Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (rTMS)

17th February 2019
Written by a patient at Berrywood Hospital

Whilst the quality of the nursing care whilst receiving treatment is very good, there is a tremendous lack of patient-centred care or involvement in the process. You have to repetitively fill out assessment forms throughout the treament but there's no discussion nor feedback upon what is written and the patient is not privy to the resulting discussions about their treatment. There is a definite sense of 'being done to' by the service and not 'being part of' the process of your care. And if the treatment doesn't work for you then you are made to feel expendable. I was given 24 hours notice that the next treatment was to be my last and after that last treatment a nurse went through yet another psychological assessment form before lazily flicking through a folder of groups and activities that were of no interest to me. I was then escorted from the ward with no information regarding my treatment or what would happen next. I am left with a sense of having been abused; that I was there more for the benefit of the service, that I was excluded from discussions about my treatment and that I was expendable at their whim.

Written by a patient at Berrywood Hospital

I don't like the mask over my face.

Written by a patient at Berrywood Hospital

Due to a discrepancy in my treatment file there was too much upset to continue my rTMS that week. A review was done with the consultant who apparently said to continue my treatment. It was not made clear in the notes as to whether that was to continue with both types of treatment (RHS & LHS) or to follow my original treatment plan which was 10 + 20. I had finished my course of 10 the previous Friday. They also said they needed to check "the review booklet". That info needs to be added into my care plan.

Written by a patient at Berrywood Hospital

Staff are very good, positive patient and friendly. The rTMS sessions are long and the magnet is heavy and uncomfortable and the treatment programme is long and intense and needs travelling into hospital. It would be better if the technology develops to make the treatment less intensive.

13th July 2018
Written by a patient at Berrywood Hospital

Excellent in every way as usual carried out by very caring people