitarian causes. This is in particular of great interest to me, and Prof. Gatrad was welcoming to my ideas and getting involved. He has continued to stay in touch to further my aspirations and goals in this field, and for that I am very grateful.

Written by a carer at Manor Hospital
30th December 2016

Dr Gatrad is without question our paediatrician of choice. My husband and I initially took our son to see Dr Gatrad in 2014 and when we needed advice/help again recently we asked for the referral to go specifically to him. Dr Gatrad is a true professional who carefully listens to our concerns and takes time to answer all the questions we have. After carefully examining our little boy relevant tests were requested and he thoroughly explained what he was wanting to check and why. What we truly value is that he wanted us as parents to feel 100% reassured. He is incredibly diligent and respectful and each time we feel that our son is in the very best of hands. Nothing is too much trouble for him - his passion for his work is genuine and admirable. He is an outstanding clinician and we recommend him whole heartedly.

Written by a carer at Manor Hospital
15th December 2016

The professional care and follow up we have received from Professor Gatrad for our son has been fantastic. He really cares about children, provides excellent support to parents and makes an unnerving time so much more manageable. My husband and I cannot thank him enough for ensuring our little boy is fit and well. His kind hearted, genuine nature puts everyone at ease. We recommend him without question.

Written by a member of staff at Manor Hospital
9th October 2016

Prof Gatrad is an excellent clinician, he really cares about patients and his attention to detail is amazing. Not only this but his dedication to teaching is incredible, he takes the time to explain things in detail and see things from different perspectives. He's inspires you the learn more but also to give back. As a professional I am truely in awe of all that he is able to accomplish. He is a kind, generous persons who always puts patient cares first and inspires greatness in his colleges.

Nearest Paediatricians