Dr Siwan Thomas Gibson

Dr Thomas-Gibson is a consultant Gastroenterologist with a specialist interest in endoscopy. She has worked as a consultant since 2006 and is currently the Clinical Lead for Endoscopy in The Wolfson Unit for Endoscopy at St.Mark's Hospital, a designated World Centre of Excellence for Endoscopy. She also works at the London Clinic in Harley Street London. Her special interests are in Bowel Cancer screening, the detection and treatment of pre-cancerous polyps (growths) in the bowel; colonoscopy for evaluation and treatment of bowel disease; diagnosis, assessment and management of inflammatory bowel disease as well as the diagnosis and management of other gastrointestinal conditions. She has an extensive track record in research and teaching in the field of academic endoscopy and focuses on high quality and safety in endoscopy. She is dedicated to delivering excellent care for all patients within the departments in which she works.

• Gastroenterology
  • Internal (General) Medicine

22nd April 2016
Written by a patient at St Mark's Hospital

An excellent doctor, who listens to, and speaks with, rather than at, her patient. No niggling worries the patient may have is too trivial for her consideration and she goes out of her way to explain and re-assure. She encompasses knowledge, skill, experience and dedication . What more can a patient need?

22nd January 2016
Written by a patient at St Mark's Hospital

Dr Thomas-Gibson is a wonderful doctor. She is extremely knowledgeable and also has a very genuine caring approach.

4th December 2015
Written by a patient at St Mark's Hospital

She was very patient by answering all my question given my lack of knowledge in the field. She is also empathetic by listening carefully to my concerns and understanding were I was coming from.

23rd September 2014
Written by a patient at St Mark's Hospital

I recently had a colonoscopy performed by Dr. Thomas-Gibson at St. Mark's. I take no conventional medication and having had no hospital procedures in my 67-year life other than one Caesarean under epidural 26 years ago, a barium enema 35 years ago and a gastroscopy without sedation around 10 years ago, I was very anxious. Dr. Thomas-Gibson took the time to call me a few days before the procedure and the prep, to answer all my questions and put me at ease. This certainly helped. She did explain that it is possible to do the procedure without sedation but that the discomfort can often be stronger for small women and unfortunately, I am quite small. The preparation powder contains Aspartame (a neurotoxic carcinogen) and other toxic ingredients which I take great care to avoid but it was nowhere near as bad as I was expecting and the nurses at St. Mark's were very kind and empathetic. Dr. Thomas-Gibson understood that I wanted to undergo the procedure without sedation, using just gas and air, so that was how we started but sadly, it became too painful so sedation was administered and the procedure completed smoothly that way. Although undergoing this procedure involved the administration of substances I prefer not to have in my body, I still felt in very good hands with Dr. Thomas-Gibson. She is caring, empathetic, gentle and extremely competent. Her lovely confident smile is very reassuring. I feel blessed that she was the one to perform my colonoscopy and will definitely return to her, feeling much less anxious, if I need another. I would not choose anyone else.

1st August 2014
Written by a patient at St Mark's Hospital

I had a colonoscopy a couple of weeks ago. Dr Thomas Gibson and the rest of the nurses were so wonderful. I never expected to have such a pleasant experience during such an unpleasant procedure! Having said that, I was quite nervous before the colonoscopy but the staff at St Mark's were very supportive and reassuring and put my mind at ease so the procedure itself wasn't anywhere near as bad as I had thought. I give the NHS great credit. We have an absolutely fantastic service with very dedicated and hard working people who are often very over worked and sadly over looked. Dr Thomas Gibson and the rest of the nurses are the reason why I rate the NHS so highly. Thank you for looking after me!

Nearest Gastroenterologists