Hip replacement

Quality of life
10th September 2018
Written by a patient at Warwick Hospital

Every aspect of my treatment by Warwickshire was exemplary, from the speed of my referral to Mr Faisal and other consultants, the quality of information provided prior to my hip replacement, the excellent care provided at Warwick Hospital during and after my operation, and the after-care given by the SWATT team, who visited me at home just two days after my op. I opted for a spinal anaesthetic during the operation, which I'm glad about, as I was fully aware of everything that took place. The operation took no more than 50 minutes, and was carried out with consummate skill and consideration for me as a person. The anaesthetist, Emmett, and another doctor present, Simon, were incredibly skilled at keeping me informed and relaxed, with sensitive commentary, interesting conversation and wonderful humour! I want to give particular praise to the care I received for the 30 hours I was in Greville Ward. The staff there are incredible: warm, sensitive, professional, genuinely caring, and again, incredibly good-humoured. My pain was managed superbly, and my stay in hospital was made almost enjoyable through their excellent work! I want to single out in particular Michelle, Debbie, Dora and Glenda, whose care went beyond the call of duty. A SWATT team representative, Catherine, visited me at home just one day after I left hospital. She was extremely helpful, encouraging and professional, and her visit helped me greatly in clarifying my course of drugs, exercises and precautions. In summary, I would recommend Warwick Hospital for a hip replacement without a moment's hesitation. An excellent, holistic service!

Quality of life
30th August 2016

I have had both hips replaced (4years apart) as an NHS patient at the Ramsay Treatment Centre (Horton Hospital, Banbury). Both operations were performed by consultant Mr James E Owen. He was very clear in his explanations of the process and throughout I felt very well looked after. I had an epidural for both operations which worked well and I would recommend this. After the second operation I lost more blood and felt very unwell in the middle of the night, the rapid response and understanding of the night staff was excellent. One of the staff made me a cup of tea and sat chatting to me until I was relaxed enough to go back to sleep. I found all the staff very friendly and helpful.