Birmingham Heartlands Hospital

Bordesley Green East, Birmingham, England, B9 5SS

28th May 2019

I stayed in Critical Care Ward 4 and I was very well looked after. The food was fine and everyone looked after me really well. I'm very grateful for the care I was given during my few days in Hospital, recovering from my operation.

29th March 2019

DO NOT GO TO THIS TERRIBLE HOSPITAL IF YOU ARE A RENAL PATIENT!!. Their service is -1. They know the problems but they do not want to deal with them. They treat all the patients horribly. My partner 23 years old with end stage kidney disease, they force their own treatment opinions on you, like she didnt even get to choose the type of dialysis she can do. They kept her in the hospital for 3 weeks with no real treatment and when we 'complained' or asked for help, they started ignoring her and mistreating her. THEY ARE ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE, MAINLY THE DOCTORS. I understand there is nothing the nurses can do to help, but they are not even attentive. DO NOT DO NOT GO THERE. Why do we pay NI for this terrible service?

13th March 2019

I am a 69 year old woman suffering widespread emphysema in both lungs and am on home oxygen. I was due to have a tumour removed from my bladder on 4th March and was told to be at admissions for 7.30 am. Knowing admissions was a long way from the entrance, my 81 year old husband who suffers from C.O.P.D. got me to the hospital at 6.45. My last drink of water had been at 6.am. By around 10 am, I had been seen by the anaesthetist and surgeon, signed consent forms etc and was in a hospital gown. I then sat in the waiting room in a wheel-chair connected to my portable oxygen. My 81 year old husband with me. I began to worry how long my own oxygen would last and one of the nurses connected me up to the hospital oxygen in the waiting room. Unfortunately, the hospital oxygen only had about 2 or 3 feet of tubing so when I needed the loo, my husband had to disconnect me and re-connect me to the portable, then back to hospital. By midday,(6 hours without a drink) I was beginning to feel distressed. By 2 pm, (8 hours without a drink) my anxiety (a known side effect of emphysema) was such that I felt weak and was becoming more breathless, even with constant oxygen. Now, my poor husband is having to swap oxygen over, put my portable with me in the wheel-chair and push me to the loo, just a couple of meters away. This went on until 4 pm, (10 hours without a drink) and I feel near to collapse. I was then finally taken to theatre in my wheel-chair. Once in theatre, I was asked to take my own oxygen off for a moment and get on to the op table. I took my oxygen off, stood up and immediately had a massive panic attack. The anaesthetist was very quick to give me a sedative and time to clam down and recover, I thank her for that. Post op, I was on ward 10, once again, tethered to a small amount of oxygen tubing. feeling confused and nauseous. I could go on, but what's the point? Lastly, I wan't to make it clear that this is not a complaint about the nursing staff. All nurses I came into contact with were pleasant and apologetic, but run off their feet, no time. My complaint is directed at those who thought it acceptable to leave some-one on oxygen, with severe emphysema, sitting in a waiting room for 10 hours without fluids. That was not the nurses fault. If patients are being admitted with a pre-existing severe condition and that condition is ignored, well, there's no hope. And that is why, I will never step foot inside Heartlands again.

16th February 2019

The staff at the maternity ward were unbelievably rude. I genuinely could not believe how disrespectful they were towards me. I appreciate someone can have a bad day and sometimes take it out on others but the nurses at the maternity ward were so rude I just could not believe it. This was across two days, so clearly it wasn’t a one off. I was going to visit my sister who had just had a new born. I was buzzed into the ward and went straight to the service desk to ask which bay my sister could be in and as soon as I mentioned her name the lady was so rude saying there’s only 2 allowed per bed you need to get out! I was a little taken back and said that’s absalutly fine. I wasn’t aware that she had visitors with her already. She then said you need to get out now! I asked her if she could go and let my sister know that I’m here so that she could make room for me and maybe send one person out to swap with me but the lady was just rude and said GET OUT! she said she hasn’t got time to ask these questions. I said I don’t mind asking myself if your busy and either leave or get someone else to leave so we can stick to the two per bed rule, she said NO. I ended up having to wait for 45 mins until the other visitor left. When I came into the ward, the nurse was sarcastically saying ‘it wasn’t that hard to wait was it’ she was extremely rude and patronising. When I went to see my sister I had asked if the nurses had mentioned I was outside and she said none of them came in to say that. The next day there was another nurse on the desk and she was just as bad. Saying to me that you better not have more than two per bed. I’m going to come down and kick you out if I find that is the case. This is before I’ve even got to my sister. She then said, ‘and don’t pretend to sit on someone else’s bed to make the numbers up I know what people like you are like! I was genuinely shocked at the disrespect. Cedar ward staff in the Heartlands hospital - 16-02-19

15th January 2019

All staff lovely friendly and caring

{{category}} working at Birmingham Heartlands Hospital ({{entities.length}})

Short link to review Birmingham Heartlands Hospital: http://iwgc.net/eb3pd